PDA

View Full Version : Lots O' lemons and oranges

MaryH
01-25-2006, 10:25 PM
MY SIL has a huge basket of lemons and oranges. I've been asked to come up with a tried and true desssert. Any ideas? So far, all I can think of is the lemon cookies from the KA Cookie Companion (which are awesome but don't use so much zest and/or juice.)

oceanjasper
01-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Newcook posted this recipe that I made for my family last Easter. I wanted to make something non-traditional with a lighter flavour. These pudding cakes have a distinct lemon flavour that goes perfectly with the raspberry cream. We thoroughly enjoyed them!

Warm Lemon Pudding Cakes With Marbled Raspberry Cream

Recipe By :Mary Laulis
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 cup sugar -- plus 4 tablespoons
6 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (3/4 stick) room temperature
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
3 large eggs -- separated
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups milk -- (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
powdered sugar
Marbled Raspberry Cream

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter six 3/4-cup soufflé dishes or custard cups. Place dishes in large roasting pan. Using electric mixer, beat 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, 6 tablespoons butter and lemon peel in medium bowl until well blended. Add egg yolks 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in flour, then lemon juice. Gradually mix in milk (mixture will be thin and may look curdled).

Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks form. Add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Fold whites into yolk mixture in 3 additions (mixture will be runny).

Divide pudding-cake mixture among prepared soufflé dishes. Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of dishes.

Bake pudding cakes until puffed and firm to touch, about 25 minutes. Transfer dishes to plates. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Top with dollop of Marbled Raspberry Cream.

Source:
"Bon Appétit
April 1998"
Copyright:
"Epicurious Food © 2003 CondéNet Inc. All rights reserved."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 438 Calories; 27g Fat (53.9% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 174mg Cholesterol; 71mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 5 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : These elegant cakes have a soft pudding-like center and refreshing lemon flavor. Although best served warm, they can be made ahead and served at room temperature.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Marbled Raspberry Cream

Recipe By :Mary Laulis
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Sauces

1/2 cup thawed frozen raspberries in syrup
3/4 cup chilled whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar

Puree raspberries in syrup in processor. Strain puree; discard seeds. Beat whipping cream and sugar in medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Drizzle raspberry puree over cream. Using knife, swirl raspberry puree into cream just until marbled in appearance. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

Source:
"Bon Appétit
April 1998"
Copyright:
"Epicurious Food © 2003 CondéNet Inc. All rights reserved."
Yield:
"1 cup"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 140 Calories; 11g Fat (68.9% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol; 11mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 1233 1616 0

dorothyntototoo
01-26-2006, 07:47 AM
If I had an abundance of lemons, I'd make lemon curd. For Mother's Day a few years ago I made Meringue Baskets & filled them with Lemon Curd. They got rave reviews.

MERINGUE BASKETS WITH LEMON CURD

MERINGUE BASKETS

8 egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar

Beat egg whites with whisk attachment of electric mixer until light and foamy. Slowly add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until incorporated. Beat meringue at medium speed until stiff and very glossy, 8 to 10 minutes.

With ice cream scoop or 2 large spoons, drop 18 mounds of meringue on 2 baking sheets lined with greased parchment paper. Make deep pocket in each meringue by pushing back of spoon into center and using blunt knife or back of spoon to push meringue away from center.

Bake meringues at 200 degrees 1 1/2 hours. Turn off oven and leave meringues inside oven until dry, several hours or overnight. Cool. When ready to serve, fill each with 2 heaping tablespoons lemon curd. Optional garnish – candied lemon peel & mint leaves.

Makes 18 baskets.

Each basket:
175 calories; 87 mg sodium; 95 mg cholesterol; 7
grams fat; 27 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams protein; 0 fiber

LEMON CURD

5 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
4 lemons, zested and juiced
1 stick butter, cut into pats and chilled

Add enough water to a medium saucepan to come about 1-inch up the side. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, combine egg yolks and sugar in a medium size metal bowl and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute. Measure citrus juice and if needed, add enough cold water to reach 1/3 cup. Add juice and zest to egg mixture and whisk smooth. Once water reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and place bowl on top of saucepan. (Bowl should be large enough to fit on top of saucepan without touching the water.) Whisk until thickened, approximately 8 minutes, or until mixture is light yellow and coats the back of a spoon. Remove promptly from heat and stir in butter a piece at a time, allowing each addition to melt before adding the next. Remove to a clean container and cover by laying a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

MaryH
01-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Dorothy

Out of curiosity, can use freeze the lemon curd?

yomomma
01-26-2006, 08:34 AM
No matter what you end up doing w/ the lemons and oranges, let me encourage you to save the rind and make candied peels. You will be amazed how wonderful they are.

LLR
01-26-2006, 08:53 AM
I too have an abundance of lemons, and was also curious about what to do with them, your post is just at the right time, I plan to make some lemon pudding cakes for dessert tonight and also the CL Lemon Biscotti with Sour Lemon Drizzle and lemon curd, but I have read online that freezing it may not be good, as it states since it is a custard type recipe that it may turn runny after freezing so I will just make some that will keep in the refrigerator for now.

Also Dorothy, your recipe for lemon curd is missing the amount of egg yolks in the ingredient list.

heavy hedonist
01-26-2006, 09:14 AM
During the summer, I tested recipes for seven different lemon chess type pies-- this was one of our favorites. Who gave it to me is lost in the wilds of my cooking notebooks...

LEMON CHESS PIE

1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked

1/2 C butter, melted

1/2 C each brown sugar & white sugar

3 eggs

1 Tbsp cornmeal

2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice *

1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix butter & sugars together in large bowl. Add all other ingredients, mix well, and pour into crust. Bake for 45 minutes at 350, until set and golden. Cool completely before eating, at least 2 hours. Also delicious chilled. store in refrigerator.

* I used about 4/5 Tbsp lemon juice to make it very lemony; I had found most lemon pie recipes didn't use enough.

We liked this cooled, but loved it chilled. Try both!

swquilts
01-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Hey Mary, make those pudding cakes and if they're good you can do them again for the next Supper Club!! :D :D They sound wonderful and I LOVE anything with lemon. :D :cool:

Grace
01-26-2006, 09:53 AM
I know you said dessert, but I vote for making the Winter Spiced Sangria from the November issue with at least some of those lemons and oranges! SOOO good! :D

Laurielee
01-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Kathcy B posted this recipe last weekend for me because my mom was in search of a pie to use up her lemons and mom and dad raved about it, Dad thought it was made by a professional chef

laurie

Lemon Meringue Pie

Recipe By :The Perfect Recipe Baking Book by Murray Jaffe
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pies, Crisps, and Cobblers

1 prebaked 9-inch pie crust
FOR THE FILLING
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
7 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
4 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons salted butter
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
FOR THE MERINGUE
4 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup granulated sugar

PREHEAT THE OVEN
Set the oven to 350 degrees. Position the rack in the center of the oven.

MIXING THE FILLING
1. Put the sugar, cornstarch and salt into a medium-sized saucepan and whisk them together until no lumps of cornstarch remain.

2. Add the water and lemon juice and mix thoroughly.

3. Beat the egg yolks with a fork for 10 or 15 seconds, add them to the saucepan and mix thoroughly.

4. Turn the heat to medium and heat the mixture until it reaches a boil, stirring occasionally; stir continuously when it starts to get very hot.

5. Continue stirring until the mixture reaches a boil. Small bubbles will start to appear around the very edges, but do not consider this as reaching the boil. When the first larger bubbles appear, somewhere in the middle of the mixture, that is the boiling point. Boil for about 1 minute and then turn off the heat. The filling should be thick.

6. Stir in the butter until it melts. Add the lemon peel.

7. Immediately make the meringue, as you want to cover the pie with meringue while the filling is still hot.

MAKING THE MERINGUE
Beat the egg whites at high speed until they are frothy. Add the cream of tartar and about a third of the sugar. Continue beating, add another third of the sugar in about a minute, and the remaining third a minute after that. Continue beating until the meringue holds a stiff peak when the whisk is lifted up. Do not over beat; you want it stiff and shiny but not dry.

APPLYING THE MERINGUE
1. Pour the filling into the prebaked crust.

2. Using two spoons, one to scoop up and the other to push off the meringue, place the meringue evenly over the filling, making certain that the meringue always touches the edge of the crust. If you don't seal the meringue to the crust, it will shrink during baking.

3. Use your spoon to lift up small, swirling peaks in the meringue until your artistic sensibilities are satisfied.

BROWNING THE MERINGUE
1. Put the pie into the oven and bake until the meringue starts to brown. This should take about 10 minutes, but watch it carefully toward the end as you want the tips browned but not burned.

2. Remove the pie from the oven, let it cool down and then place it in the refrigerator for at least several hours before serving.

SERVING THE PIE
Because meringue is sticky and sometimes does not cut neatly, use a thin, sharp knife and, if at all possible, rinse it under hot water after each slice, or wipe down the knife with a clean, wet dish towel after each slice.

Jan 2004, Brenda's Notes: This was easy to make and turned out a beautiful, tall, and tasty pie. I think I used 3, maybe 4 medium lemons. I used a refrigerated pie dough. The pie seemed very rich to me and the filling was rather opaque, but needed no artificial coloring. There was lots of filling and it was a bit on the tart side rather than sugary sweet.

Source:
"The Perfect Recipe Baking Book: 50 foolproof recipes for America's classic cakes, pies, cookies, and more, by Murray Jaffe"
Copyright:
"(1996) Dutton, Div of Penguin Books USA Inc.; ISBN: 0-525-94228-9"

NOTES : This recipe produces a great lemon meringue pie, complete with crispy crust, intense lemon filling and a white-as-a-cloud meringue topping. It looks too good to eat but most people can force themselves to do just that. This is one of America's favorite pies and it is equally at home in the see-through refrigerated shelf of a country diner as it is on a porcelain cake dish on your own dinner table. It is a dessert that truly deserves its popularity.

MaryH
01-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Lauirelee, that one looks good. Perhaps I could make one lemon and one orange one. I also want to try Dorothy's, but I need to get the amount of yolks for the curd first.

dorothyntototoo
01-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Oops! When I cut & pasted, the egg yolks disappeared. :eek: I've edited the recipe. I don't think you can freeze lemon curd but you can buy it in jars. If you do canning, you could process it in jars, I'd bet. Then it would last a long time.

jtoepfert100
01-26-2006, 04:10 PM
During the summer, I tested recipes for seven different lemon chess type pies--

What a hard job! How did you manage . . ;)

dorothyntototoo
01-26-2006, 05:20 PM
I didn't have time earlier to type out this recipe. This cake is really good & will use both lemon & orange juice. If you're making lemon curd, you can use some of it for this too.

I've taken orange peel & chopped finely & air-dried them. I added it to cranberries as they were cooking & other recipes that needed a little citrus flavor.

LEMON CAKE

Cake:
1 ¼ c. sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
3 eggs
¾ c. unsalted butter, room temp.
¾ c. sour cream
¼ c. plus 2 T. orange juice
2 T. lemon juice
1 ¾ c. cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt

Lemon Curd:
2/3 c. sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
5 egg yolks
½ c. lemon juice
Pinch of salt
½ c. butter, melted and hot

Lemon Icing:
3 c. confectioners sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
Pinch of salt
4 - 5 T. sour cream
5 T. unsalted butter
2 T. Lemon Curd

Cake:
Mince sugar and lemon zest in food processor until zest is very fine. Add eggs and process one minute. Add butter and process one minute more. Add sour cream, orange juice and lemon juice; mix well. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to batter and mix just to combine. Do not over process.

Butter three 8-inch pans, line with waxed paper and butter again. Divide batter among the pans. Bake on the middle rack at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on wire racks. Remove cake from pans and cool completely.

Prepare Lemon Curd by mincing sugar and lemon zest in F.P. until zest is very fine. Add yolks, lemon juice and salt; process. With machine running, pour hot butter through the food tube. Pour into saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Do not boil. Cool; cover and refrigerate. Reserve 2 Tablespoons for Icing.

Prepare Lemon Icing by mincing sugar and lemon zest in F.P. until zest is very fine. Add remaining ingredients. I add a few drops of yellow food coloring. Refrigerate 15 minutes. If icing is too thin, add more confectioners sugar.

To assemble, spread bottom and middle layers of cake with Lemon Curd. Cover top and sides of the cake with Lemon Icing.

NOTE: Lemon curd will keep 2-3 months in the refrigerator.

MaryH
01-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Dorothy, thank you so much. I was actually wondering what to do with the extra yolks (I will probably double or triple the meringue basket recipe (SIL has an event she needs to bring something to).

One other question, if I don't want extra yolks, have you tried making it using some of the pre-packaged egg whites? (For example, I would use 5 regular egg whites and then add the equivalent of three more.)

dorothyntototoo
01-27-2006, 08:43 AM
I've never bought egg whites. If you mean EggBeaters, I wouldn't use those because they have other stuff in them. Eggs here are $1 or less per dozen so I'd buy the eggs & scramble the extra yolks for breakfast.

MaryH
01-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Dorothy, I made the meringues and the lemon cake. Both were excellent. Thank you.

Rosalie
01-31-2006, 07:59 PM
These Lemon Bars are awesome!!! They freeze well and are just so good. :)

Butter Crunch Lemon-Cheese Bars

A buttery, crunchy pastry crust forms the base for a tangy lemon filling. You can substitute fresh orange juice and grated orange rind for lemon, if you wish. These are best served chilled.

CRUST:
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
1 cup all-purpose flour
Cooking spray

FILLING:
1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg
1 large egg white

Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare crust, place first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Add 1 cup flour to butter mixture, and beat at low speed until well-blended. Press crust into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
To prepare filling, place cottage cheese in a food processor; process 2 minutes or until smooth, scraping sides of bowl once. Add 1 cup granulated sugar and remaining ingredients, and process until well-blended. Pour filling over crust. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until set (the edges will get lightly browned), and cool. Cover and chill for 8 hours.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 bar)

CALORIES 281 (29% from fat); FAT 9g (satfat 5.2g, monofat 2.6g, polyfat 0.6g); PROTEIN 6.7g; CARBOHYDRATE 44.5g; FIBER 0.5g; CHOLESTEROL 49mg; IRON 1.1mg; SODIUM 298mg; CALCIUM 40mg;

dorothyntototoo
01-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Dorothy, I made the meringues and the lemon cake. Both were excellent. Thank you.

Glad you liked them. Any leftovers for me? :D

zackaboo
02-01-2006, 08:59 AM
I don't think you can freeze lemon curd but you can buy it in jars. If you do canning, you could process it in jars, I'd bet. Then it would last a long time.

I always use CL's recipe for Lemon Curd and have frozen it several times. It is always just as good when I take it out of the freezer. The note about freezing on the recipe is theirs.

By the way, all of these recipes look great. I have some Meyer Lemons to use up and was trying to figure out what to make. Now I have numerous ideas to choose from!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon Curd

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sauces/Marinades

3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
2 large eggs
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)
2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine

Combine the first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a whisk. Cook until sugar dissolves and mixture is light in color (about 3 minutes). Stir in lemon juice and butter; cook for 5 minutes or until mixture thinly coats the back of a spoon, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cool. Cover and chill (the mixture will thicken as it cools).

Source:
"Cooking Light"
Yield:
"1 1/3 cups"

NOTES : Lemon curd can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. You can easily double the recipe and freeze half of it in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Thaw in the refrigerator, and use within 1 week of thawing.