PDA

View Full Version : Cats and leather furniture

Middydd
01-28-2006, 01:25 PM
We need new couches, Costco has some leather ones in that I like. I'm just wondering how leather does with cat claws.

One cat is very active and runs on to furniture, stops, digs in and then runs away. Will the claws mark the leather?

Keeping them off the furniture is just not an option at this point, they're 8 and 6 years old. They go everywhere except the kitchen counters and dining room table.

Peggy
01-28-2006, 01:48 PM
I've had leather couches (2 different ones) for over twenty years with three different cats. None of my cats have ever put claws into the leather. My first two cats were known to claw the legs of my fabric couch but they never touched the leather. I don't know if this is typical for all cats and leather furniture but this has been my experience.

Peggy

southjerseymom
01-28-2006, 02:53 PM
We haven't had a problem with our cats on the leather sofa. They'd rather claw the side of a wing back chair we have!

Beth
01-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Our family room has a leather sectional, and it has been more kid and cat friendly than anything I can imagine. I've gotten ink off it twice, so the boys have proven to be the greater leather challenge. The only spot I'm aware of from teh cats is a slight 2-claw scratch on the edge where my big kitty was jumping to get away and I was trying to get her. I had to look to find it just now, and if you put some conditioner on it, it fades in pretty well.

When you look at leather, know that some surfaces are more forgiving. Glove soft and those aged looking ones will show a lot more than one that it not quite so soft and has some texture to it. But it doesn't have to be heavy or pebbley either.

sharris315
01-28-2006, 03:47 PM
My DD has two cats and a leather sofa. The sofa shows MANY cat claw marks--not scratches, but rather little punctures where they have climbed across it. I think this leather is a softer leather than some--that may be the difference. At any rate, the cats have definitely made their mark on this piece of furniture!

Shar

moonbeam
01-28-2006, 05:16 PM
A volunteer where I used to work told me her cats ruined her leather sofa. I know my cats put a scratch mark in my cherry dresser when leaping up one time, so I wouldn't be surprised if they marked leather.

mbrogier
01-28-2006, 05:44 PM
If the leather is not anilyne dyed--the dye doesn't go all the way through, then the cats can scratch the surface finish off. Rivets on jeans, a fork, etc. could do the same thing. For good leather, cat claws aren't an issue, especially if you keep your cats' claws clipped. My cats have scuffed up the ottoman of my leather set, but a little leather conditioner made it look good as new. My leather set is 4 years old and both of my cats are 5. The leather set still looks new, and the cats love climbing on it and jumping off of it. When we first had the leather set, we put these claw covers on our cats so they weren't tempted to use the leather as a scratching post. www.softpaws.com

When looking at the leather sets, there is a leather swatch under the sofa cushions. The bottom of the swatch should be nearly identical in color as the top. If it isn't, you know the top has been treated with a finish. Also try to scrape the top with your nails or even scissors to see how sturdy it is.

Arete
01-28-2006, 06:14 PM
We have a 9 yeal old, top-grain, aniline-dyed leather sofa and loveseat set... and I'm sad to report that is does bear the torture inflicted by one older and 4 younger cats. My cats don't use it like a scratching post, but I apparently have the world's most active cats. The young ones like to race around the living room (enticing the dogs to chase them, because I think they like to try to get the dogs in trouble) and you can see little punctures where their claws have dug in as they take a sharp corner. However, I will say that I live in Colorado, which is an incredibly dry climate, and so it is extremely hard to keep the couches properly conditioned, which probably adds to the problem.

So, I think if you have wild "devil" cats like me and/or live in a dry climate, you might want to think twice about it. We are looking for replacements and are considering a microfiber... but I've heard mixed opinions on those too.

Beth
01-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Microfiber is great as far as cleaning and such (just use distilled water), but one of my cats has scratched on it.

Aubergine
01-29-2006, 06:25 PM
this is so apt! we brought home a stray 4-m-o m kitty a year ago october, and SO's thought was to get him declawed, which i resisted. so, ok, today i'm sitting in the leather recliner, actually running my fingers across his track-marks... and feeling really glad we didn't de-claw him. that's like the bite marks in my locket, from when my first born was teething. he's a terrific mouser, which we need around here.

more to the point, he has occasionally turned to shredding the fabric on one particular edge of my most costly fabric sofa, and i still love him more than i have words to express. it's like a child; no piece of stuff in my house, no matter how costly, can begin to hold a candle to the joy and comfort this cat has brought me.

there are spray-on, "Keep-Off," products, and you may like to try one. i did have to myself a few years ago, with another pet. they are citrus-oil based; i have a problem at my mailbox planting and use that occasionally.

oceanjasper
01-29-2006, 06:35 PM
My couches have microfibre cushions and arms with leather everywhere else and I am sad to say that the leather has suffered the cat wrath.

mbrogier
01-29-2006, 07:16 PM
My set is large with nailhead trim and is pretty weathered looking already. I use conditioner and neatsfoot oil on it 4 times a year and most of the scratches come out. Distressed looking leather does do better. All of my furnishings look nice but are meant to be lived on. I don't mind if someone puts their feet on my coffee table. (wish it were more comfortable to do so) I love my cat children and want to add a german shepherd son at some point and probably a few human children several years from now. My home is to be lived in, not looked at from afar. I have nice but sturdy things. I guess I should have issued this disclaimer sooner. :o ETA--I do trim my cats' nails every week. That might make the biggest difference.

I totally agree with you Suz! My cat has been walking around with a $12 tassel she pulled off a pillow. What we won't do for our babies. :p

Aubergine
01-29-2006, 07:31 PM
My set is large with nailhead trim and is pretty weathered looking already. I use conditioner and neatsfoot oil on it 4 times a year and most of the scratches come out. Distressed looking leather does do better. All of my furnishings look nice but are meant to be lived on. I don't mind if someone puts their feet on my coffee table. (wish it were more comfortable to do so) I love my cat children and want to add a german shepherd son at some point and probably a few human children several years from now. My home is to be lived in, not looked at from afar. I have nice but sturdy things. I guess I should have issued this disclaimer sooner. :o ETA--I do trim my cats' nails every week. That might make the biggest difference.

I totally agree with you Suz! My cat has been walking around with a $12 tassel she pulled off a pillow. What we won't do for our babies. :p

roflmao (are we still allowed to post that?). mine adopted a couple of costly xmas ornaments, before they ever made it to the tree!

you must tell me/us about the Neat's oil treatment for the leather..he only did that when he was very new here, and wanted to sit on SO's lap, but the ridges are still there.

in the end, i really don't care, not all that much. y'know, if you divide the joy your pet gives you by the cost of your (silly) piece of furntiure, over time.....

if the house were burning, what would you save? your sofa, or your fur baby? i think we all know the answer to that one.

suz

Peggy
01-29-2006, 08:49 PM
WOW - I guess I have just been very lucky! Three different cats, two different leather sofas, 20+ year time period - zero evidence of cats damaging my leather sofas. Extras treats for Precious this evening!! ;)

Peggy

Middydd
01-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks to everyone for their advice and sharing of cat stories.

To me, cats really are one of the greatest sources of joy in life.