PDA

View Full Version : When you were a newbie here...

parrotsparrotsp
01-31-2006, 07:54 AM
Did you go back and read through the archives? I've reached page 390 of 800 some pages (working backwards). I just go through a few pages a day, and have bookmarked a TON of recipes to try. There is such a wealth of knowledge on the boards, if you are new (or old) and haven't gone through the old messages, I highly suggest you do so :) It's a great time-killer too :D

Meganator
01-31-2006, 08:25 AM
No, I wasn't (and still am not) nearly that organized about it! It just occurred to me the other day to bookmark threads so I didn't lose them again, though.

wallycat
01-31-2006, 08:42 AM
yes :D :D :D :D :)

crackers
01-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Oh, absolutely! I've gone through all the archives and managed to amass a ream of recipes. (oooooh, how alliterative! :p ) I seldom post here, but I certainly do read and learn on a daily basis.

So let me just take the time now to say Thank You! to all past & present posters who have shared their knowledge, skills and recipes! I very much appreciate every delicious moment on this board!

dgeevanson
01-31-2006, 09:22 AM
I found the board last May and I have gone up through to #614 in the archives. I've spent more time than I'd like to admit adding recipes to my "To Try" file in MC from the archives. Some real great recipes. Darla

jilliniowa
01-31-2006, 10:05 AM
No, I wasn't (and still am not) nearly that organized about it! It just occurred to me the other day to bookmark threads so I didn't lose them again, though.
How do you do this? Forgive me, I am betraying Generation X with my pathetic computer skills :o

CompassRose
01-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Dear to goodness, no. :eek:

I search for my own purposes when I need to, and read whatever the search turns up instead, with MasterCook open for copy-pasting.

Tamarap
01-31-2006, 10:12 AM
I am new and yes, I do read the old threads every chance I get.

Meganator
01-31-2006, 10:19 AM
How do you do this? Forgive me, I am betraying Generation X with my pathetic computer skills :o

To bookmark an entire thread:

With the thread open, go up to the address line of your browser where it has the "http://community.....etc." address

Highlight the address and click on "Favorites" menu, then "Add to Favorites". At least that is how I do it in Internet Explorer; a different browser probably has different menus. You can create individual folders within your Favorites to organize.

At least that's the way I do it. It would be nice if there was a way to track bookmarked threads within the User page of the BB, but I didn't see a feature like that when I looked for it.

tyroleancutie
01-31-2006, 10:20 AM
i am kinda a newbie and i read a lot in the archives. I also use the Search Funktion first, before I start a new Thread :o

jilliniowa
01-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Thank you, Meganator. I never thought of using my Favorites menu--I am actually familiar with that one.

Chocolate Rose
01-31-2006, 12:02 PM
ABSOLUTELY!! I did that before I even started posting. :D
I started a "cookbook" in MasterCook specifically for recipes from this board. I copied and pasted anything and everything that I thought I might someday want to try. At this point I have 7 "to try" "cookbooks" in MC of over 1,000 recipes each just from this board. I am finding that I do now have some repeat recipes just because I've forgotten what's in the first cookbooks I did. These are the cookbooks I search first when wanting to make something new. This board has awesome cooks and is a great resource for anyone who loves to cook! It took me quite a while to go back through all the treads (this was before the board change) but it was totally worth it. I just bookmarked the spot where I last stopped and the next time I had some extra time, started at that spot.

laurenlou
01-31-2006, 12:11 PM
I haven't gone through the archives, but I search on a regular basis. When I find a recipe that looks good, I copy & paste it onto a sticky note on my computer desktop (mac). I have a sticky for every category/course full of "to try" recipes! Then I print a couple out every week when planning meals. :D

BakerJane
01-31-2006, 01:19 PM
I haven't gone through the archives but I do try to search for a recipe or answer before I post my question or recipe request (providing that the search function is working of course...).

livelychef
01-31-2006, 01:31 PM
It's a great time-killer too :D

I never thought of doing this and since you gave me the magic answer, I guess I know where my time will be going!

The recipes that I try from this board that get rave reviews always taste great! I am hoping this board will cure me of my cookbook purchasing addiction. I have a lot of cookbooks, yet rarely cook from them. Yet when I do pick out a recipe, it tastes so-so. :(

Thanks to the many people that do reviews and even post the recipes for others to try!

Meganator
01-31-2006, 02:05 PM
I am hoping this board will cure me of my cookbook purchasing addiction.

Don't count on it! :p

Gail
01-31-2006, 04:02 PM
When I was a newbie, there wasn't any archive. Yet. (...and then there were three of them for a while, which were condensed into the present one when we moved to a server with more space...)

I am SO glad you're reading the archives and spreading the word. Speaking as one who posted heavily way back then, I know there's tons of good stuff to be found...

Enjoy!

Wendy w
01-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Don't count on it! :p

What she said. As a matter of fact, it was like adding fuel to the fire.

I'm another old timer from the days when there were no archives. The board was much slower then.

DCook
01-31-2006, 04:37 PM
I've looked in the archive multiple times and I draw the same conclusion every time I'm there - how can a thread with 2 responses be in a popular threads archive?

I was expecting the archive to be a list of substantial, popular threads from the past. Honestly, if I just wandered in there, I doubt I would realize I wasn't in the "Great Food" forum!

lorilei
01-31-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm another old timer from the days when there were no archives. The board was much slower then.

Me too... it's hard to believe :eek:

Back then, I could actually keep up with what everyone was posting!!
(That said, I now find myself in your position on a daily basis... paging back 4-5 pages just to make an attempt to keep abreast.)

little_bopeep
01-31-2006, 04:42 PM
I did go through all the archives, and I amassed about 1200 recipes. And now I copy down all the interesting ones I come across (by this, I mean the ones that I have a snowball's chance of making), and now I have over 2000.

Beth
01-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Heavens, NO! LOL Also here before there was an archives, but I had a hard enough time keeping up with what was right in front of me. :p

Gail
01-31-2006, 07:42 PM
I've looked in the archive multiple times and I draw the same conclusion every time I'm there - how can a thread with 2 responses be in a popular threads archive?

I was expecting the archive to be a list of substantial, popular threads from the past. Honestly, if I just wandered in there, I doubt I would realize I wasn't in the "Great Food" forum!

I think I can answer that. Once upon a time, there were three archives (rather than bears.) There was the General Archive, the Popular Threads Archive (requirement was that threads be of 25 responses or more) and the Frequently Asked Questions (which had to do with more procedural questions.) The idea behind the archives was to speed up board performance as membership grew, the board became busier, and supplemental boards such as "Other Stuff," and Supper Clubs board came into being.

I'm a little foggy on this but I believe that somewhere along the line, there was a software change, which to Maelynn's horror, wasn't supported by the server (or was it the other way around? That they changed servers and the software wasn't supported? Have forgotten.) In any case, after all sorts of fun and games, we ended up on a different server with new software and found ourselves with a great deal more storage space, so it was decided to UN-archive many of the posts and return them to the active forums. At this point, the General Archives and Frequently Asked Questions archive were disposed of, thus leaving only the Popular Threads Archive-- which since then has assumed the function of the General Archive, only they never changed the name.

And we lived happily ever after.

Sorry you asked? :p :D

ErinM
01-31-2006, 07:51 PM
I tried...I amassed about 3,000 recipes and was only up to 2001. Then, my cookbook became corrupted and I lost them all.

Sometimes I think about starting again, but the combined archieve is so full of stuff I don't want to wade through...