PDA

View Full Version : Frozen vs. Canned Spinach??

fancyn
02-02-2006, 10:33 AM
For some hair-brained reason I bought 2 cans of spinach. I was thinking of subbing the canned for recipes that call for frozen, but now I'm second guessing this. I've never had the can before and am scared to try it. Besides the sodium content, what's the difference? Flavor? Does anyone have any suggestions/recipes that uses canned spinach?

funniegrrl
02-02-2006, 11:10 AM
I cannot abide canned vegetables of any kind, I can't imagine using it in anything. If I remember correctly canned spinach is rather grey and slimy compared to frozen. If you feel compelled to use it up, I'd find something where it will be heavily disguised, like a casserole.

donleyk
02-02-2006, 11:18 AM
I prefer the frozen mainly because of all the water in the canned. I'd just drain it really well and proceed with whatever recipe you have calling for frozen.

wallycat
02-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Canned corn actually has more antioxidants than frozen or fresh...but that aside, if texture of canned spinach bothers you, maybe a stew or soup would cover it up well.
You could also add it into lasagna..with that much tomato sauce and cheese, no one would look for darker spinach :)

NMG
02-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I personally think canned veggies are nasty..........I'd use the frozen spinach

hlao23
02-02-2006, 11:44 AM
IMO - canned spinach has a much stronger flavour...I don't care for it because I don't appreciate strong-tasting greens (Kale, mustard greens, etc). I'll second the suggestion of using it in lasagna...might not be so overpowering that way.

DH eats spinich right out of the can. :eek: :rolleyes:

blazedog
02-02-2006, 12:40 PM
FWIW, I have successfully returned canned goods to a supermarket -- they don't really probe -- sometimes I mumble that someone made a mistake. :)

Or there are food banks if tossing the cans is upsetting.

The cost of other ingredients and my time is worth more than the cost of 2 cans of spinach so I probably wouldn't use them.

Becky13347
02-02-2006, 12:46 PM
There is an Easy Manicotti recipe from CL October or November (???????) Using frozen but I am sure you could sub the canned for it. There is alot of cottage cheese and other stuff in the mix to hide/disguise your canned veggies. I have converted to fresh or frozen after being raised on canned. Can't take the sodium, my mom still swears by canned though; can't get her to see the light. Oh well.....Good luck to you with your spinach

Hammster
02-02-2006, 02:36 PM
FWIW, I have successfully returned canned goods to a supermarket -- they don't really probe -- sometimes I mumble that someone made a mistake. :)

I couldn't agree more with Blaze. :) Just return them. The store will happily issue a refund. Customer satisfaction is their number 1 priority. :D

gward
02-02-2006, 02:40 PM
My 2 cents:

Return it, so that you don't waste good money and good ingredients by adding this inferior product. No one needs that kind of sodium, anyway, these days.

GingerPow
02-02-2006, 02:44 PM
We all make supermarket boo-boos. I agree with Blazedog - return the spinach. Also agree with Wallycat - canned corn is the only canned vegetable I buy. The others taste terrible. Ever eat canned asparagus? :eek:

Hammster
02-02-2006, 02:51 PM
We all make supermarket boo-boos. I agree with Blazedog - return the spinach. Also agree with Wallycat - canned corn is the only canned vegetable I buy. The others taste terrible. Ever eat canned asparagus? :eek:

TJ's canned corn is better than frozen and nearly better than fresh!! IMO. :D

dlaboriel
02-02-2006, 06:18 PM
I only buy Mexi-corn in the can (occasionally). All others are nixed.