PDA

View Full Version : Help! Where do I find "mirin"?

MNGirlTX
02-13-2006, 12:55 PM
I want to make a CL recipe that calls for mirin (sweet rice wine). I looked at Central Market and Albertson's - in the condiment aisle where the "cooking" wine is, and no luck.

Is this something that I should be looking at "real" wine to find?

Thanks in advance!

Lori

Beth H
02-13-2006, 12:57 PM
I buy mirin (inexpensively) where they sell wine and beer - you usually can find it with saki, etc. I think a decent bottle costs $5 or $6.

mcgee
02-13-2006, 12:58 PM
I want to make a CL recipe that calls for mirin (sweet rice wine). I looked at Central Market and Albertson's - in the condiment aisle where the "cooking" wine is, and no luck.

Is this something that I should be looking at "real" wine to find?

Thanks in advance!

Lori

It's usually in the Asian section. It's in a small plastic bottle. Here's a link with a picture:

http://www.mingspantry.com/ajimirin10oz.html

Gumbeaux
02-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Being as you are in a major metropolitan area, there are several asian grocery stores or markets that you could go to that would have it.

Aubergine
02-13-2006, 01:04 PM
i get mine at the health food store. if i recall correctly, sake can be substituted in most cases.

Canice
02-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Holy cow! $6 sounds like a lot unless your idea of "decent" is several notches above mine.
I buy it at Asian grocery stores for maybe 2 bucks. You can find it in the Asian Foods aisle of any grocery store but it will cost more.

MNGirlTX
02-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks, everyone!! I'm going to check out Kroger's after work tonight...besides Albertson's didn't have frozen spinach, either.

Lori

Beth H
02-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Holy cow! $6 sounds like a lot unless your idea of "decent" is several notches above mine.

Hmm. . .I don't know now! I always buy the least expensive bottle there - maybe it isn't quite that much. It lasts a long time (I just keep it in the fridge).

aggie94
02-13-2006, 05:29 PM

In case you strike out at Kroger's, I'm nearly 100% certain that Central Market would have it with the Asian condiments and foods. I never met an "exotic" ingredient that I couldn't find at CM. Good luck!