PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in my Microwave

drewberry4
02-13-2006, 10:39 PM
This is obviously not a recipe for delicious food, but I figured you guys would have some good advice!!

Tonight we discovered a little community of disgusting, small, roachlike bugs living inside our microwave. Not in the food-preparation part, but in the actual mechanical area of the appliance. We've seen them run across the counters before, especially recently, but since we live in an urban apartment, I just figured it came with the territory. However! Tonight while microwaving popcorn, we noticed little shadows behind the LCD-display screen (where the numbers are), and then the little shadows were moving, and *surprise!* little friends appeared.

I am so grossed out and don't even know what to do! At the moment it appears that I'm going to have to throw out this microwave and buy a new one, because I can't imagine fumigating an appliance. And I don't know how well bug-motels would work to attract them out of their little home. We don't really have any money for this right now, but we are very reliant on the microwave. I'm mostly worried about what will happen when we get a new one. How will we prevent this from happening again?

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Or something similar? What did you do?

Dfen911
02-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Well I would have to think they didn't come with the device so is there an opening or loose wall outlet near the micro that they're coming in thru?

I don't really have any advice. While they may not be in the food prep area (where you heat the food) there are vents and their waste could get in and contaminate the food. They have the perfect home, it's warm, dark and has an unlimited food supply.

I know funds are tight, but we just got a new one for $50. It was on sale at Target. My advice, pitch it and be sure that everything near the micro area is sealed so it doesn't happen again. Check outlets, behind drawers where the micro sits on the counter, under cupboards etc. I would even recommend spraying liberally with a bug repellant before setting up the new micro.

Bugs are such a pain in the arse.

mommycook
02-14-2006, 12:53 AM
DH and I were just watching a TV show over the weekend....something like Gross Jobs (???) and the crew was following a group of exterminators.

They showed a house that had a huge, huge, huge cockroach problem. They explained that they were drawn to electrical appliances and hid inside them. Then they dumped out a cordless phone and found several (probably more like 50!!!!!) of the bugs inside it. :eek:

Could be that they are drawn to your microwave....

We have had good luck with the roach motel things. I replace them every 3 months and never see the buggers.

Gumbeaux
02-14-2006, 07:05 AM
If you choose to fumigate your microwave you can do this by putting the microwave in a large trash bag and spraying some fogger spray in the bag. Be sure to tie off the end of the trash bag tight and leave it overnight.

birdyone
02-14-2006, 07:30 AM
Just a thought as I am going through 'somewhat' a similar situation with flour moths - I could not find any around here so ordered from my bird supplier in the US - traps - I can't believe the amount in that tiny little box - just a thought as I said, but you could leave it in there during the or when you are not using - I was told, the 'male' needs to be trapped, hence no more 'getting-together' so-to-speak - they're not fruit flies by chance? Mine came in with bird food, but have heard they come in with cereal, etc.

If you are interested in the traps I will give you his email - they are not expensive - particuarly in the US.

Elaine

Good Luck - I know exactly how you feel - I cannot stand these little buggars but the crew is diminishing quickly.

Elaine

dorothyntototoo
02-14-2006, 09:36 AM
It's very possible that you have roaches in your microwave. In urban settings the little critters will go anywhere there is a food source. Before you throw it out the window, call a local exterminator & ask for advice. Bet they can tell you how to effectively eliminate them without ruining the appliance. Then a good scrubbing of the inside & you shouldn't have to worry about anything left behind. Good Luck!

blazedog
02-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Ah roaches -- yes they can make a nice home in appliances.

Tossing the microwave isn't going to do you any good because if they are in the microwave, they have nests all over your kitchen.

There are really effective ways to eliminate roaches now with stuff that is carried back to the nest and makes them sterile as well as just killing them. They are so effective that most urban areas don't have major roach problems anymore.

My advice is to contact your building owner -- most cities require that apartments be kept free of insects and rodents at the landlord's expense. If you live in a condo/coop, most have an exterminator on retainer so you can schedule an appointment.

It is well worth having a professional exterminator get rid of the problem -- it is NOT just in your microwave -- trust me. I live in a highrise in an urban area and haven't seen a roach in years -- used to see them periodically and yes, they would live in the microwave and even my coffee pot :eek:

It has nothing to do with your cleanliness, they migrate through the pipes and can even come home in a grocery bag if you live in a private house.

Lys
02-14-2006, 10:33 AM
I don't have any advice, just sympathy! I am so sorry, DH and I had a problem in our old apartment with mice every winter - they would get in to our drawer beneath the oven. I never actually saw one (if I had, I may have insisted to DH that we move immediately) but always found the droppings under the stove in the winter. DH bought a thingy at Home Depot that we plugged in and it emitted some sort of "rays" or something and we never had one after that. Good luck, I hope everything works out okay!!!!

drewberry4
02-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Gross, gross! I never considered that they'd be hiding in other appliances!! :eek:

I can try seeing my landlord will pay to fumigate my apartment, but our lease is up in a couple of months, so I don't know if they'd be willing to do that.

I will also pick up some roach motels and other forms of traps.

Thank you all for your advice! I really appreciate it!

I look forward to not living in the city anymore :D

One more quick question: When I move, how do I make sure these little friends don't accompany me, if there are any left when I'm done with them? :mad:

blazedog
02-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Roach motels won't do the trick. Check the city housing department as most landlords are required to provide extermination services. I use to avoid using the building exterminator because I had to get EVERYTHING out of the kitchen so he could do his thing properly.

As I posted originally, the new stuff is really wonderful and I haven't seen a roach in years -- even when my next door neighbor renovated which use to drive all the roaches to my kitchen as they sought peace and quiet. :D

You will probably bring the roaches with you when you move as their eggs tend to be everywhere -- if you see one roach, there are 1000 living in the walls unseen.

You can hire an exterminator at your new place if you see a roach. Once eliminated, your problem should be over unless you bring home a hitchhiker from the supermarket. :D

Sami
02-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Birdyone,

I would be interested in the source for the four moth traps. My exterminator said they came in with the flour. I buy 10 lbs of KA flour at BJs, and 5 lbs of KA bread flour at Safeway. BJ's goes through inventory very fast so I doubt that their flour laid around long. At Safeway, I bet most people buy Pillsbury and KA sits on the shelf. Now I am ordering flour directly from KA, and although it is more costly, I feel it is fresher.

I finally bought a food saver and have cleaned everything in the cabinet, but they are still there. At first I thought they were little flies that came in but I learned differently.

Sami

patissac
02-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Roach motels won't do the trick. Check the city housing department as most landlords are required to provide extermination services. I use to avoid using the building exterminator because I had to get EVERYTHING out of the kitchen so he could do his thing properly.

As I posted originally, the new stuff is really wonderful and I haven't seen a roach in years -- even when my next door neighbor renovated which use to drive all the roaches to my kitchen as they sought peace and quiet. :D

You will probably bring the roaches with you when you move as their eggs tend to be everywhere -- if you see one roach, there are 1000 living in the walls unseen.

You can hire an exterminator at your new place if you see a roach. Once eliminated, your problem should be over unless you bring home a hitchhiker from the supermarket. :D

Our fumigator says the same thing motels, sprays,etc do not work. When we moved into our house(no one lived in it for 2 years :eek: ) and it being florida, we had a huge roach problem. I got sick and tired of it and called this amazing fumigator and he would even unscrew all our outlets and spray inside our walls, he said that the roaches get through the house by all the cables and linings of your walls. Also when you do spray them they breathe through thier sides,almost like gills,and they automatically close those gills to block out the poision that kills them. I've never reached for a bottle of Raid after that. Also look into little cracks or openings as well and have them sealed or closed so they can't get in. Roach droppings look almost like poppy seeds and they use those to attract other roaches, so when you see anything like that vacumm it or clean it with bleach.

drewberry4
02-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Our fumigator says the same thing motels, sprays,etc do not work. When we moved into our house(no one lived in it for 2 years :eek: ) and it being florida, we had a huge roach problem. I got sick and tired of it and called this amazing fumigator and he would even unscrew all our outlets and spray inside our walls, he said that the roaches get through the house by all the cables and linings of your walls. Also when you do spray them they breathe through thier sides,almost like gills,and they automatically close those gills to block out the poision that kills them. I've never reached for a bottle of Raid after that. Also look into little cracks or openings as well and have them sealed or closed so they can't get in. Roach droppings look almost like poppy seeds and they use those to attract other roaches, so when you see anything like that vacumm it or clean it with bleach.

What causes roaches to be so prevalent in Florida?

I called my building's maintenance office about the buggies, and they're sending an exterminator out on Thursday morning to assess the situation. We spent all morning cleaning up every single possible crumb in our kitchen and appliances, mopping the floors, and making sure all packages of food are completely sealed. Hopefully this will fix things!

Hammster
02-14-2006, 04:59 PM
What causes roaches to be so prevalent in Florida?

I called my building's maintenance office about the buggies, and they're sending an exterminator out on Thursday morning to assess the situation. We spent all morning cleaning up every single possible crumb in our kitchen and appliances, mopping the floors, and making sure all packages of food are completely sealed. Hopefully this will fix things!

Unfortunately roaches eat the glue in cardboard boxes, the insulation on electrical wire, the oil/grease trapped in nooks and crannies of your appliances, the paper that lines the stucco under your house.... Are you getting the idea? It's not about the food, although that is a good start, it's about survival and roaches do it best.
A couple of things that I have found that work is boric acid and those sticky traps. They ingest the boric acid as they clean themselves and it kills them. Of course the boric acid is dangerous to humans and pets so keep it out of reach of both. The sticky traps, well that's obvious. They are just a bit disgusting to have to pick up once they have a few bugs stuck to them. :eek:

We also do those bug bombs once in a while, no more frequent than once a year, and they make a major dent.
I'm in San Diego and those bugs love it here too.
Good luck.

birdyone
02-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Hi Sami - sorry I just noticed your post. Here is the link, go to 'supplies' it's the middle row, 5th box down. I am amazed at how many of these little suckers I have caught - excuse me - THEY have caught. I think they last up to 6+ months. I don't think I have to tell anyone who has/had a problem with 'pests' how crazy it makes you - I was almost to the point of buying a butterfly net!

http://www.claviaryonline.com/

I deal with this man all the time and his service is excellent - even to Canada.
Good Luck!

Elaine

tidee
02-15-2006, 07:43 AM
unfortunately i had roaches really bad before at another location. this won't help, but here are a few facts.

they like warm places like in the lcd displays of microwaves and behind glad plugins. they get in there as little ones and grow up and can't get out.

they love starchy stuff. potato scraps, glue. layers of paper or cardboard.

they are very simple and intuitive. hide from light. they leave their spit -- looks like black flecks -- and return where ever they have been before, it must have been good there before.

heck they can even live with out there heads for two days.

they send out feelers or feeders to see if a new area or apartment has food, before their friends come. so if you see one or two. get on it quick! combat gel is good.

brownie12
02-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Living in Gulf coast Texas, I have a close, personal relationship with my exterminator. :rolleyes: I call him about everything.