PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Dinner Entree from Whole Foods.....?

baseballmom94
02-14-2006, 08:12 AM
:D What would you buy if you went to Whole Foods and wanted to buy ingredients for a dinner for company? DH wants to do this for his sister who is visiting this weekend. We are also going out for dinner the next night and I bet the Whole Foods trip will cost more than the dinner out!! Any thoughts on what is good yet won't cost an arm and a leg from Whole Foods? I would love to hear what your favorites are. I will try to talk him into buying the entree ingredients from Whole Foods and we can buy some great side dishes from good old Trader Joe's!

dorothyntototoo
02-14-2006, 08:17 AM
I'll tell you what NOT to buy. I bought one fresh salmon patty - had feta & basil - which looked beautiful & cost $4.50. Looks were deceiving. It was actually mostly bread & was not good at all.

baseballmom94
02-14-2006, 09:30 AM
No takers? Well, if you don't have a favorite entree idea from Whole Foods, what is your favorite entree idea from Trader Joe's or just your favorite entree for company? We are having my sister-in-law and my 16 year old niece visit. Our two kids are 8 and 11 so I'm trying to please some different palates but the kids can always have soup if our meal is too exotic!

blazedog
02-14-2006, 09:57 AM
Do you mean their take out items? I haven't had any that I am wild about and they are incredibly expensive.

As to ingredients, they do have wonderful fish and meats if you want to splurge. I just made a cioppino.

TJ has some nice appetizer type foods in its frozen section -- the little spinach pies are excellent and good to keep in the freezer.

colleency
02-14-2006, 12:51 PM
The papayas in their deli are tasty. And I like the chicken curry salad.

As for Trader Joe's, I like their bagged salads with stuff, if I'm too lazy to make my own. They have a frozen gnocchi that's good. It's got a white cheese sauce, and I cut the frozen chicken tenders into slices and cook them, then add the gnocchi to cook with some of the frozen broccoli.

IndyKF
02-14-2006, 01:26 PM
We don't have Whole Foods in Indianapolis yet (supposed to be getting one I think sometime this year). I've been looking forward to checking it out, but I'm a bit dismayed reading all the comments about how expensive it is.

I love Trader Joes, but don't buy much of their premade meals these days. They do have some good little appys in the frozen section though. And some of their frozen desserts look really wonderful too.

Chicken marsala is always easy and seems to "wow" guests.

ecgrimes
02-14-2006, 01:36 PM
I'd go for Whole Foods' pork products. They get Nyman Ranch pork, which is really great stuff. I'd cook that up in a CL recipe I can't seem to track down... pork roast with sauteed apples.

blazedog
02-14-2006, 01:42 PM
My friend will buy little salads from there when I go to her house for drinks and I just keep thinking about how much she paid for that TEENY amount and how much better the stuff I make is -- roasted veggies, tabbouleh, pasta salads etc.

TJ has some good dip type stuff in the refrigerated section -- guacamole, various hummous and red pepper dips -- very reasonable as well.

skupe123
02-14-2006, 03:25 PM
I love WF low-fat veggie lasagne. I make mine better but their's delicious in a pinch. I think they have great salads and veggie dishes for a quick pick-up.

Suz

Angelina
02-14-2006, 04:25 PM
I love their crab cakes...soo soo good!!

Angela

Lrimerman
02-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Do you mean from the prepared foods or just ingredients to buy and make. They have a nice meat department. Do you have a costco nearby? If you want to splurge, the Australian or New Zealand racks of lamb chops at Costco are premium and a good price, I have a great recipe if you'd like. They are my kid's favorite meal.

Otherwise, I would go with some type of meat from WF and cook it your favorite way. Maybe a whole Roaster chicken using Barefoot Contessa's roast Chicken recipe. If you cook the potatoes and carrots with it, is an instant side dish. Then you could splurge on a side from WF prepared foods. My kids like the garlic green beans, and they have lots of other good stuff. They will also let you taste stuff before you buy.

Lisa

luvItalian
02-14-2006, 04:52 PM
I just went to WF today. I do not usually buy the prepared to cook food, usually ingredients for cooking. I did today pick up 2 stuffed chicken breasts, one spinach and feta and the other is cornbread and pecan stuffing. We will be having tomorrow, I will let you know.

Tonight I picked up some of the Sirloin Tips to make Beef and Broccoli Lo Mein with. I found the quality a lot better then Stop & Shop. Many times the meat can be chewy and the kids push it off to the side. Not tonight, all the meat was gone.

My kids are off of school next week and we are hanging low. One request they have is "Can we go to Whole Foods and have lunch there". They love the hot Chinese Food.

If you are cooking a meal, pick up some of the Whole Foods Frozen Breads to serve with dinner. They come out of the oven crispy on the outside and soft on the inside....YUMMY.

JRM24
02-15-2006, 12:21 PM
I typically shop at WF when I am on business trips (like this month). It is easy to eat there when you are spending someone's else money. I love the sandwhiches and the salad bars. Currently, I am in Baton Rouge and they have a brand new WF - which is breathtaking for us foodies. They have gelato, a sushi bar in mid-store with seat, a pasta bar with seats, etc. Needless to say I love WF!

Lrimerman
02-15-2006, 03:09 PM
I typically shop at WF when I am on business trips (like this month). It is easy to eat there when you are spending someone's else money. I love the sandwhiches and the salad bars. Currently, I am in Baton Rouge and they have a brand new WF - which is breathtaking for us foodies. They have gelato, a sushi bar in mid-store with seat, a pasta bar with seats, etc. Needless to say I love WF!

So does DH, whenever there is a WF or other type store (Wild Oats, etc.) where he is traveling, he eats there. Much better quality than most other places he could eat.

Lisa

luvItalian
02-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Tonight we had the stuffed chicken breasts and the reviews went very well. My DH loved both the Feta & Spinach and the cornbread with pecan and cranberries. My kids liked it a lot. The 2 stuffed breasts were plenty for 4 people and my kids eat potions the same as I, even my 7 year old. There were even 2 slices left over. I served them with a salad and hot WF rolls. As I previously mentioned the WF frozen breads are wonderful. The breasts were about $10. a piece. I do not know if this is high or not as I mentioned I do not usually buy prepared foods. The chicken was suprisingly moist. Hope this helps.

memartha
02-16-2006, 11:46 AM
I LOVE their Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs, from the hot bar.

When my brother and family came to visit, one night I got all take-out from WF. It was GREAT to have a huge selection of things for everyone to choose from, and we had leftovers which they picked on the next day. (His family seems to eat non-stop!) What I did was get a selection of vegetarian things and just kind of have a buffet and everyone took what they wanted. I think I rounded it out with some bread, a salad and some fruit. (This kept the cost down, too. Sometimes their prepared meat/poultry/seafood looks a little dried out to me.)

I highly recommend this as a stress-free, healthy way to feed a small crowd. Why don't you go to WF and ask to taste a few of the things, then you can make your decision.