PDA

View Full Version : replacement for Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies ?

Claud26
02-17-2006, 07:53 AM
Hi, I hope someone can help me... I'm from Toronto/Canada and I can't find any Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies and would like to make Paula Deen's Not yo' mama' bananna pudding. What elese could I use??

thank you

blazedog
02-17-2006, 08:00 AM
These are a very firm textured shortbread cookie -- I don't know what Canadian brands would replace it -- much firmer than a Lorna Doone if you are familiar with that cookie.

deniseannsc
02-17-2006, 08:00 AM
I can find the cookies here in the states, but I think they are too expensive for the result. I just use vanilla wafers as I do when I make homemade banana pudding.

skupe123
02-17-2006, 08:16 AM
What about Walkers shortbread? They are so much better than any cookies Pepperidge Farm makes.

Suz

Claud26
02-17-2006, 08:17 AM
By wafers do you mean Nilla?

Claud26
02-17-2006, 08:28 AM
thanks I'll use that...
What if I used a Pepperidge Farm Chocolate chip cookie?!?!

thank you
Claud

skupe123
02-17-2006, 08:33 AM
They do mean Nilla Wafers when saying Vanilla Wafer.

Chocolate chip cookies as an addition for banana pudding doesn't sound great to me. I think the Walkers would work better.

Let us know how it turns out. Walkers are my DBF's favorite cookies.

Suz

annagins
02-17-2006, 09:17 AM
I love Walkers and agree that it would be more appropriate than chocolate chip, but to be honest, I'm afraid it might be overkill. Walkers are deliciously rich and buttery. Chessmen are delicious too, but they are a bit dryer and would work better in soaking up all the banana good. I'm thinking the Walkers might just disintegrate.

You can go with Walkers, but if you have access to Lorna Doone's, I think those would be a better choice. Or even a store brand butter cookie might work better than a Walkers.

But if you go with the Walkers, let us know. :).

skupe123
02-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Annagins, maybe you are right about the Walkers disintegrating. I thought since they were thicker they might work better. Now, I'm not sure.

What about Italian ladyfingers that you use to make tiramisu with? They may work really well. They are harder than American ladyfingers.

I guess you have to try the pudding with different things.

Suz

UnGourmetGal
02-17-2006, 10:26 AM
I used Lorna Doone when I made the pudding and it was fabulous. Pepperidge Farm cookies have never been something I have liked and the Lorna Doone cookies are so buttery and thick. I've never thought of Walker's, I love that you can actually taste the salt in them.

Hoodone
02-17-2006, 10:35 AM
I think you could find a "Dare"-brand cookie that would be similar. I'm afraid I don't buy too many packaged cookies so I don't have an immediate recommendation, but I know they make a shortbread cookie that would be similar.

annagins
02-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I use those hard ladyfingers all the time in tiramisu and they soften up very nicely. They'd probably work well, but the end result would be a little lighter than Paula Deen's version. But they wouldn't disintegrate or get mealy.

I'm still leaning toward Lorna Doones or Nilla Wafers.

madpots
02-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Banana pudding has been a family favorite for many years and we always used vanilla wafers or Nilla wafers.

aquinas_chris
02-18-2006, 08:06 AM
I would use walkers shortbread cookies or something similar. That is one of our favorite desserts to make... oh it's sooooo good!

annagins
02-18-2006, 08:14 AM
You could also make your own shortbread cookies. Girl Scout shortbread cookies have the same texture as Chessman. Maybe this recipe from Recipezaar would work? It looks pretty simple.

Girl Scout Shortbread Cookies Copy Cat

1/2 cup butter flavor shortening
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons beaten eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon baking powder

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening, sugar, vanilla, and salt with an electric mixer.

Add the egg and beat mixture until it's fluffy.

Add the baking soda and mix for about 20 seconds, then add the buttermilk and mix for an additional 30 seconds.

In another bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.

Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well with an electric mixer until flour is incorporated.

Roll the dough into a ball, cover it with plastic wrap and then chill it for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Roll dough out on a well floured surface to 1/8 inch thick and punch out cookies with a 1 1/2 to 2 inch cutter.

Arrange cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 12/15 minutes or until golden brown.

S(Internet Address):
"http://www.recipezaar.com/18489"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lys
02-18-2006, 08:30 AM
My father always made banana pudding for us as kids and he always used Nilla Wafers....

annagins
02-18-2006, 08:50 AM
My father always made banana pudding for us as kids and he always used Nilla Wafers....

Nilla Wafers are definitely the traditional ingredient. If someone were to ask my dad for banana pudding, he would expect it to be made with Nilla wafers. Paula Deen's recipe is just banana pudding with a twist. The shortbread cookies make it a little richer and different.

funnybone
02-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Claud26 - Does Peek Freans still made shortbread cookies? I think they called them Shortcakes. I used to love those cookies and would think they would work as well.

Jazzmatazz49
02-18-2006, 09:11 AM
I think the shortbread is the main thing that makes this recipe different. So I'd try any kind instead of vanilla wafers.

Clover
02-18-2006, 12:54 PM
I think the shortbread is the main thing that makes this recipe different. So I'd try any kind instead of vanilla wafers.
I agree. This is, after all, Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding, but if you use Nilla Wafers, it will be yo' mama's.

Robyncz
02-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Sooooo, did you make it? What did you use? And how did it come out? Inquiring minds. . .

Claud26
02-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Made it and LOVED it ... WOW ... it was the first thing to go, and everyone wanted the recipe.
I used LadyFingers, I would say not the best to use in this dessert. The Top Layer of ladyfingers did not get soft and made it hard to cut in. I think next time I will use maybe a shortcake cookie type or just the Nilla.

Thanks for all your help

Claud

Claud26
02-21-2006, 02:25 PM
I just saw your post ...I saw those Shortcake cookies but wasn't sure how they would do, I will try those next time.
Thanks

Claud