PDA

View Full Version : Onion and Bacon Tart question

NMG
02-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi all!! Had a question on the different cheeses you can use for this tart - what is Comet and Cantal cheese and do they taste similar to swiss????

ONION-AND-BACON TART

1 sheet frozen all-butter puff pastry
½ pound slab bacon (sliced into 3/8 inch thick pieces)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups sliced red onions
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
¼ teaspoons salt
½ cup leeks (white and pale-green parts only) Thinly sliced
1 extra large egg yolk
½ cup whole-milk ricotta, drained if wet, add pepper to taste
1/3 pound Gruyere, Comet, or Cantal cheese, grated (about 1 heaping cup)

Heat oven to 400 degrees
Thaw and unroll puff pastry onto cookie sheet, score pastry’s edges at ¼ inch intervals, return to freezer until you are ready to use.
Cut bacon slices into smaller rectangular pieces.
Heat a large sauté pan on high for 2 minutes, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, heat for 1 minute then add bacon. Lower heat to medium-high; sauté bacon until crisp around edges but still tender in the middle (about 4 minutes).
Reduce heat to low; add onions, thyme, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring until onions being to wilt; add leeks. Cook and stir for a minute more, then cool contents of pan on a platter.
Beat egg yolk and remaining oil into ricotta unit smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread ricotta mixture almost to edges of puff pastry. Scatter on grated cheese, then arrange bacon-onion mixture on top.
Bake until crust is golden brown and crisp (20 to 25 minutes).
Make sure the bottom is crisp too. Cut and serve.

Aubergine
02-17-2006, 10:59 AM
ooo, i was just looking at that recipe in today's 'LIFE' paper insert. Cantal is like Gruyere and Emmentaler. Comte (not comet:)) i recall as being smoother, but it's been a few years. if you make it please let us know how it turns out. you could sub Swiss, or Jarlsberg would work.

NMG
02-17-2006, 11:59 AM
heeheehee - comet :D I plan on making it either tomorrow night or Sun (depending on when I go grocery shopping) and will post it on Sun or Mon!! It sounds so good and I've never had anything with leeks in it, so I am excited to try it. I may sub swiss or the Jarlsberg if I can't find the other cheeses in my local grocery store.

dorothyntototoo
02-17-2006, 01:11 PM
I too copied this recipe from today's paper. I'm sure it will be good. How could it not be - puff pastry, leeks, onions, bacon & CHEESE!

honeygirl1971
02-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Gruyère is "nuttier" than regular swiss, so I think subbing Jarlsberg is a good idea. :)

NMG
02-20-2006, 06:31 AM
Ok - bought (or thought i did) everything to make this - well I forgot the most important part - the puff pastry!!! hahahah Anyways - I'm stopping after work today to grab some up and am making this tonight - BTW, I did buy the Jarlsberg cheese for this and just my luck it was on sale this week at Giant Eagle!