PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Files

tea4one
02-25-2006, 10:12 PM
I am sure this has been discussed in the past but the search function isn't working well for me lately. I need to get organized and I have a lot of magazines I want to keep and they are piling up. Does anyone know where I can buy some really good magazine files online that are not too expensive. I don't want cheap ones that will fall apart in a weeks time either. I have seen the ones in the office/computer stores but I don't really like the metal ones or the plastic ones I have seen and definitely don't want to pay that much for the wooden ones, although they are nice!
Any help would be appreciated.

Peweh
02-25-2006, 10:16 PM
I would check The Container Store, but they might be pretty expensive and you may be able to find something comparable but cheaper at Target. I'm interested to see what you find, I could use these too!

cangoss
02-27-2006, 08:58 AM
I bought a bunch from a library equipment catalog - Highsmith. They were reasonably priced (though not cheap) and very high quality. These are the ones I buy for my office (I'm a librarian) and I got for home use as well:

http://www.highsmith.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Production/Search.jsp?category=80096&A=17632&NeSave=222&NSave=790+1080&Au=CategoryId&catalogId=10001&NaoSave=30&An=790+1080&langId=-1&storeId=10001

Hammster
02-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Do you need to save the whole magazine? I generally remove the pages I want to save, hit them with the 3 hole punch and put them into a 3 ring binder. I have the binder divided up into various categories so I can be somewhat organized. (Note the somewhat) :D
Just a thought.

blazedog
02-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Do you need to save the whole magazine? I generally remove the pages I want to save, hit them with the 3 hole punch and put them into a 3 ring binder. I have the binder divided up into various categories so I can be somewhat organized. (Note the somewhat) :D
Just a thought.

Is there some reason you need to save magazines -- especially the whole magazine.

There is generally not information in magazines which is unobtainable elsewhere.

If I am interested in specific articles because I am planning something -- i.e. a kitchen renovation, then I remove those pictures and/or articles which are actually of interest and put them in a specific folder devoted to that subject.

I try to weed through magazines once a month -- if there is an article that I want to read but haven't gotten to, I will rip it out and put it in a plastic file envelope I keep in the car so that I will always have something to read when I am waiting without having to lug around heavy stuff.

Recipes are generally available on the internet and I use a digital organizer. Again, if the recipe is not available on the internet and it is truly something that is unique, I would rip it out and then type it into my recipe organizer -- that certainly cuts down on my desire to cut out clippings. :D

Admittedly, I am a reformed packrat, but generally magazines do not contain anything worth spending money (in the form of containers and your square feet of home space) or time (how do you propose to access information in all those magazines readily). I generally "bless" others with my magazines -- either friends, my hairdresser or a doctor/dentist.

SDMomChef
02-27-2006, 10:04 AM
I tend to save CL magazines because it is fun for me to go back and compare recipes in the same month from prior years. Admittedly, I have only been a subscriber for 3 years, so for now, it is manageable, but eventually I will have to weed through issues. What I do is make my own magazine files using cereal boxes (I do the same thing for the kids books so they can be organized by category). It may not be as heavy duty or pretty as store bought files, but it works!

tea4one
02-28-2006, 10:57 PM
They are not just for magazines and yes, the magazines I would like to keep becaue they are the ones from the holidays and supplementals from different magazines and I am not tearing them apart! I also have the Cuisine at home magazine annuals that will fit into a magazine file. I seen the ones at the container store and like some of those.

lonetree1353
02-28-2006, 11:16 PM
I use these for my CL magazines and special magazines like the Christmas ones. I bought them at staples and think they were around $3.

http://www.staples.com/sbd/img/cat/std/s0035519_std.jpg

oceanjasper
03-01-2006, 02:49 PM
I got mine at IKEA. They have ones in a variety of materials, from cardboard to metal, and colours. I think they are pretty reasonably priced.