PDA

View Full Version : gluten free

HEIDI KENNY
02-27-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm looking for some good gluten free recipes. My sister just found out she has Celiac disease and we're having the whole family over for dinner in a couple of weeks. I would like a recipe that she can eat and that will appeal to everyone. Any ideas?

greysangel
02-27-2006, 02:25 PM
I dont have any recipes but you should really check out www.glutenfreegirl.com

Curiosity Hears
02-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Sorry I don't have any ideas to help. Would like to extend my sincere sympothies for your sister. That is a tough diet to have to live by. She is lucky she has a sister like you for support. Best wishes.

Valerie226
02-27-2006, 02:59 PM
If you use "search" and look for gluten free or celiac you will find a bunch of threads that addressed this issue around the holidays. I have a family member with celiac disease. You need to become an avid label reader. you will be amazed at how many products contain wheat or its byproducts. www.bobsredmill.com is a great source for clearly labeled products, mail order or on many store shelves. the natural foods section often has crackers etc that are gluten free.
One dessert recipe I found (but did not make) was Orange Almond Polenta cake. My relative has made it & said it was good. Pavlova or schaum torte are dessert possibilities.

Kay Henderson
02-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Heidi --

For your first go-round, plain food such as a roast of some sort, vegies, and salad will work fine. You might consider fruit with whipped cream for dessert.

I have to say that gluten-free meals ARE a challenge, but the more you learn, the easier it gets.

Kay

skupe123
02-27-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm looking for some good gluten free recipes. My sister just found out she has Celiac disease and we're having the whole family over for dinner in a couple of weeks. I would like a recipe that she can eat and that will appeal to everyone. Any ideas?

Check the Whole Foods site and the store, too.

Suz

Vanessa
02-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Theres several posts on this topic. A great help is your local health store and always always read the labels.
The glutenfree pantry has recipes and products. Bette hagman has several books addressing living with Celiac disease (check out Borders B& Noble).
I would cook a simple meal & as you get more familiar with what she can and cannot eat you can expand your menus.
The dr or nutricionist can probably provide a list of products that are gluten free if not contact your celiac local chapter.
Good luck

PattiA
02-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Let's start with dessert. Are they chocolate lovers? I posted a flourless chocolate cake recipe recently. Search for "Flourless Chocolate Cakes Prevention" to find it. The recipe makes individual cakes in muffin tins, which are always fun.

Peanut butter? The Mom-Mom Fritch Peanut Butter Cookies are delicious. If you cannot find them here, search on Epicurious for the recipe.

Fruit? Strawberries Romanoff. I can post my recipe if that interests you. A meringue shell filled with fruit is nice.

Salad: if you skip the croutons and make your own dressing, it is easy to make a G-F salad. Two brands of dressings that have some G-F dressings are Annie's and Drew's. Annie's Cowgirl Ranch is G-F. They will say Gluten-Free on the labels. Stay away from blue cheese dressing. If others want croutons, pass them on the side for the others to add.

Starches: Rice Pilafs, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, quinoa. If you use broth in your recipe, make sure that it is G-F. Pacific and Imagine are G-F. If you want to serve cornbread, search the forums for Creamed Corn Bread. It is an Alton Brown recipe that is also posted on the food network site.

Main Course: What type of dish do you want to serve? Many recipes are naturally gluten-free. But there are many substitutions that can be made so that you can serve a favorite dish.

Label reading is very important. Shopping in the natural foods section of the store will help eliminate many of the additives that are added to foods.