PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Crockpot BBQ pork recipe

BarbaraL
03-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I'd gotten two recipes for crockpot BBQ pork from the BB, and now I can't find them!
One of the recipes was really simple, and included cola with a few other ingredients.
The other one was a little more involved; I think it was a CL recipe (have to go through my cooksbooks).
Anyone have a good recipe?
Thanks.

petitechef
03-03-2006, 12:49 PM
D.H. made an AMAZING pulled pork in the slow cooker on tuesday night...we are still eating, and very much enjoying, the leftovers.

However, I don't have the recipe...it's a home in one of my cookbooks.

I'm sure there got to be something here on Cooking Light...if not, try FoodNetwork.

BBQ pork with cola?
Never heard of that but the one we made was a 3lbs pork roast and it was slathered in a rub made of chili powder, cumin, chilies, and a few other things...into the crock and cooked for a few hours.

surfer376
03-03-2006, 02:12 PM
here's Jena's recipe:

Slow-cooked Pork Barbecue
1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup cola
8 to 10 sandwich rolls, split

Cut roast in half; place in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with seasoned salt and garlic powder. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove meat; skim fat from cooking juices. Shred meat with a fork and return to the slow cooker. Combine barbecue sauce and cola; pour over meat. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1-2 hours or until sauce is thickened. Serve on rolls. Yield: 8-10 servings (really I think it is more like double that at least!)
Is this it?

surfer376
03-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Carolina BBQ Pork

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Onions, quartered
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1 (4-6 lb.) Boneless Lean Roast with any visible fat trimmed
3/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
4 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon Dry Mustard Powder
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne
Lite Hamburger Buns (optional for additional points)
Coleslaw (optional for additional points)

Spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Place onions in crockpot.
Combine brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper; rub over roast. Place roast over onions. Combine vinegar, worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, Sugar, mustard, garlic powder and Cayenne; Sir to mix well. Drizzle about 1/3 vinegar mixture over roast; cover and refrigerate remaining vinegar mixture. Cover crockpot and cook on low 10 to 12 hours or high 4 to 6 hours. Drizzle about 1/3 reserved vinegar mixture over roast during last half hour of cooking. Remove meat and onions to a plate. Using 2 forks, shred the meat and onions. Place them back into crockpot and stir well to mix in any juice in the bottom of the crockpot. Serve meat and onions on buns or whatever you choose. If desired, top sandwiches with coleslaw for additional points. Pass remaining vinegar mixture to drizzle over sandwiches (optional).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~and
This one out of CL Superfast Suppers is really good.

BBQ Pork Sandwiches

1/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 Tablespoons Mexican Seasoning
3 Tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
3 Tablespoons Cider vinegar
3 Tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 can tomato paste
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (2-pound) boneless pork roast
8 whole wheat hamburger buns

Combine 3 tablespoons brown sugar, onion, and next 6 ingredients in a slow cooker. Stir well. Combine remaining brown sugar, pepper and salt; rub pork roast with sugar mixture. Cut pork roast into 4 large pieces; add to slow cooker, turning to coat with sauce. Cover with lid; cook on high-heat setting one hour. Reduce heat setting to low; cook 7 hours or until pork roast is tender. Remove pork from slow cooker, reserving sauce in cooker. Shred the pork with 2 forks. Return to slow cooker and stir well to coat with sauce. Serve on buns. Yields 8 servings.

My notes: for "mexican seasoning" I use Penzey's Adobo seasoning. I don't do the high heat/low heat thing. I just use low heat and it does not take 7 hours.
Posted by hoodone

BarbaraL
03-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I think Jena's recipe and the CL Superfast are the ones I meant. The new (to me) one looks good too. It's been cold and snowy, so I've been craving comfort food, but work's been crazy, so I've had little time to cook. At some point, I was running out of computer memory, so downloaded my "Food" file onto a disc. Now, I can't find the disc! I'm afraid it's mixed in with my husband's pile of discs, and since he can't be bothered labeling them, it may be years before I find it!

Thanks again!

surfer376
03-03-2006, 04:10 PM
You are so welcome, anytime!
Hope it turns out good!

Chari

SheRa
03-03-2006, 04:23 PM
i have a root beer pulled pork recipe from the BH&G new cook book at home if you're interested. i made it a few weeks ago and it was great!

jellyben
03-03-2006, 05:04 PM
i have a root beer pulled pork recipe from the BH&G new cook book at home if you're interested. i made it a few weeks ago and it was great!

I would love that recipe! I want to make pulled pork this weekend.

Thanks!!

Mary Ann
03-03-2006, 05:43 PM
You posted this same question in December on this thread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=83764)! Guess you still have a BBQ craving ;)

Jazzmatazz49
03-03-2006, 05:43 PM
If you have a favorite barbecue sauce, either bought or homemade, this is the easiest and leanest bbq pork recipe I've found. And everyone always loves it, so I just keep using it. The only ingredients are the meat and 2 bottles of sauce.

It's more of a process than a recipe:

Put a pork roast (I usually use a bone-in one) in the crockpot. Pour a bottle of any kind of bbq sauce (it's going down the disposal anyway, so I use whatever is cheapest at the grocery store) over the meat and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Pour off and discard all the liquid. This gets rid of all fat. Pull the pork into shreds. Put back in the crockpot with the "good" barbecue sauce and reheat. Then serve. It's easy, but really good. I always use a local barbecue sauce at the end because I like it better than any of my homemade.

BarbaraL
03-07-2006, 12:03 PM
You posted this same question in December on this thread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=83764)! Guess you still have a BBQ craving ;)

You got me! I'd posted, and then couldn't find the post, even though I did a search! It occurs to me that maybe I was in the Other stuff board instead of the Good Food board, so it didn't come up.

I was crazed in December (not that I'm ever completely sane), so I plead insanity! Thanks, everyone, for humoring me and posting these great recipes!

surfer376
03-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by SheRa

I would love that recipe! I want to make pulled pork this weekend.

Thanks!!

I am not SheRa
But I think this is the recipe-

Pulled Pork with Root Beer Sauce
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
http://www.bhg.com

Makes 8 to 10 sandwiches
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 8 to 10 hours

Ingredients
1 21/2- to 3-pound pork sirloin roast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon cooking oil
2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
1 cup root beer*
2 tablespoons minced garlic
3 cups root beer (two 12-ounce cans or bottles)*
1 cup bottled chili sauce
1/4 teaspoon root beer concentrate (optional)
Several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
8 to 10 hamburger buns, split (and toasted, if desired)
Lettuce leaves (optional)
Tomato slices (optional)

Directions
1. Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into a 31/2- to 5-quart crockery cooker. Sprinkle meat with the salt and pepper. In a large skillet brown meat on all sides in hot oil. Drain off fat. Transfer meat to cooker. Add onions, the 1 cup root beer, and garlic.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
3. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan combine the 2 cans or bottles of root beer and the chili sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 2 cups. Add root beer concentrate and bottled hot pepper sauce, if desired.
4. Transfer roast to a cutting board or serving platter. Using a slotted spoon, remove onions from cooking juices and place on serving platter. Discard juices. Using 2 forks, pull meat apart into shreds. To serve, line buns with lettuce leaves and tomato slices, if desired. Add meat and onions; spoon on sauce. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
*Note: Do not substitute with diet root beer.

Nutrition facts per serving:
calories: 356
total fat: 10g
saturated fat: 3g
cholesterol: 59mg
sodium: 786mg
carbohydrate: 44g
fiber: 1g
protein: 22g
vitamin A: 4%
vitamin C: 9%
calcium: 4%
iron: 13%

SheRa
03-07-2006, 01:04 PM
that's it! thanks - i don't have the recipe here at work (where i'm NOT sitting here reading the CLBB) :D

jellyben
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the Root Beer Pork recipe! I am going to give it a whirl-I have a thing for root beer in my food!

SheRa
03-07-2006, 02:32 PM
we didn't add tomatoes or lettuce, but i made cole slaw on the side, and DF piled it on top of the pork. the meat really fell apart too - great stuff!

Surfn' Mom
03-07-2006, 07:06 PM
This is a favorite in our house and has been served at many parties with very favorable reviews! I typed the recipe as I found it in Family Circle (many years ago!) and added my changes....

Carolina Pulled-Pork Sandwich

1/4 cup butter (I use about 1 Tbs)
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbs powdered mustard
1 Tbs paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cups apple cider vinegar (I use about 2 Tbs)
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vegetable oil
1 whole 5 lb boston pork butt

1. Melt butter in saucepan. Add onion and garlic' cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add mustard, paprika, cumin and cayenne
cook 1 minute. Add ketchup, sugar, vinegar and water; simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover; simmer 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper. (can be made 2 days ahead; refrigerate, covered. Before using summer 3 minutes)

2. Heat oven to 350 degrees.

3. Heat oil in large oven proof duchg oven; add pork; brown, 10 minutes.

4. Bake, uncovered in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Pour 1 cup of bbq sauce over pork. Cover pot. lower to 250 degrees. Bake 3 - 3 1/2 hours, bsting meat occasionally, until instant read thermometer inserted in middle of roast registers 170 - 180.

5. Let cool slightly. Trim off excess fat. Pull meat apart using 2 forks.

6. Mix pulled meat with the rest fo the bbq sauce in large bowl. Serve on buns.

My notes:
I just put the pork in my crock pot and simmer away until it is done! Sometimes I double the sauce recipe if I'm making a larger pork. My husband prefers it with LOTS of sauce.