PDA

View Full Version : ISO your best coconut cake

Lorena
03-07-2006, 05:25 AM
I have a dinner tomorrow and one of my friends has asked me to make a coconut cake (we had a chocolate cake last time). Any TnT recipes? Thanks so much in advance!

valchemist
03-07-2006, 06:03 AM
I haven't tested too many coconut cakes (only about 4 total), but this is the best I have tried...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Awesome Coconut Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Cake:
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter -- (2 sticks) room
temperature
1 cup canned sweetened cream of coconut (such as
Coco Lopez)*
4 large eggs -- separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 Pinch salt
4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
Cream Cheese Frosting:
16 ounce cream cheese -- room temperature
1/2 cup butter -- room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup canned sweetened cream of coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter and sweetened cream of coconut in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract. On low speed, beat in dry ingredients and then buttermilk, each just until blended.

Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites with pinch of salt in another large bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold beaten egg whites into batter.

Divide cake batter between prepared pans. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on rack 10 minutes. Run small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen cakes. Turn cakes out onto racks and cool completely.

Place 1 cake layer on cake plate. Spread 1 cup Cream Cheese Frosting over cake layer. Sprinkle 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut over. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle remaining coconut over cake, gently pressing into sides to adhere. (Coconut Layer Cake can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours before serving.)

For the frosting: beat cream cheese in medium bowl until fluffy. Add butter and beat to blend. Add sugar, sweetened cream of coconut and vanilla extract and beat until well blended. Makes 3 1/2 cups.

Source:
"Bon Appétit, December 1999"

NOTES : At Shubox Cafe, this dessert is known as Awesome Coconut Cake, aptly named by one of the cafe’s best customers. To make this recipe, you’ll need to buy one 15-ounce can of sweetened cream of coconut. Some of it is used in the cake; be sure to save the rest for the Cream Cheese Frosting. *Canned sweetened cream of coconut is available in the liquor section of most supermarkets nationwide. do NOT use coconut milk.

my notes: I think this would do well in 3 8-inch pans. the 9-inch layers are nice and thick (I used my all clad pans with parchment liners and it still wanted to stick. especially to the sides of the pan. so be careful greasing). there was PLENTY of frosting. the frosting was not too sweet and it wasn't runny as some epicurious reviewers stated. the cake was VERY moist with a fine-medium crumb. just a hint of a coconut taste in the cake and the frosting. it could be punched up with extract if you wanted. but the coconut on the outside of the cake makes it very coconutty. btw, a 10oz bag of coconut is plenty. for the frosting, be sure you cream the butter and cream cheese well before adding the cream of coconut because the lumps don't go away once it is added. this is what don said when I asked him about the cake.

ChocolatePam
03-07-2006, 06:10 AM
That recipe sounds amazing. I know what I'll be making my mom for mother's day (she loves coconut cake).

Lys
03-07-2006, 08:05 AM
I have made that coconut cake that Val posted and it is amazing. I always use the 1/3 less fat cream cheese and it still has a wonderful taste. It's an amazing recipe - real crowd pleaser!

jphilg
03-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Yup...Val's recipe is my go-to, too. Fantastic.

Funny story about that cake...two July 4ths ago, I brought it to a party. Another woman brought a BEAUTIFULLY decorated tiered cake, and mine had sort of a rustic look. Everyone wanted a slice of the gorgeous tiered cake, but inside it was dry cake, and the icing was all whipped shortening-y. A few people tried my cake, and then I started seeing people in conversations looking at my cake. It was like a secret...no one wanted to be seen taking a second peice of cake, but pretty quickly my coconut cake disappeared. At the end of the party there were all of these half-eaten slices of gorgeous cake, next to white smears and a few flakes of coconut.

It reaffirmed my battle cry that food has to taste good, no matter how good it looks!

This story is funnier in my head. I'm not telling it well. :p

Pony
03-07-2006, 09:04 AM
I've also made the one from BA that Val posted. It was wonderful!!!

Ms. Chevious
03-07-2006, 01:20 PM
The one from this thread is insane good:

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=53060

Elvis' Coconut Cake

Makes 8-12 servings

1 2/3 cups cake flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon shortening
1/3 cup, plus 1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup milk
3 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
3 cups grated coconut

To make cake, line the bottom of two 8-inch layer pans with waxed paper. Lightly grease the paper and sides of the pan with shortening. Cake ingredients should be at room temperature.

Sift cake flour into a bowl. Add sugar, salt and baking powder, and resift 3 times. Add shortening and 1/3 cup coconut milk, and beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl. Add milk, egg whites and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Beat 2 minutes more. Scrape sides of bowl frequently to keep batter smooth. Spoon into cake pans and smooth top with a spatula.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove cake from oven and let it stand for about 5 minutes. Remove it to a rack to cool thoroughly.

To make glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, butter, 1 teaspoon and 1/4 cup of coconut milk. Beat until smooth.

Place one cake layer on platter. Spread half of the glaze on cake. Sprinkle with 1 cup coconut. Place second layer on top. Spoon remaining glaze over second layer and let drizzle down the sides. Sprinkle remaining coconut on top of cake.

Gracie
03-07-2006, 01:56 PM
And if you're looking for light and still fabulous, try this one from Weight Watchers...

Coconut Cream Cake

WW Fast and Easy. This gets an 11!!! This was so awesome. Coconutty but light. I thought afterwards that the addition of pineapple would make this the perfect pina colada cake. Here's the recipe:

1 pkg white cake mix with pudding
3/4 flaked coconut, divided
1 14-oz can of FF sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. coconut extract
1 1/2 cups frozen FF whipped topping, thawed

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Prepare cake mix according to directions omitting oil, using just egg whites and adding 6 T of coconut. Bake in a 13 x 9 pan coated with cooking spray for 28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. My note - I used a bundt pan.
3. Punch holes in top of cake with a wooden pick. Combine condensed milk with coconut extract, stir well. Pour half of mixture over warm cake, spreading with spatula, gently working milk mixture into the holes. Let stand 2 - 3 minutes. Punch additional holes in top of cake, pour remaining milk mixture over cake, spreading with spatula. Let cake cool completely.
4. Spread whipped topping over cake, sprinkle with remaining 6 T of coconut. Cover and chill 4 hours.

Loren

KAnn
03-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Gracie, do you know the calories for the WW cake? It intrigues me as I LOVE coconut! The other looks fabulous, too!

PoppyJ
03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
I have made the one Gracie posted a couple of time and just love it. It is light and very tasty.

misskitty100
03-07-2006, 03:36 PM
The one VAl posted is truely AWESOME!!

Lorena
03-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks so much for the recipes and thoughts. I have all the ingredients to make it tomorrow. It´s great to have recipes different recipes, with coconut cream or just coconut. Thanks again.

Gracie
03-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Gracie, do you know the calories for the WW cake? It intrigues me as I LOVE coconut! The other looks fabulous, too!

I don't. Someone else asked me fairly recently when I posted it on another thread. WW Fast and Easy is one of those special WW cookbooks that look like a magazine. I have all of them, I'm just not sure where they are! :rolleyes:

Loren

heavy hedonist
03-08-2006, 08:23 AM
The one VAl posted is truely AWESOME!!
i have made this too-- and it is toooo good.