PDA

View Full Version : yeast question

tidee
03-13-2006, 01:26 PM
hi maybe the veteran bakers here can help me. in the 'grainery bread' recipe that is SO-OO good, it calls for 2 Tablespoons of active dry yeast. is that two envelopes? cause that's what i used.

secondly, i see the grocery store has ounce yeast cakes in the cooler case. is that stuff good? or makes no difference? or what is the equivelant to dry?

thanks!

Grace
03-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Don't know much about the yeast cakes, but a package of dry yeast contains 2-1/4 tsp. A tablespoon is 3 tsp. So 2 packages are a little short of 2 Tblsp., but that shouldn't matter too much. A little more or less won't make a big difference.

HealthyinMN
03-13-2006, 01:48 PM
secondly, i see the grocery store has ounce yeast cakes in the cooler case. is that stuff good? or makes no difference? or what is the equivelant to dry?

Fresh yeast works just as well, but does not store very long at all (compared to dry) in the refrigerator. One cake (should be about .6 of an ounce) can be used instead of 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry (or 1 package)

UnGourmetGal
03-13-2006, 01:59 PM
I remember Alton Brown saying using cake yeast is more trouble than what they are worth because active dry and instant yeast produce the same results. I love using instant because I really don't have to worry about killing it.