PDA

View Full Version : Where to find "quick cooking barley"

peachykeen
03-21-2006, 06:44 PM
I've been going through my CL magazines and a few of the recipes I tagged call for "quick cooking barley". Any ideas as to where I can find this item? I'm from the north of Boston, Mass. area. Thanks in advance...

krispy spo
03-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Where I grocery shop it is next to the bags of rice. I buy it in a small box (I think it's Quaker brand).

badunnin
03-21-2006, 06:57 PM
http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=85884&highlight=quick+cooking+barley

LonghornGal
03-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Soup aisle, top shelf, next to the dry soups.

memartha
03-22-2006, 05:18 AM
I was about to reply, "No where in the Boston area" and then I saw your location. Good luck. I've been looking for YEARS! I have resorted to precooking the regular old barley and using it in recipes that call for quick-cooking. :(

sooty
03-22-2006, 11:21 AM
I've been going through my CL magazines and a few of the recipes I tagged call for "quick cooking barley". Any ideas as to where I can find this item? I'm from the north of Boston, Mass. area. Thanks in advance...

It is in the rice aisle by me also. You can pm me your address if you like, I'll mail a couple boxes (from New York).

peachykeen
03-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the information - I'll look some more - I never would think to check the cereal aisle...

Sooty: Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind.

peachykeen
03-23-2006, 06:20 PM
I did a search on the internet for "quick cooking barley" and the Quaker name came up. Under their website, they list the product as "Mother's Quick Cooking Barley" - a hot cereal. It then gave the link to that company: wwwmothersnatural.com You can order directly from that company. I'll still search the supermarket, but at least I have a definite name brand to search for. Thanks again.

Aubergine
03-23-2006, 06:29 PM
i've been buying Mother's brand for years, and we're in the sticks. one supermarket chain (Shop Rite) carries it, but so does a local health food store. it's terrific stuff, altho' i'd never think of it as cereal. i love it because it's quicker than white rice, creamier, just as adaptable, and much more nutritious. ask your market to stock it; ours are very receptive to customer input.

hunh. didn't know Quaker owned Mother's; that's what your web results imply.

Irene3R
03-23-2006, 08:22 PM
The quick cooking barley in my supermarket is by the hot cereals. The hot grain cereals, bulgur, etc. are there. You have to look good because there is just one type that I see and it is easy to miss.

knunes
03-23-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm in Mass. too and just found the Mother's Brand at Stop and Shop last week in Franklin. I do believe it was in with the hot cereals, but I can't swear it wasn't with the rices. I hit both aisles that day, and for once, I wasn't "searching" for this ingredient, I just happened upon it and got shocked! Now to find the recipes that I had seen along the way.....