PDA

View Full Version : Why question of the week

JulieM
03-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Why are shrimp served with the tails intact rather than peeled?

I can understand when you're serving them as cocktail shrimp. The tail gives you something firm to hold onto and you can just pull the meat out of the tail. But when they're served in a hot bowl of pasta for example it doesn't make sense. I keep doing it because I think I'm supposed to because that's how restaurants do it and DH looks at me like I'm stupid and asks why.

Tag, you're it! Someone else can post the why question for next week. ;)

leightx
03-27-2006, 08:25 AM
I think it's because the tails tend to be overcooked and chewy / dry if you don't. Personally, that is less bothersome to me than pulling the tails off after the dish has been cooked, so I take 'em off!! Even better, I taught my 6 y.o. DD how to pull them off - we get the frozen shelled ones at Costco, I thaw in the sink, and she "de-tails". :D

DCook
03-27-2006, 08:32 AM
I think its partially for presentation. I'm a "function over form" girl myself, so I'm with you. Off with their tails!

Terrytx
03-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Some people (like my DH) eat the tail shells.

JulieM
03-27-2006, 08:53 AM
eeeeeewwwww!

Robyn1007
03-27-2006, 09:01 AM

That's one way to get some calcium in your diet....

I'm with everyone else though, it drives me nuts to deal with at a restuarant and because of it, I am careful not to order that kind of thing unless I'm with close friends. I wouldn't dare if I were on a date. :D

ADM
03-27-2006, 09:20 AM
My guess would be, "It's the custom."

There are a lot of ponderables in this world! For instance, why have peaches always been canned after being peeled, but apricots are canned - not peeled?

JulieM
03-27-2006, 09:27 AM
My guess would be, "It's the custom."

There are a lot of ponderables in this world! For instance, why have peaches always been canned after being peeled, but apricots are canned - not peeled?
Maybe with peaches it's less costly to peel them than clean off the peach fuzz? Another good why question.

tbb113
03-27-2006, 10:42 AM
But just as a man preoccupied with physical beauty will miss the essence of a woman, culinary aesthetics can clash with practical concerns. There are many examples. How many times have your shrimp been served with their tails and that last segment of shell attached? The tails are left on for appearance purposes and the final shell segment secures them during cooking. Looks pretty right? But now you have to peel that piece of shell off every one of your shrimp, instead of just digging in with unencumbered joy. And depending on the hoity-toityness of the establishment, you may have to forgo using your fingers and wrestle that tenacious piece of shell off with your knife and fork. OK, there are worse things in life. But itís still one more barrier between you and the food for the sake of looks. (from http://www.vinum.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=828, bolding done by me)

I have no clue on the peaches/apricots since I don't can fruit and try to eat fresh fruit instead. Maybe because apricots are usually whole and peaches are sliced?