PDA

View Full Version : Anyone eat rancid nuts by mistake?

TwinMom
03-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Okay - kind of embarrassed about this...but here goes...

I fed my family rancid pine nuts tonight. My kids and I are all sick and my DH is not. I made the Far East Pinenut Couscous to serve with pork tenderloin for dinner and we're eating it and DH takes a bite and says it tastes funny, which of course I couldn't tell because my taste buds are gone due to this virus. So now I'm worried about eating the rancid nuts...

Checked the net - everything I could find says do not eat rancid nuts, nothing about what to do if you did. I then called Poison Control and they had no information to give me other than the basic food poisoning speech of what to look for. Rancid nuts are not even in their system...

So any advice on what might happen, if anything...Things to be aware of and the like...

I wonder if this virus is making me paranoid, since it wasn't more than a few nuts in our systems!!! :)

Thanks!

fci5767
03-29-2006, 06:37 PM
I think you'll all be ok. I'm not sure but it doesn't sound like anyone ate too many.

I do have to say that I misread the title of your thread. I read it as " Anyone ate rancid NUNS by mistake?"

funnybone
03-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Rancid nuts are best avoided as they can cause problems such as irritation of the stomach and intestines.

I googled and got that from this page. Immodium or something similar is probably best to take once you start having intestinal problems.

http://www.naturalmedicine.co.za/sajnm_main/article.php?story=2005093013114657

TwinMom
03-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the help!

I figured we wouldn't get violently ill, but the thought of stomach/intestinal issues in addition to kids who already have ear infections, constant coughing, and runny sore noses is just a place I don't want to go!

So I'm hoping that those nuts pass on through without anything other than mild discomfort!

Thanks again! :)

LakeMartinGal
03-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Sorry for your worry and discomfort!

I must admit that the first thought I had was the old song, "Found a peanut!" Ok, I'm wierd! :p

wallycat
03-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Rancid food will rarely make you sick. The oils in the food have oxidized and when you eat them, they cause more free radicals. From a health stand point, you need not too many (and not too few) free radicals.

Many people who dine at fast food places (fries, nuggets, etc.) say they actually like that taste. To each his own.

dneilson
03-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Sure!! Hasn't everybody??? (eaten rancid nuts...or peanut butter even)

I store many kinds of nuts and since anything with oil goes rancid rather quickly (even flour...especially whole wheat ones since they have the oilier germ [which is the most nutritious part of the grain]), I place all in bags in the freezer. This way I never have to worry about it. Frozen nuts go in everything without having to thaw. I've had a can of Bazzini pistachio nuts for 5 years in the freezer!!

Sorry you and the children are ill. Hope you feel better soon. I wouldnt' worry about rancid oil too much unless you ingest HUGE amounts.

Dolores

mbrogier
03-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Sorry for your worry and discomfort!

I must admit that the first thought I had was the old song, "Found a peanut!" Ok, I'm wierd! :p

Me, too!

I haven't done this lately. I usually eat some of the nuts while I'm cooking. I love nuts.

honeygirl1971
03-30-2006, 04:49 AM
I have eaten one or two rancid ones to to test if they were rancid or not, but never a whole bunch. Nothing ever happened. I don't think you're at risk for anything major, so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the kids show signs of dehydration or something like that. Sorry you are sick, though!

LakeMartinGal
03-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Me, too!

I haven't done this lately. I usually eat some of the nuts while I'm cooking. I love nuts.

Thanks -- If I'm weird, at least I'm in good company ;)