PDA

View Full Version : leftover cream cheese in a tub

lex
03-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi All...

I have some cream cheese (spread) in a tub...plain. And was wondering if there were any recipes that used cream cheese in them. The trick is that I don't want a dessert...a main entree. I made a spaghettis the other day with cream cheese in the sauce and it was good....So any recipes or thoughts to share.

Also how long would you keep cream cheese opened in the fridge. The tub says best for 10 days once opened...

thanks

pattiarl
03-30-2006, 02:47 PM
I have the same problem but wouldn't mind some desserts..........

TIA

Patti O.

lrf965
03-30-2006, 02:59 PM
How about a bagel (toasted if you want), the cream cheese, some sliced olives or capers for savory or jam for sweet?

novice baker
03-30-2006, 03:09 PM
check out kraftfoods.com, I am sure they have plenty of ideas. how about making a dip? I normally keep mine until the expiring date, cos I can never finish one tub within 10 days...

dorothyntototoo
03-30-2006, 04:49 PM
A tub of cream cheese is good until it gets moldy - much longer than 10 days. I like it with chutney or fruit preserves stirred in & eaten on a bagel.

kathyann
03-30-2006, 08:07 PM
I love this recipe for creamed spinach, although often I will totally skip the part in the oven with the tomato and crumb topping. I think that just the spinach and the creamy sauce is delicious!!!

Creamed-Spinach Gratin
Placing the creamed spinach in a casserole and topping it with sliced tomatoes gives the dish a bright, festive touch of red and green.

1 (10-ounce) bag fresh spinach
Cooking spray
2/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup tub-style light cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) sliced tomato
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375°.
Remove large stems from spinach. Tear spinach into 1-inch pieces; place in a colander. Rinse spinach under cold water; drain. Set aside.
Place a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add spinach; cover and cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Add cream cheese, oregano, salt, and pepper. Uncover and cook an additional minute or until cream cheese melts. Spoon spinach mixture into a 1-quart gratin dish or shallow casserole coated with cooking spray. Arrange tomato slices in a single layer on top of spinach, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 72(35% from fat); FAT 2.8g (sat 1.4g,mono 0.3g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 4.2g; CHOLESTEROL 7mg; CALCIUM 105mg; SODIUM 265mg; FIBER 2.8g; IRON 1.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 8.5g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 1997

Goldie
03-30-2006, 08:38 PM
This is a yummy lighter lasagne using cream cheese that is also quick enough for a weeknight. I've made it a zillion times since DH likes it too.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Four-Cheese Spinach Lasagna - 8 pts

Recipe By : Weight Watchers Magazine, March/April 1997
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Favorites Pasta

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic -- [ I added ]
1/4 cup cream cheese -- softened
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach -- thawed, drained,
-- squeezed dry
1 cup cottage cheese, lowfat
1/2 cup Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute
1/2 teaspoon dried ltalian seasoning
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 dash ground nutmeg
2 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, tomato/basil -- Classico
8 lasagna noodles, oven-ready -- Ronzoni
1 cup shredded part-skim milk mozzarella cheese -- 113 grams
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

1. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat pan and add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Set aside. 2. Place cream cheese in a medium bowl; beat at high speed of a mixer until smooth. Stir in onion, spinach, and next 6 ingredients (spinach through nutmeg); set aside. 3. Preheat oven to 375 oF. 4. Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 2 noodles over marinara sauce; top with 2/3 cup spinach mixture and 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers three times, ending with 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese. Spread remaining 1/2 cup marinara sauce over lasagna, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. 5. Cover and bake at 375 oF for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake additional 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Yield: 4 servings. Points: 8 Per serving: CAL 411 (29% from fat); PRO 30 g; FAT 13.1 g (sat 5.4 g); CARB 43 g; FIB 5.3 g; CHOL 30 mg; IRON 5 mg; SOD 833 mg; CALC 404 mg.

NOTE: I added the garlic to the recipe. Also good to simmer sauce with a bit of extra basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Use a sprinkle of Parmesan between all the layers.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 222 Calories; 11g Fat (46.2% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 36mg Cholesterol; 630mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 444 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 921 0

Jody_W
03-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Another couple of good bagel ideas -- bagels w/cream cheese and sun-dried tomato spread, toasted under the broiler -- tastes like a mini pizza. Also, mix peanut butter & cream cheese (equal portions), sometimes mixing in a little cinnamon and/or honey, or a little Nutella (mmmm). Also can add a little milk or ff half&half to make it a lighter, fluffier texture. Is a great breakfast spread topped with banana slices, boosts protein w/o lots of fat/calories.

heavy hedonist
03-31-2006, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=dorothyntototoo]A tub of cream cheese is good until it gets moldy - much longer than 10 days.QUOTE]

ditto that-- I have had them keep for weeks, literally. I use it in sauteed mushrooms to make them creamy without cream, adding cumin and chipotle if I want to make a nice burrito filling. You can do the same thing with spinach-- and don't forget spinach-artichoke dips-- they usually use some cream cheese. I don't use a recipe for mine, so I can't give it to you, but there are plenty online.