PDA

View Full Version : Curry in Mexican food??

Angela
04-01-2006, 03:10 PM
My husband and I just order take out for a Mexican restaurant. I ordered the Chicken Fajita Burrito and when opened the packaging I noticed that the chicken was very yellow and stated to my husband that it looks like there is curry on the chicken, look how yellow it is. I took my first bite and it was curry!!

I'm not a fan of curry, but if I'm eating a meal where curry is expected I don't mind it, but when I'm anticipating a big ole Mexican burrito that is not when I'm expecting curry.

Has anyone encounted curry used as a spice in Mexican fare?
I'm shocked and disappointed....off to find something for dinner....

Linda in MO
04-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Has anyone encounted curry used as a spice in Mexican fare?
I'm shocked and disappointed....off to find something for dinner....
NO! And I'd be very bummed if I did find curry in my Mexican food! :eek:

luvtocook
04-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Could it possibly have been Cumin, and not Curry? Trust me, being from Texas, I've eaten more than my share of Mexican food, and have never once encountered Curry.

Linda

funniegrrl
04-01-2006, 05:53 PM
"Curry" is not a single seasoning but a blend, and there are many many many types of curry, and colors of curry. As mentioned, one of the primary components of many curries is cumin, and cumin is also a standard flavoring in Mexican food. Other culprits could be coriander, turmeric (which gives yellow curry it's very yellow color) or saffron, which is used widely in Spain and Latin America and is also very yellow.

So, no, I don't think your Mexican food was made with "curry" but it is possible it was made with spices common to both India and Latin America.

jasonhoggan
04-02-2006, 12:00 AM
I buy this salsa mix for fresh salsa from a guy that owns a Mexican restaurant and it has some curry in it. But other than that i haven't noticed it anywhere else in the Mexican restaurants that i go to.

patissac
04-02-2006, 05:52 AM
Could it possibly have been Cumin, and not Curry? Trust me, being from Texas, I've eaten more than my share of Mexican food, and have never once encountered Curry.

Linda

I'm from Texas also, and trust me I would be really upset if I found curry in my mexican food,considering the fact that I personally dislike curry to begin with. I'm also thinking that maybe it was cumin? Even then the type of cuisine I'm used to they don't ever use cumin.

Angela
04-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks everyone!
Hmm....no, definitely not cumin (at least not the major spice used). I love cumin and use it in a ton of dishes that I make.
It definitely had the distinct smell and flavor of a curry. I'm not as familiar with turmeric that funniegrrl mentioned....so that's a possiblity. I use corriander a lot also and know that taste. Obviously it could have been a blend of spices, but the strongest flavor and smell was that of curries I'm familiar with.
My mom told me to call the restaurant and ask what spices they use in that particular dish. I might have to do just that.

Haddsie
04-02-2006, 09:34 AM
My first thought was cumin too, but the yellow color and the "curry" like flavor that you described, just as funniegrrl mentioned, sounds like turmeric. However, to me turmeric has such a mild flavor I would be a little surprised if it made the flavor so distinctively different. Maybe the combination of turmeric, cumin, and chili (main spices used in curry powder) explains it. Mexican and Indian do use a lot of similar flavorings! I know that when I make Indian during a week, I usually plan to make a Mexican night too - that way I don't end up wasting half the bunch of cilantro that I've bought. :)

Heather

newtricks
04-02-2006, 11:42 AM
eewww. Talk about fusion cooking gone bad. I love Mexican and I love Indian but I wouldn't want a curry burrito if I wasn't expecting it.

luvtocook
04-03-2006, 06:02 AM
My mom told me to call the restaurant and ask what spices they use in that particular dish. I might have to do just that.

If you do contact the restaurant, please let us know what they say. I'm dying to know!

Thanks,

Linda