PDA

View Full Version : freezing polenta?

mmbedard
04-04-2006, 11:28 AM
has anyone successfully frozen polenta? how did you defrost/reheat?
TIA
Miche

clairea
04-04-2006, 11:42 AM
I have frozen polenta. I try to defrost it overnight in the fridge and then reheat in the microwave, but if I forget I will just defrost it on low power in the microwave, breaking it up and stirring every couple of minutes until it is heated through. It works quite well.

blazedog
04-04-2006, 11:46 AM
I freeze it all the time.

I generally wait for it to "set" and then cut into portions. I will then use the portions in the same way I would use any other rice/pasta with a sauce based entree -- i.e. I place the couscous under the food and reheat - often I freeze as part of an individual serving -- i.e. couscous and entree -- then nuked when I am ready to eat.

If I froze large quantities, I would probably use the thaw setting on my microwave coupled with 50% or so to reheat without burning or turning it strange.

mmbedard
04-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Clairea - it sounds like you are freezing and reheating soft polenta. Can you suggest a recipe or proportions of liquid/polenta?

Blazedog - when you freeze, do you freeze the sauce-based entree and the polenta together or separate and then reheat together?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

blazedog
04-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Clairea - it sounds like you are freezing and reheating soft polenta. Can you suggest a recipe or proportions of liquid/polenta?

Blazedog - when you freeze, do you freeze the sauce-based entree and the polenta together or separate and then reheat together?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I generally freeze them together as I use them for leftovers. I do it in the small Glad containers as I would when I use pasta, couscous or brown rice. Just make sure everything is cool when you pop into the freezer to minimize condensation.

It seems to work out pretty well as I try to use it with entrees that have lots of extra sauce so even though the polenta (or couscous etc) absorb liquid as it warms, it all seems to work out.

I don't have experience with freezing one big mass though as I freeze leftovers principally to have for lunch or emergency dinners instead of Lean Cuisines etc.

clairea
04-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Yes, it is soft polenta. I don't have a recipe, but it is probably about 2:1 water to cornmeal, plus a pinch of salt. I think it is best cooked very slowly over low heat or even in a double boiler, but for the sake of time and convenience I usually just cook it in the microwave (3-4 minutes at a time on high until it is done). Sorry I can't be more exact on proportions and directions, maybe someone else can chime in with an actual recipe. This will firm up nicely when chilled so you can slice it if you want, but I don't know how the slices would hold up when defrosted. No harm in trying it, though :)