PDA

View Full Version : Is Goat Cheese the same as Feta Cheese?

kentgirl
06-18-2001, 04:48 PM
If a recipe calls for goat cheese, can I use feta cheese? Is it the same thing, or should I be looking for "goat cheese"?

Thanks!

kwormann
06-18-2001, 05:06 PM
It depends on the recipe. I would think mostly the answer would be yes. Feta is made from goat cheese sometimes, but it is also made from sheeps or cows milk (sheep and goat are distinctivly different from cows milk!) Goat cheese is usually very dry and crumbly, but feta can be crumbled easily to use in a recipe. I guess I would usually say yes http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

mightyh
06-18-2001, 05:15 PM
I think they're two different flavors, but I can't explain them. However, if you really like feta, I find they substitute for each other very nicely as they are both a sharp distinct flavor with a crumbly texture.

ewatkins
06-18-2001, 05:24 PM
I think they are very different!! Feta is dry and crumbly but goat cheese is smooth and creamy and they do taste different. Goat cheese is also known as chevre, if that helps you find it.

[This message has been edited by ewatkins (edited 06-18-2001).]

emilycat
06-18-2001, 05:32 PM
kentgirl,
I had the same question a couple months ago, because there are so many different types of goat cheese. Kim nailed it -- feta is made with one of either goat, sheep, or cow's milk, but goat's feta isn't exactly the same thing as chevre or montrachet, which are what recipes are generally referring to when they call simply for "goat cheese." Feta is more pungent and sharp than the other two. I've substituted, though, on numerous occasions, and it's always worked really well. http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

JennieL
06-18-2001, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ewatkins:
[B]I think they are very different!! Feta is dry and crumbly but goat cheese is smooth and creamy and they do taste different. Goat cheese is also known as chevre, if that helps you find it.

I agree. The texture is very different. Goat cheese (chevre) is creamy and spreadable, the feta I buy is crumbly and wouldn't spread at all. I think that feta is much saltier thatn chevre too.

kentgirl
06-18-2001, 06:23 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the great answers. Sounds like feta and goat cheese are two different kinds of cheese. But I'm going to use feta cheese in this recipe as was suggested.

Thanks again!

Melina
06-18-2001, 06:23 PM
Kentgirl,
I agree with ewatkins and JennyL; the textures of Feta and goat cheese (chevre) are very different. As are the flavors.
That's not to say that in some recipes you can't use one for the other, you'll just get a different end result. And you have to remember to allow for the saltiness of the feta. I myself wouldn't use the feta where a recipe is supposed to end up smooth or creamy. It's too dry and too grainy for that. You're best bet is to follow the recipe.

OOPS! Looks like we both posted at the exact same time and now I sound like I'm preaching to the choir! Enjoy the cheeses, they are both very good.

[This message has been edited by Melina (edited 06-18-2001).]