PDA

View Full Version : Open can of biscuits. Suggestions?

Apricot
04-14-2006, 07:18 PM
My son wanted to make pizzas tonight when I had planned to just get delivery. Not having enough time to make dough from scratch, I opened a can of biscuits and let him roll and top that for a quickie 'homemade' pizza. Now I have the remainder of the can (Pilsbury Grands Buttermilk) open and no idea what to do with it. Any suggestions?

CindyWeightWatcher
04-14-2006, 07:29 PM
I would bake them and freeze them. How did your pizza come out?

Apricot
04-14-2006, 09:59 PM
My 4 y/o son loved them and that's all that mattered! Since my husband wasn't home, I ate leftovers after having a few bites of the pizza my son so proudly made. We've been doing Friday night, Pizza night for about 7 months now and while I'm getting burned out on pizza, my son cannot be convinced to change things up a little. He holds this tradition very dear to his heart since he gets to drink root beer (about the only time he gets soda) AND eat it 'picnic-style' on a blanket in the family room. He thinks it's very cool.

Thanks for the suggestion on freezing the biscuits. Unfortunately, my family wouldn't eat biscuits fresh from the oven, much less frozen and reheated. I'm thinking maybe I'll try to make some monkey bread with it.

lola777
04-14-2006, 10:34 PM
The Pillsbury site has several pages of recipes using Grands. Here's the URL & happy eating!

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/search/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=grands+biscuits

Julzer
04-15-2006, 01:53 PM
I have seen them used for quick chicken and dumplings. Just make the chicken and veggie filling (like a pot pie) and drop the biscuits on top and bake. You could also make breakfast sandwiches on them; sausage and egg, ham and egg, etc. :)

Apricot
04-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the link to Pillsbury's website-I never thought to go look there. I'll keep it for future reference. Thanks for the suggestion to use them as dumplings. I may try that if I end up with another open can of biscuits.

memartha
04-16-2006, 12:25 PM
When my kids were little, they liked making mini apple turnovers with biscuit dough. Peel and chop an apple, toss with cinnamon sugar. Flatten the biscuit dough, put the apple filling on half of the circle, fold the remainder over the apple filling, and press with a fork to seal. Poke a couple of holes in the top with the fork and bake.

Apricot
04-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Memartha-What a fabulous idea! I will definitely try that the very next time we have a can of biscuits around. In fact, I'm even tempted to go buy a small can just so we can make those cute sounding apple turnovers. I bet my son would love eating them-but I'm guessing he'll enjoy making them more (like his mama).

little_bopeep
04-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I like to make quick cinnamon rolls: Roll the dough in melted butter, then dredge them in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Bake as you would biscuits or prepare a round cake pan with pecans and brown sugar....bake....and then invert onto a plate. Quick and yummy!

spudugan
04-16-2006, 09:46 PM
They would be good on top of a Shephard's Pie---and you really can layer many different foods to come up with a Tasty pie. Leftover chicken or turkey, side dish of veggies, stuffing or potatoes or even rice. Each leftover dish layered in a pie dish and topped with the biscuits and heated in the oven.
Alot of great ideas were posted here---making me wish i had some biscuits or rolls in my frig to play with. Especially love the mini-tart idea...and not just for kids...they'd be great frozen for single servings of dessert ready whenever the craving strikes. :)

TerriAb
04-17-2006, 09:20 AM
When I was young, we'd make doughnut holes out of canned biscuits. Break the biscuits apart and roll in balls. Fry in hot oil and when they come out, roll in cinnamon sugar. Really bad for you, but so yummy!

SheRa
04-17-2006, 10:26 AM
rachel ray's "long live the chicken a la king" recipe is GREAT and it calls for biscuits. it's been a repeater in my house! if you're interested, i can post the recipe.