PDA

View Full Version : What kind of vegetables do you grill?

CindyWeightWatcher
04-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Grilling vegetables should be easy....but they fall through the cracks or burn iif cooked directly on the grill using medium heat. When I use a grill pan, it obviously helps but it takes up alot of room on the grill and is a pan to wash.
Are some vegetables easier to gril than others? Any favorite methods? Or do you just pop them on the grill? I *want* to go to grilling school.

wallycat
04-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Asparagus and zucchini come to mind for the grill.
But I've been known to broil or roast veggies that I"d considered doing on the grill but was afraid of sticking or falling through the cracks.

Sami
04-25-2006, 09:12 PM
I grill corn on the cob, leaving the husks on. I also grill broccoli and cauliflower If there isn't enough room for the grill pan, I leave the veggies big and place them on the grill.

Sami

Ralph
04-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Besides the aformentioned asparagus, zucchini, and corn, I've grilled onions, peppers, and carrots.

For smaller pieces, there are several "grilling grids" like this one (http://www.barbecue-store.com/spacesavergrillinggrid.htm) you can buy that you put on the grill grate. The heat and smoke come through the holes, but your food doesn't fall through! I've seen them at hardware stores, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Target, in addition to BBQ stores.

Terri_A
04-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Zucchini, eggplant, yellow squash, onions...all sliced on the diagonal so they don't fall through toss with some Olive Oil and Tony Chacheres seasoning. Sometimes I slice them smaller and put them in a grill basket. It's my FAVORITE way to cook (and eat) veggies!!!

drewberry4
04-25-2006, 10:01 PM
I LOVE to grill potatoes. I cut them into smaller pieces, toss with olive oil and herbs, and grill. I do use a grilling basket, though, so the pieces don't fall through. Those things are wondrous because you can cook the smaller vegetables without worrying about losing them.

Home Chef
04-26-2006, 06:55 AM
This past weekend I made the Grilled Artichokes from Giada's new family cookbook and they were wonderful. My husband even raved and this is the first time he ever considered trying them. We thought they were just too pretty to pass up at the farmer's market.
I made the balsamic marinated steaks from the same cookbook on the page facing the artichokes and they were also very good. Don't remember the exact name, it was a sandwich.

Chris415
04-26-2006, 07:39 AM
Ah, grilling veggies. One of the things I love most about summer! Can't wait for the weather to get warm here! :)

I've cooked all the aforementioned veggies. I especially like eggplant with a little drizzle of balsamic. One thing that could help you out is to put the veggie chunks on skewers. They take just a little bit of room on the grill and then you can cook your meat, etc.
Chris

bobmark226
04-26-2006, 07:43 AM
Aside from using one of the grids recommended here, I do what the Weber book recommends, doing the vegetables first, then letting them sit while you do the meats, which you want hot. Works fine for me!

Bob

Lauren
04-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Hi Cindy,

I find red peppers, zucchini, vidalia onions, eggplant and asparagus pretty easy. Just cut the veggies in big pieces and they won't fall in. I lay the asparagus cross way, so they don't roll in. I have a grillling basket but tend not to use it because I'm lazy. :)

krhm
04-26-2006, 08:05 AM
Ditto to all the veggies mentioned here, and the use of a grid or a wok. We have both; if we're doing veggies like zucchini or peppers that won't fall through, we use the grid, but most of the time we just cut up whatever we have and put it in the wok with some olive oil and sea salt. The wok we have is like the square one at http://www.barbecue-store.com/woks.htm.

You didn't ask about fruit, but since it's so awesome, I'm going to mention it anyway: grilled fresh pineapple! It is so good I usually have to make two because we fight over it otherwise.

CindyWeightWatcher
04-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all the tips. Big pieces of veggies, crosswise, grill baskets and preparation tips....I'm looking forward to it! I've looked at the website mentioned (barbecue-store.com) and appreciate the reference to space saving baskets. I'm trying to incorporate more veggies into the diet and your suggestions help!

McSix
04-26-2006, 09:30 PM
I want to add fresh green beans to the list. They're fantastic!

Leebot
04-26-2006, 11:22 PM
I also use skewers -- so easy, and visually appealing as well. Zucchini and other varieties of squash, red and yellow bell peppers, mushrooms, sweet onions (like Walla Walla).