PDA

View Full Version : Do you know these insurance companies?

Becky13347
05-18-2006, 07:35 PM
My DH has decided to be a contracting engineer. We are needing to buy our own insurance since he will not be working for a specific company full time. We are looking at three companies that we have no experience with. Do any of you know these companies? Do you have experiences or stories (good and bad) that you could share?

Celtic
Unicare
American Medical Security

Any in put would be appreciated,
Thanks!
Becky

Meganator
05-19-2006, 08:34 AM
This probably isn't all that helpful, but, as a small business we have had to shop our insurance around frequently. We have had both Unicare and AMS in the past, and I no problems came to my attention.

Becky13347
05-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks, Unicare has 2 PPO options that we are looking at and they're the ones I like the best. I am a little nervous about this decision mostly because I've never had a choice of companies before. We've always used whatever was offered at my DH's work.

LakeMartinGal
05-19-2006, 03:51 PM
We have a Unicare dental plan, but it is a fee-for-service plan, rather than insurance...

This is a tough thing, this small-group/individual insurance. Hopefully, you're young, with no pre-existing conditions, and the premiums will be small for you. Have you checked with your accountant to see if the business can buy it? We couldn't, but maybe they've changed the law.

Good luck! ;)

mbrogier
05-20-2006, 04:13 AM
We just renewed our Costco membership and went with the Executive membership ($100 a year instead of $45) because of all the extra benefits--like 2% cash back on all purchases. They even offer medical insurance. My dad had small group through Travelers because he was a Realtor. The rates were much cheaper because he went through a large group--the realtors association or something like that. I'd bet the rates would be more competitive through Costco.