PDA

View Full Version : Care to Share??? - Fashions from the 1980's

Peggy
05-18-2006, 09:43 PM
DD's high school is having a "1980's" theme dance this weekend. The students are being encouraged to dress like teenagers did in the 80's. She has asked me for ideas and I am drawing a blank... :confused: I pulled out my college yearbooks but most outfits in the pictures didn't stand out as that different (though the hair styles DEFINATELY did :D ).

So going into Friday... does anyone want to take a trip back in time and share some of their favorite 1980's fashion memories?

TIA!

Peggy

Canice
05-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Ewwww...what about acid-wash jeans? Oh, and peg-legged jeans. I had a LOT of those.
I was seriously into Esprit in the very early 80s.
...then New Wave. Think: Blondie, Parallel Lines and Nagel prints - Duran Duran. I would definitely dig out a book on 80s music - that was my "inspiration".

KimE
05-18-2006, 10:10 PM
To bad my DD's are not here they could give you a list, let's see..what I would say it Neon--it was big then also there were "hammer pants", hair scrinchies (sp?), shirts off one shoulder, stirup pants, short boots, glitter, this of Cheryl Lauper (?), also bad makeup...dark eyeliner and very colorful,
that is all I can really think of.
The youngest DD is due home in an hour or so and I will ask her, trust me she wore all the clothes..LOL

Kim

Middydd
05-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Coloured panty hose...lime green, hot pink, all the`colours legs just shouldn't be.

And elastic belts, also in bright colours, with big metal buckles.

Laura
05-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Definitely the flashdance cut sweatshirt. Peg leg jeans with high heeled pumps. :eek:

mbrogier
05-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Short jean mini skirts with humongous sweaters. Guys with spiked hair and "Bill Cosby" sweaters. Basically recreate the set of "Saved by the Bell".

I can't tell you how many girls I've seen with the dark calf/ankle length tights and micro jean skirt. The top is oversized but in no way covers the skirt or butt. :rolleyes: Ballet flats are the shoe of choice. (boy do I remember having Sam and Libby ballet flats in EVERY color.)

I.am.not.repeating.the.80s. :mad: Nope.I'm.on.a.boycott. :p

oceanjasper
05-19-2006, 01:02 AM
Here are some of the things I remember:

Neon anything, including shoelaces and hair ties
Super-tight acid wash jeans
Short boots with tassels (mine were white!)
Leggings (3/4 length)
Oversized button up shirts (collar up, of course!)
Polo shirts (collar up!)
Big sweaters
Parachute pants
Sweatshirts worn inside out
Jean jackets with tons of pins and buttons
Converse high-top shoes
Roach clips with feathers dangling from them
Banana clips
Scrunched down socks - sometimes two pairs (different colours)
Big colourful earings; long pearl necklaces
Shoulder pads
Bangles (bracelets) - lots of them

That was fun! I am sure I will think of more. :)

mbrogier
05-19-2006, 01:33 AM
Oh, I saw parachute pants the other day. I've also seen pearl necklaces everywhere. (good. I can wear mine again.)

615bride
05-19-2006, 04:24 AM
huge scrunch socks
pegged pants
banana hair clips
flashdance sweatshirts

GingerPow
05-19-2006, 04:32 AM
Blazer with significant shoulder pads, with sleeves pushed up.
Mall hair
Big scarf on head, off center
lace gloves with fingers cut off
leg warmers
(Think: Miami Vice, Golden Girls, Saved by the Bell, Cosby Show, Madonna's "Like A Virgin" video)
Should I admit this? I still love '80's music, still watch Cosby and occasionally Golden Girls - now my kids love 80's music - we were just listening to Devo the other day! :D
Here's a picture of DD from Halloween two years ago - we attempted an 80's costume:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/MurphChessLinus/80sgirl.gif

stefania4
05-19-2006, 05:15 AM
Bright blue eyeliner (AND mascara)
Big neon earrings
Sweatshirt hanging off one shoulder
Anything paint-splattered
White keds

gertdog
05-19-2006, 05:43 AM
She could go preppy or new wave and be perfectly 80s! It might be easier to pull together a preppy outfit.

Guess? Jeans with the zipper at the ankle
Banana clips (I was always sad because my hair was too thick for these :rolleyes: )
Two polo shirts layered together (pink and green for a preppy look!)- something like that would be easy to find as Old Navy has a huge array of polos out for summer)
Ditto for layering two colors of socks
Mother Karen pullovers (no idea if this is a brand name or just a style- I just remember having several)
K-Swiss tennis shoes, Vans, white keds, jelly shoes, birkenstocks, Sperry topsiders
Overalls with only one shoulder strap fastened
Shiny lip gloss (I loooved the flavored roll-on kind from Maybelline)
Love's Baby Soft perfume
Swatch watches (preferably wearing more than one at a time)
Vuarnet or Ray-Ban sunglasses

greysangel
05-19-2006, 06:19 AM
great lists...I would just add the rubber bracelets. You also had british pop/punk invasion so you could go the punk route too...Adam Ant...lots of make up, jeans with large cuffs along the bottom (or peg leg jeans) and doc martens, smiths or cure t shirts, suspenders worn off the shoulder, zipper pants and tops or custom made safety pin fashion :D

Prep was also pretty big in my small town...like facts of life or family ties....izod anything, those little handbags with the wooden handles with the changeable cloth exteriors, big hair, "boat"/deck shoes, the rainbow thin cloth belts, cashmere sweaters over collared polo shirts etc.

Becky13347
05-19-2006, 06:53 AM
Stirrup pants with 2 layers of sock over them; large ,oversize shirt/blouse with big belt around the waist. Lots of hairspray and big, big!! hair!

Becky13347
05-19-2006, 06:55 AM
GingerPow-my kids are addicted to the 80s as well. My 8 yo DD has taken my Best of the 80s CD and made it her own. Her favorite song? Centerfold. Ugh. Can't wait til she starts figuring out and thinks about the words!! :rolleyes:

Arete
05-19-2006, 08:02 AM
Amusing story that is vaguely related to 80's fashion...

A friend of mine turned 25 this weekend and had a party and the theme was "Prom Night". She actually rented out one of the smaller ballrooms at the local Hilton, had a DJ and a photographer. Well, I wasn't about to go buy an actual prom dress, so I rummaged through my closet and what did I find??? A dress from my freshman year of college in 1986!!!!! OK, so it wasn't an actual prom dress, but it was similar. I won the best dressed award for the evening with it!

And now, throwing all dignity (why does that look misspelled?) out the window... here is a pic of me in my 20 year old, very vintage 1986 dress... (I'm on the left)
http://www.polyscenic.com/prom/images/Prom032.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time nor talent to recreate some really good 80's hair for the event (and honestly, I was more of a surf-punk back then, so I didn't have typical 80's hair.) That is the birthday girl, Jenni, with me. She's just a doll! The first time I wore that dress, she was only 5 years old!!! UGH! I hate getting old!

Canice
05-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Here are some of the things I remember:

Neon anything, including shoelaces and hair ties
Super-tight acid wash jeans
Short boots with tassels (mine were white!)
Leggings (3/4 length)
Oversized button up shirts (collar up, of course!)
Polo shirts (collar up!)
Big sweaters
Parachute pants
Sweatshirts worn inside out
Jean jackets with tons of pins and buttons
Converse high-top shoes
Roach clips with feathers dangling from them
Banana clips
Scrunched down socks - sometimes two pairs (different colours)
Big colourful earings; long pearl necklaces
Shoulder pads
Bangles (bracelets) - lots of them

That was fun! I am sure I will think of more. :)

Terrifying!! Were you in my Western Civ class?? I had ALL of the above except the roach clip earrings...but my sister had them in the '70s. I loved my big blazers w/shoulder pads - a look that definitely should have been restricted to the ONLY person who could pull it off: David Byrne.

Gertdog, your comment about the Vuarnet or Ray-Ban sunglasses reminds that in my school which of the two you wore was a signifcant statement about you - was it the same everywhere?

I.am.not.repeating.the.80s. Nope.I'm.on.a.boycott.
Uhm, Micah...weren't you sporting onesies in the 1980s?? Or are you just saying that you wore yours off the shoulder, with leggings? ;)

I'm glad to learn that a "banana clip" is something you put in your hair; I SO didn't look forward to Googling that one! :p

BTW, anyone remember "Units" clothing?

Robyn1007
05-19-2006, 08:24 AM

Were those the ones where they had all the different colors and styles that mixed and matched? Kind of a knit thing? If so, yep! I was just thinking about those the other day, that is so weird!

Peggy
05-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks everyone for all the ideas!! :) It's all coming back to me now...

In the 80's, I was in college and then starting out in the corporate world so I wasn't really wearing the latest teenage fashion in that decade. I remember now that I sported the "preppie" look mostly - lots of Izod and I remember Jordache jeans with very straight legs.

Keep the memories coming! DD and her girlfriends are heading to the thrift stores after school today.

Peggy

acginkc
05-19-2006, 08:31 AM

I think I owned 1/2 of their line of clothing. The belt that doubled as a tube top, that doubled as a miniskirt, or could be scrunched aroung your neck and ane a turtle neck. As dated as it all was, it was so comfortable. Like wearing PJs all the time. I had all styles of pants, and all the differnt shirts. It was all about the mix and match. Pair them up with some white keds and I was stylin' and profilin'.

gertdog
05-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Gertdog, your comment about the Vuarnet or Ray-Ban sunglasses reminds that in my school which of the two you wore was a signifcant statement about you- was it the same everywhere?

Probably, although now I don't remember what that statement might have been! I vaguely recall that many of the Vuarnet-wearers were skiers... I had Ray-Ban Wayfarers, solely for the purpose of wearing them on top of my head and trying to look cool. :o What a waste of $$!

Arete that is quite the dress! :p (But you yourself look lovely.)

Peggy
05-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Arete - Great photograph! And pat yourself on the back - Not everyone can still fit into a dress that is 20 years old!! :) I know I couldn't get into the jeans I wore 20 years ago!

Peggy

Peggy
05-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Gingerpow - Your daughter looks really cute in her costume! :)

Peggy

SheRa
05-19-2006, 09:01 AM
i went to an 80's party a year or 2 ago, and i ripped up some jeans and wrote band names (80's hair metal mostly) all over them, had a scrunchee on my wrist, and an off-the-shoulder shirt and BAD sunglasses. my friend made a skirt out of a twister mat.

stirrup pants, leg warmers, 2 pairs of contrasting socks, tutus, jelly bracelets, and skirts with leggings under them come to mind also.

whatever she does, make sure aqua net is involved :D

Peggy
05-19-2006, 09:05 AM
whatever she does, make sure aqua net is involved :D

LOL! :D Yes, we will have to make sure she has some big, STIFF, hair! I love the Twister mat skirt idea. Very creative!

Peggy

Canice
05-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Arete - Great photograph! And pat yourself on the back - Not everyone can still fit into a dress that is 20 years old!! :) I know I couldn't get into the jeans I wore 20 years ago!

Peggy

No kidding! That was my first thought. ...My second thought was of the night Julie decided to slip into her prom dress and came to the boards to announce she was STUCK in it, lol!

Peggy
05-19-2006, 09:16 AM
No kidding! That was my first thought. ...My second thought was of the night Julie decided to slip into her prom dress and came to the boards to announce she was STUCK in it, lol!

I remember that night well! I believe the cause was a bit too much vino, no? ;)

Peggy

PurplePotato
05-19-2006, 09:21 AM
You've been given some great clothing ideas.

For hair and makeup - big, teased hair - remember the lion's mane look?

Make up - bright lipstick, lots of blush in a straight line and dark eye makeup that is angled so you get that cat's eye look.

If you still have a crimper somewhere they could also crimp their hair. Alas, I threw mine out about 10 years ago.

Arete
05-19-2006, 09:27 AM

Peggy
Thanks! I was pretty glad it still fit.

Interesting side note: as I posted in my thread about needing a dress for an upcoming wedding, I currently wear a 6 or an 8. But, as proof that sizes have definitely been "inflated" in the last 10 years or so, that dress in the picture is a size 11!!! I found that amazing.

Peggy
05-19-2006, 09:31 AM
The size 11 is probably a Junior size and the size 6-8 are Women's sizes. I believe the measurements are quite different. My DD wore like a size 9 in Juniors and then went into a Size 2 in Women's. Why can't women sizes be more universal, like men's???

Peggy

Arete
05-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Oh, that is a good point. I am seriously fashion impaired, so it didn't even occur to me that there would be a difference.

boisewinesnob
05-19-2006, 10:00 AM
I had Ray-Ban Wayfarers, solely for the purpose of wearing them on top of my head and trying to look cool. :o What a waste of $$!

OK, I have some of those sunglasses now and I still love therm and wear them all the time :o . Never up on top of my head, though.

Hmmmm. Maybe I should start a thread about 80s things that we admit to liking and secretly wishing would come back ;)

Meganator
05-19-2006, 10:11 AM
The size 11 is probably a Junior size and the size 6-8 are Women's sizes. I believe the measurements are quite different. My DD wore like a size 9 in Juniors and then went into a Size 2 in Women's. Why can't women sizes be more universal, like men's???

Peggy

Maybe, but the sizes ARE way different now than they used to be. I just put into the donation bag some jeans from the early 90's. I couldn't even get those zipped, even though I wear the "same" size now. Why am I taking up valuable space in my closet with 15 year old too small jeans? That's a whole 'nother thread.

I was never good enough with hair to have a true 80's look, but I am the prime age (graduated h.s. in 1982) to have had nearly all the clothes described above. And did anyone mention the Jessica McClintock dresses? And how about the big bows in the hair?

gertdog
05-19-2006, 10:17 AM
And did anyone mention the Jessica McClintock dresses? And how about the big bows in the hair?

Someday I will have to scan and post my formal and prom photos. Oh how I loved Jessica McClintock. I was totally swayed by all those ads in Seventeen magazine around prom time!

Suzy, I like Ray-Bans but never liked the way the looked on my face (hence the waste of money).

Canice
05-19-2006, 10:27 AM
I graduated from h.s. in 1982 as well...oh, I felt stylish in my Gunne Sax! I felt like a modern-day Laura Ingalls. I wore that one (long sleeves, high collar) with baggy high-heeled boots. Then I got a lace-up Gunne Sax sun dress, which I wore with sandals that everyone said looked like a Roman gladiator's. I hated that dress. Too bad I was never skilled enough to put my hair in a French braid, oh MY that was sophisticated-looking!

(I wore Jessica McClintock perfume until at least 1996 :o )

Wendy w
05-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Fun thread! Great pics!
I haven't thought about a lot of these things in ages and wore quite a few of the things mentioned :o . I remember having a bi-level haircut, permed within an inch of its life in the early '80's, then long, permed, "big hair" in the late '80's. I would go through a bottle of Sebastian's Spritz Forte every 6 weeks. :o My hairdresser and I had this conversation a few weeks ago, and I told her that I can't remember the last time I owned any hairspray. I know that its been 6 years without wearing pantyhose, but I can't remember the hairspray thing.

Peggy, it will be fun to find out what your DD and her friends come up with.

Laurielee
05-19-2006, 10:37 AM
how fun, big hair and dont forget those shoulder pads!

remeber Madonna, uggh
http://www.hilary.com/fashion/images/madonna.jpg

Flashdance inspired the sleeves-off-the-shoulder look

8. Shirts with t-shirt clips on the side
Oversized t-shirts were big. Clipping them up on one side with a chunky plastic clip (make it neon, even better)

KristaMB
05-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I graduated from h.s. in 1982 as well...oh, I felt stylish in my Gunne Sax! I felt like a modern-day Laura Ingalls. I wore that one (long sleeves, high collar) with baggy high-heeled boots. Then I got a lace-up Gunne Sax sun dress, which I wore with sandals that everyone said looked like a Roman gladiator's. I hated that dress. Too bad I was never skilled enough to put my hair in a French braid, oh MY that was sophisticated-looking!
Canice, Did you buy your Gunne Sax dresses at the outlet in The City? I bought a very frilly, pale pink number there in 6th grade and my 8th grade "prom" dress there, too. I loved that place back then.

Stephanie, old prom pictures is a great idea for a thread. I'll have to get mine scanned in one these days.

Canice
05-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Alas, I got mine at an Emporium in the 'burbs.
But a trip to the Esprit outlet...that was an adventure!

Laurielee
05-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Oh I remember going to the gunne sax outlet for my prom dress, that was so much fun

Peggy, did you see 13 going on 30, the young girls was totally dressed in the 80s outfit

Laurie

greysangel
05-19-2006, 12:33 PM
OK, I have some of those sunglasses now and I still love therm and wear them all the time :o . Never up on top of my head, though.

Hmmmm. Maybe I should start a thread about 80s things that we admit to liking and secretly wishing would come back ;)

actually it was just in people mag that the raybans are coming back this summer. :D

jtoepfert100
05-19-2006, 12:47 PM
actually it was just in people mag that the raybans are coming back this summer. :D

This is what I was thinking. Have y'all been shopping lately? Looks like most of the things described above are back in style, in a somewhat different form, but the 80's seem to be back in style nonetheless. :p

BucknellAlum
05-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Fun thread! Great pics!
I haven't thought about a lot of these things in ages and wore quite a few of the things mentioned :o . I remember having a bi-level haircut, permed within an inch of its life in the early '80's, then long, permed, "big hair" in the late '80's.

Oh, remember those bi-level haircuts? My friend had one side "feathered" all the way down, and the other side was cut off in a bob at her ear. What were we thinking????

I remember The Limited sold these Shaker knit deep V-neck sweaters, that we would wear backwards, with the V in the back, for some reason!

In HS ('82 grad) it was cool to wear a turtleneck with a polo shirt or button-down over, with a fair isle sweater over that! Quite the combo! Along with that preppy look were the bermuda bags, and anything pink and green. And Izod shirts. And remember Valley Girl-speak?

Later 80's to me were the Madonna years, with all the aforementioned fashions. I was in college, and my photo album is mostly us in sweats and college T shirts, or jeans and polo shirts. But the hair still ruled!

honeygirl1971
05-19-2006, 01:29 PM
OMG this thread is a blast from the past since I graduated high school in '89. I wore most of the things listed here either in junior high or high school! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The most common things have been mentioned already, but has anyone mentioned taspestry blazers or vests? And long flapper style necklaces (the "Pretty in Pink" look)

Or lace up boots--like boxing shoes

Printed jeans

Long, oversized blouses with either a string tie or a brooch at the neck, best worn with leggings or stirrup pants and flats

For hairstyles, there were spiral perms, asymmetrical haircuts, bobs, and don't forget spraying your bangs so they would stand straight up!!

jtoepfert--SO many of the 80s styles are back in style now, it is SCARY! :eek:

Canice, yes, the ESPRIT outlet was PARADISE ON EARTH! I remember my mom taking my sis and I and we thought we'd died and gone to heaven! :D

Peggy
05-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Oh I remember going to the gunne sax outlet for my prom dress, that was so much fun

Peggy, did you see 13 going on 30, the young girls was totally dressed in the 80s outfit

Laurie

I went to the Gunnie Sax outlet in SF for my Junior Prom dress! I actually still have the dress and offered it to DD but she just rolled her eyes and said "no thank you". :D Don't think it is COOL enough for her, but I sure thought it was at the time.

I haven't seen that movie. Maybe we should rent it for tonight to check out the styles. Thanks for the tip, Laurie.

Peggy

Meganator
05-19-2006, 02:27 PM
I haven't seen that movie. Maybe we should rent it for tonight to check out the styles. Thanks for the tip, Laurie.

Peggy

"Valley Girl" is a pretty good for showcasing the styles of the time, also!

Canice
05-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Printed jeans

Oh, oh! My "Forenza" floral-print jeans from The Limited! (Or I guess it was Express) Looooved those! Actually, anything from that store, but especially those jeans. Shortly after the floral jeans left the scene I got a gang of tapestry stuff.
(And I remember wearing Liz Claiborne nylons with her signature "triangle" logo all over them :rolleyes: )

gertdog
05-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Oh, oh! My "Forenza" floral-print jeans from The Limited! (Or I guess it was Express) Looooved those! Actually, anything from that store, but especially those jeans. Shortly after the floral jeans left the scene I got a gang of tapestry stuff.
(And I remember wearing Liz Claiborne nylons with her signature "triangle" logo all over them :rolleyes: )

Oh, this is just too funny. I had those print jeans too! They were white with a pink and green rose print. I wore them with an oversized pink sweatshirt. :o

And count me as another who got my dresses at the SF Gunne Sax outlet, and also lived for a trip to the Esprit outlet... sigh. The good old days. :D

Canice
05-19-2006, 05:23 PM
OK, my jeans were black with pink and yellow flowers...I wore an oversized YELLOW sweater with mine!
(DBF and I looked at a loft last year in what used to be the Esprit HQ. Small w/two tiny "bedrooms" -such as you have in a loft- for $950k plus $700/month condo fees :eek: Doug and Suzie should have skipped the clothing and focused on real estate.)

tyroleancutie
05-19-2006, 06:08 PM
That's me in the early 80's - I didn't care about fashion back then :cool: And yes, my table manners are a little bit better today :D

http://pics.livejournal.com/cookieschlampe/pic/0009x2af

oceanjasper
05-19-2006, 06:26 PM
I had ALL of the above except the roach clip earrings...but my sister had them in the '70s.

We used to wear them clipped onto our jean jackets or in our hair. :D Did your sister really wear them as earrings? Yikes - that must have hurt! I think I had some lovely peacock earrings back then...

GingerPow
05-19-2006, 06:30 PM
That's me in the early 80's - I didn't care about fashion back then :cool: And yes, my table manners are a little bit better today :D

http://pics.livejournal.com/cookieschlampe/pic/0009x2af
Dani! Aaaaawwww...

oceanjasper
05-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Oh, remember those bi-level haircuts? My friend had one side "feathered" all the way down, and the other side was cut off in a bob at her ear. What were we thinking????

I had one of those asymmetrical haircuts! Totally short on one side and longer on the other. You couldn't pay me to do that again!

GingerPow
05-19-2006, 06:35 PM

Printed jeans

Long, oversized blouses with either a string tie or a brooch at the neck, best worn with leggings or stirrup pants and flats
Check, check and triple check! Did it.

Should I admit this? I still have two pair of the lace up boots in my closet. Why do I think I'll have an occasion to wear them? One pair is brown, one pair is cream.

And I loved my rose design printed jeans. Wore them with a raspberry off-the-shoulder sweater.

oceanjasper
05-19-2006, 06:41 PM

Did you call them granny boots? I had a pair of lace up granny boots in the 80s. I had totally forgotten about them.

food girl
05-19-2006, 07:24 PM
I keep an outfit from every "era" of my life in the cedar chest for just the occasion when DD might need to dress up like a fool. I graduated hs in '86 and had the whole gunne sax look going on. I don't know how my giant hair, gold jewelry (add a bead necklace for sure) and ELECTRIC blue eyeliner fit into the Anne-of-green-gables look of those dresses. Anyho, the outfit I kept was a Laura Ashley dress and some white bucks and large, large, large white bow for the hair. I wore this outfit and felt cute?? I used to wear the giant bow and a giant gap sweater to bars and get picked up ... ewwwww.

Do you remember the layer of film that was on everything in your bathroom from the constant hairspraying?? Or when you would put a hair barrette in your mouth will pulling back your hair and you would get that icky hairspray taste in your mouth?

Ah, the good old days!

Lisa

Gumbeaux
05-19-2006, 07:39 PM
remeber Madonna, uggh
http://www.hilary.com/fashion/images/madonna.jpg

*cough* yep!

http://www.therandommuse.com/photos/uncategorized/maddy7.jpg

MaryH
05-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Probably, although now I don't remember what that statement might have been! I vaguely recall that many of the Vuarnet-wearers were skiers... I had Ray-Ban Wayfarers, solely for the purpose of wearing them on top of my head and trying to look cool. :o What a waste of $$!

Canice you have to remember she was in Fresno then. :D :) :p

Canice
05-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Woo-hoo! Gertdog and Canice RULE! Vuarnet-wearers DROOL!!

Must've been a universal, Mary, 'cuz that was the story at MY high school, too... the Tiburon/Belvedere kids wore Vuarnets and spent all the winter weekends skiing at Tahoe (and summers in Europe) while the "others" wore Ray-Bans and sneered dismissively -- oooooooh, edgy! :p

OceanJasper: Yah, my sister really wore the roach-clip earrings! I don't think they were so heavy, really. Though she DID wear big, feather earrings! I kinda' remember the peacock feathers, but also remember big, random PINK feathers (during her David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust days).
I seem to recall the roach-clip earrings giving way -- in the 1980s -- to the tiny "coke spoon" charm around the neck chain. Delightful. :rolleyes:

Now where the heck are Debie, Eva, Sandy, and RebeccaT?? We could use some more insight here! :p

mbrogier
05-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Gertdog, your comment about the Vuarnet or Ray-Ban sunglasses reminds that in my school which of the two you wore was a signifcant statement about you - was it the same everywhere?

Uhm, Micah...weren't you sporting onesies in the 1980s?? Or are you just saying that you wore yours off the shoulder, with leggings? ;)

I'm glad to learn that a "banana clip" is something you put in your hair; I SO didn't look forward to Googling that one! :p

Hey, I quit wearing a onesy in 1979, thank you very much. :D I do remember some of the 80s. I remember the polo shirts, short jean skirts, banana clips (I had tons). I was more Rayban (even though my mom was staunchly again any labels), but my cousin was Vuarnet--he even had the logo painted on his bedroom wall. (he was also ski patrol in Colorado later). I had permed hair and huge bangs. All my barettes were covered in Aquanet. I had legwarmers in second grade and thought I was styling. (they went so well with my acid washed Jordashe jean skirt and scrunchy ankle boots :rolleyes: :D ) When I was older, I loved Esprit and then GAP. When I went away to school in 1994, I shed all remnants of the 80s. (the perm and Gunnysack dresses) I still like Jessica McClintock. My senior prom dress was a Jessica McClintock dress, and I had to wear ballet flats because I had recently broken my foot.

Raybans are popular again. I think there was a Rayban campaign with the movie Men in Black. Rob's sunglasses are prescription Raybans--they look like Agent Smith's from The Matrix Trilogy. I know the Raybans you're talking about with the plastic frames--and the holder everyone wore around their neck. At the beach, Oakleys were pretty popular with the surf crowd.

honeygirl1971
05-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Did you call them granny boots? I had a pair of lace up granny boots in the 80s. I had totally forgotten about them.

I had granny boots too, but the boots I was talking about originally were flat--they really did look like boxing shoes.

I am loving everyone's descriptions of their outfits!! :D

One of my pairs of printed jeans was cream with pink flowers (to be worn with pink Shaker sweater), one was regular blue denim with white flowers (to be worn with white Shaker sweater), and the best one was red with black paisleys (to be worn with black Shaker sweater of course).

I remember saving up my money to buy my Wayfarers!! That style didn't even look good on my face, but of course at the time I did not care. My current Rx sunglasses are actually Ray-Bans too, and I totally LOLed in Lenscrafters when I noticed that. They are much more "Audrey Hepburn" than "Risky Business" though, thank goodness. ;)

In my freshman and sophomore years in HS I had an asymmetrical bob, then I grew it out and got a spiral perm! :eek: I recently watched Edward Scissorhands again with DH and all the asymmetrical haircuts Edward does on the neighborhood ladies totally made me laugh thinking of all those bad 80s styles!

Does anyone remember the store Units? I don't know if it was national or just SF Bay Area, but it was popular in the late 80s. It's not a major trend like the other stuff, but it was popular, and a few weeks ago I got a Bella Band (a belt thing you wear when you are pregnant to either make maternity clothes a bit smaller or regular clothes stretch a bit farther) and when I tried it on I said, "OMG! It's a UNIT!" :D

mbrogier
05-20-2006, 01:53 AM
I got an asymetrical bob once. I hated that. I got spiral perms, though. Hated those, too. My hair is really fine (and was really thick). It just didn't hold perm and looked frizzy. I looked better in a straight bob-- like in Drop Dead Fred... I also had a hair crimper. I just didn't like messy hair. My hair now is short and sleek.

I remember the granny boots, but I never had any. I lived in sperry topsiders, but I lived at the beach walking all over boats and airplanes. The bottoms of those shoes had great traction.

Peggy
05-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks for sharing your fashion memories from the 80's and making all of the excellent suggestions. DD went to the dance last night, appropriately attired, and had a blast. :) At the thrift store she found a short black mini shirt, ivory leggings, orange and black scrunch socks, a neon orange tank top, and a marvelous see-through ivory lace wide-necked short sleeved shirt that she wore off the shoulder and tied up on one side. She borrowed a pair of shoes from me and a long pearl necklace. Her hair was curled and "BIG" with losts of hair spray and she had bright blue eye shadow. She and her friends got together at one of their houses to get dressed and ready. I can't wait to see all of the pictures.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

Peggy

oceanjasper
05-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Her outfit sounds perfect! :D Would love to see the pictures!

Aubergine
05-21-2006, 01:19 PM
this thread has been so much fun to read! i was in my 30's in the 80's, so my thoughts were a bit different; shoulder pads (think Dynasty) and BIG hair, or preppy--more my style naturally anyway. also, those stupid "power suits" for women in business then, always drab and boring and including the little 'feminine" scarf bowties. :rolleyes: among my age group it was also the Hermes scarves, gold shrimp (or signet) pinkie rings and earrings, Douney & Bourke bags, Salvatore Ferragamo shoes...

i'd forgotten about a lot of what you younger folks were wearing back then until i read this, but it's certainly true that Madonna, Flashdance and Cyndi Lauper had huge fashion impact.

LOVE the photos!!!

btw, women's clothing sizes have been re-sized, industry-wide, in recent years. the size 8 of 20 years ago is much smaller than it is now; market research showed that many women judged themselves by their "sizes," (duh! they needed to research that?) so what was an 8 then is now a 6.

Canice
05-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Oh yes, Aubergine, the suit/biz outfit you describe was known around these parts as the "Di-Fi" look. When Dianne Feinstein was mayor she was dressed like that every single day, though I don't know about the shrimp ring (but my mom had one). I guess "serious" women with "serious" jobs had to do it to prove they were, well, serious. Weren't you on Madison Avenue at that time?

Yup, honeygirl, I mentioned Units waaay near the top of the thread. I don't recall the boutiques, but often admired the Units stuff at Macy's downtown. I lacked the physical coordination and creativity to put the stuff together, but I definitely thought it was Devo-cool!

BTW, did anyone wear Fiorucci "Safety Jeans" or other Fiorucci stuff? He must've been one of the earliest to exploit Botticelli's angels for commercial purposes. I had them on a t-shirt with a floating banner across it that read "i migliori" ("the best"). In 1981 I was a high school exchange student to the Netherlands and took the train across the country by myself to go to Amsterdam so I could see the Fiorucci boutique there. :rolleyes: (Heh, also had heart-shaped sun glasses. How very Lolita.)

honeygirl1971
05-22-2006, 01:49 AM
Yup, honeygirl, I mentioned Units waaay near the top of the thread. I don't recall the boutiques, but often admired the Units stuff at Macy's downtown. I lacked the physical coordination and creativity to put the stuff together, but I definitely thought it was Devo-cool!

Oops, sorry, I missed it! "Devo-cool"=LOL! :D