PDA

View Full Version : ISO a recipe from BHG 5/06

Laurielee
05-19-2006, 01:23 PM
can someone pleas help with a recipe from this issue.

its the Quinoa salad with roasted green chilis. I tore out the page with the ingredients not realizing the instructions were on the next page. So I need the instructions.

TIA

Laurie

LLR
05-19-2006, 02:11 PM
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Halve chile peppers lengthwise. Remove stems, seeds, and membranes. Place pepper halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until skins are blistered and dark. Carefully fold foil up and around pepper halves to enclose; let stand about 15 minutes. Use a sharp knife to loosen the edges of the skins; gently and slowly pull off the skin in strips. Cut peppers in bite-size strips. Set aside.

2. In a fine sieve thoroughly rinse the quinoa in cold water. In a medium saucepan combine quinoa and the 2 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Uncover, let stand about 30 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet cook green onions in the 2 tablespoons hot butter until tender. Remove from heat. Cool.

4. For vinaigrette, in a small screw-top jar combine olive oil, lime juice, garlic, sea salt, and black pepper. Cover; shake well to combine.

5. In a bowl toss cooked quinoa or couscous, roasted pepper strips, cooked green onions, vinaigrette, cilantro, and pine nuts. Stir until combined. Line a serving platter with lettuce. Top with salad and roasted pepper. Top with additional whole roasted peppers. Serve salad at room temperature. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

*Test kitchen tip: While roasting peppers, add additional whole small peppers to use as a garnish. Roast but do not peel the small peppers.

Each serving: 366 cal, 21 g fat (4 g sat. fat), 8 mg chol, 147 mg sodium, 39 g carbo, 4 g fiber, 11 g pro. Daily Values: 40% vit A, 230% vit C, 7% calcium, 36% iron.

Laurielee
05-19-2006, 02:36 PM
thank you so much! This si going to be my first experience cooking quinoa

Laurie

LLR
05-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Your welcome! Let us know how it turns out.

Another Laurie :D

lswilson
05-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Will you please post the ingredient list? I love quinoa and green chiles so this looks like something we would enjoy.

Thanks so much.

Laurielee
05-19-2006, 06:08 PM
sure, sure could have used theis recipe last summer when I had all chilis taking over my garden
Quinoa salad with roasted gree chilis

prep: 45 minutes roast: 20 minutes cook 25 minutes
stand 45 minutes

1 1/4 # fresh anaheim chilis, poblano chilis,banana chilis and/or red sweet peppers

2 cups water
1 Cup chopped green onion
2 TBSp butter
1/3 Cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 Cup lime juice
4 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 cups cilantro
2/3 cups pine nuts toasted
boston or bibb lettuce

funnybone
05-22-2006, 09:43 AM
For anyone interested, they have this recipe and other June recipes on their website in the slide show. The picture looks great too:

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/slideshow/slideShow.jhtml?slideid=/templatedata/bhg/slideshow/data/1146238636026.xml&page=4&catref=cat940013

http://images.meredith.com/bhg/images/recipe/ss_R086051.jpg