PDA

View Full Version : Asian Style Turkey Burgers

cookieee
05-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Oh!!! These were sooooo good. My DH made them for us tonight. Whatever you do, don't skip making the sauce. It is the best part.

ASIAN STYLE TURKEY BURGERS

1 1/1 lbs uncooked ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
3 TB chopped fresh cilantro
2 TB soy sauce
1 TB grated fresh ginger
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
Salt
Black pepper
1 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 TB fresh lemon juice
1 TB butter or soy margarine

In a bowl, combine ground turkey, scallions, bread crumbs, 2 TB of cilantro, 1 TB of the soy sauce, ginger, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well.

Divide turkey mixture into 8 equal portion (DH made 4) . Shape into patties.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 4 of the patties and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Turn patties over and cook another 8 minutes or until done (165 degrees F). Repeat with remaining 4 patties. Keep the first batch warm in a warm oven.

For the sauce, in a small saucepan combine orange juice, lemon juice, and the remaining 1 TB soy sauce. Let bubble until reduced by half. Whisk in the butter and the remaining 1 TB cilantro. Pour over burgers.

From: "The Tony Danza Show" Prepared on the show by Chef Bobo 10/12/04
From the book "Chef Bobo's Good Food Cookbook"

Newfy Mom
05-27-2006, 08:58 PM
These lood great. Thanks for posting.

Andrea_2
05-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Cookieee - What did you serve these with? I think I'm going to make them tonight, but can't decide what to have with them.

cookieee
05-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Cookieee - What did you serve these with? I think I'm going to make them tonight, but can't decide what to have with them.
Well, I hate to disappoint you, but DH had left over mac and cheese and I had boiled Yuca with butter, salt and pepper. I was just glad he cooked dinner, I wasn't going to push it. Know what I mean? LOL Please let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. DH thought I was having the BIG O (sorry if I offended anyone) I was enjoying them so much. LOL

Andrea_2
05-28-2006, 03:57 PM
How funny - my DH has been begging me to make yuca for the longest time! I wouldn't know where to begin with that, so I tell him to order it in restaurants! Maybe I'll make some oven fries for tonight. :)

cookieee
05-28-2006, 04:05 PM
I just treat them like potatoes, except they have a funny core to them which you can leave in or pull out after you cook them. This time it was leftover from Pollo Tropical the other night. Like I said, take it easy on the hubby. I didn't have to really because thank God he loves to cook but it was after 7 before he started dinner. We just got home from car shopping and he had the most strength left.

Andrea_2
05-28-2006, 07:21 PM
These burgers were very good! The flavor of the burgers alone was great, and the sauce made them even better. I ended up just making the Rosemary Potatoes from CL 2001. I think those potatoes are most repeated CL recipe. They are so good and take only 15 minutes to cook in the microwave. Maybe I'll try the yuca sometime. I don't know why I'm so intimidated by it!

cookieee
05-28-2006, 09:05 PM
I think what happened was YOU cooked dinner. I think not having to cook added to my enjoyment ;)

memartha
06-05-2006, 06:49 PM
I made these tonight and DH and I loved them. Except, of course, he slathered his with ketchup :mad: as I was saying "these are Asian turkey burgers, and here's the sauce...." Anyhow, MINE was awesome. He admitted that next time, he'll use the sauce and not the ketchup. I tossed my roll aside and just ate the burger; it was that good. For side dishes, I made sauteed broccoli rabe and also an Asian-type slaw with shredded veggies in a bag, which I tossed with a sweet oriental-type dressing and topped with sliced almonds.

golden1225
06-06-2006, 04:14 AM
We had these for supper last night and OMG are they good!! You can't omit the sauce; it truly is the crowning touch. I had to fuss a DH for putting his burgers on a bun and having the audacity to ask me if I wanted cheese on mine! Ugh! I served them on a bed of spinach chiffonade. :)
We will absolutely be making these again soon!!
:) :)

cookieee
06-06-2006, 07:44 AM
I am so glad everyone is enjoying these. It does make you feel good to share. DH didn't try to put ketchup on them the first time, but he did try to put cheese on them. :D I eat them with just the sauce on a toasted French Hamburger Bun made fresh daily at our local supermarket, Publix. They are so good that we never go without them. Do you think maybe that is why I can't loose weight? :rolleyes: Joan

Andrea_2
06-06-2006, 08:29 AM
My DH put cheese on his too! :D

Donna P
06-06-2006, 08:34 AM
The recipe states 1-1/1 #turkey -- should that be 1-1/2 pounds?
Thanks ....

cookieee
06-06-2006, 08:46 AM
The recipe states 1-1/1 #turkey -- should that be 1-1/2 pounds?
Thanks ....
That is so weird. I see lbs. What does everyone else see?

Andrea_2
06-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Joan - I think it was the 1 1/1 part that Donna was questioning and wondering if it was supposed to be 1 1/2. I used 1 1/2 pounds, and it turned out great.

cookieee
06-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Joan - I think it was the 1 1/1 part that Donna was questioning and wondering if it was supposed to be 1 1/2. I used 1 1/2 pounds, and it turned out great.

My gosh, I can't believe I didn't see that. Thanks Andrea

cher48603
06-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Cookieee,

Thanks so much for posting this recipe. We thought these had great flavor. I've eaten two, one with and one without the sauce. I liked them both ways.

I was on an Asian salad kick. I served the burgers with Barley, Asparagus & Mushroom Salad (EW), Asian Spinach Salad (BA) and Japanese-Style Cucumber and Radish Salad (CL). Great dinner. :D

Canice
06-08-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm really looking forward to trying this recipe and couldn't decide what to make as a side. I checked out Epicuriuos, Cher, and I'm assuming this is the recipe you made - definitely what I'll be making! Maybe that AND the CL salad. Can't wait to try them all!

ASIAN SPINACH SALAD

Look for rice vinegar in the Asian foods section of the supermarket.

8 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce

1 3-ounce package Asian noodle soup mix (such as Top Ramen), noodles coarsely broken
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 10-ounce bag ready-to-use spinach leaves
1 bunch green onions, chopped

Whisk 6 tablespoons oil, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce in small bowl to blend. Season dressing with salt and pepper.

Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add noodles from soup mix (reserve seasoning packet for another use), nuts and sesame seeds. Stir until noodles, nuts and seeds are toasted and golden, about 8 minutes. Pour contents of skillet into large bowl and cool 10 minutes. Add spinach and green onions to same bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Serve, passing remaining dressing separately.

Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appétit
Too Busy To Cook?
January 2001

Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.

cher48603
06-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Canice,

That is the Asian Spinach Salad recipe I used. We really enjoyed the combo of the sweet dressing with the crunchy topping. It reminded me of the Asian Cole Slaw that uses the crunchies. I added Mandarin oranges and used more nuts and seeds than called for.

One of the Epi reviewers said it gets soggy fast & I have to agree. Let us know if you make it.

Cheryl

Canice
06-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestion of adding Mandarin oranges - I'll definitely do that! I have a bit of a "soggy salad" paranoia, so I'll let DBF stand over my shoulder and drizzle the dressing on each forkful ;) :p .
Will report back in the next week or so. Thanks again!

IndyKF
07-25-2006, 09:28 AM
This recipe for turkey burgers has been in my to-try pile for a while. Made them last night and they were a big hit. The only modification I made, and it was only because I was just too lazy to make some fresh breadcrumbs :rolleyes: , I used a handful of panko and a couple splashes of light coconut milk (I had a can open because I made a peanut/noodle salad to go with the burgers).

Just curious - for those of you that made these, did you serve "burger style" on a bun? I didn't - just served them alongside the salad.

Thanks for posting the recipe Cookieee!

golden1225
07-25-2006, 09:33 AM
I made a chiffonade of fresh spinach; served my burger on it and it was scrumptious! DH had to put his on a bun; I caught him before he slathered it with cheese, mayo, mustard, etc.
These are fabulous!!!
:) :) :)

cookieee
07-25-2006, 02:29 PM
This recipe for turkey burgers has been in my to-try pile for a while. Made them last night and they were a big hit. The only modification I made, and it was only because I was just too lazy to make some fresh breadcrumbs :rolleyes: , I used a handful of panko and a couple splashes of light coconut milk (I had a can open because I made a peanut/noodle salad to go with the burgers).

Just curious - for those of you that made these, did you serve "burger style" on a bun? I didn't - just served them alongside the salad.

Thanks for posting the recipe Cookieee!

Your quite welcome. We had them on buns because like I said, we love the French Hamburger Buns so much that we like any excuse to eat them. Once or twice a month we have BLT's with the buns. SO VERY GOOD!

spudugan
09-12-2006, 09:56 PM
This had been sitting in my "to try" file. OH MY GOSH!!! Huge Hit!! Grilled them over high heat for approx 10-11minutes. Served on a lightly grilled ciabatta roll for DH simply with lettuce topped with burger and liberal amount of sauce ( i swear i could drink it like soup it's so good). Must use fresh cilantro and ginger...sort of brings the burgers alive along with the citrus-based sauce. Used panko crumbs for the bread crumbs. Served with side of spinach salad with onion, mandarin oranges, sugar snap peas in pods just snapped in half, pinch of bacon bits and Paul Newman Light Balsamic Vinagrette. I really like the departure from a traditional burger flavoring...so healthy too,,,will be making this again and again. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe with us.

cookieee
09-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Oh your quite welcome. Glad to see so many people are enjoying them like we do.

RebelsLGB
09-12-2006, 10:47 PM
these sound great! thanks for sharing :) ground turkey is on sale this week too..hmmmmmmmmmm might be making it!