PDA

View Full Version : What To Do With Rhubarb

rjbq
05-29-2006, 06:55 PM
When we moved into our current house, there was a large area for a vegetable garden. Along one side, for about 15 feet, was a row of beautiful rhubarb. The plants give stalks that are fat and bright red from top to bottom. But what does one do with that much rhubarb? The freezer will only accept so much and rhubarb sauce requires more sugar than we wish to consume.

We've done the rhubarb/strawberry combination and various rhubarb crisps. One recipe that we enjoy is the following one for muffins.

Rhubarb Muffins

1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups rhubarb, diced
1/2 cup walnuts
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, oil, egg, vanilla, and buttermilk. In another bowl, mix flour, baking sodas, baking powder, salt, and nuts. Mix dry ingredients with brown sugar mixture. Fold in rhubarb. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Makes about 14-15 muffins.

From Chris' Collection of Muffins -- compiled by Chris Christman, Kalispell MT

I made a batch of these on Sunday. I reduced the oil to 1/4 cup and added 1/2 cup applesauce. I also reduced the brown sugar to about 3/4 cup.

So...what do you do with your rhubarb?

Thanks,
Richard

Grace
05-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi Richard

I'm very envious of all your rhubarb! If you go up to the top and type rhubarb into the search box, you will get a list of Cooking Light recipes that use rhubarb. You might get some inspiration there to start you off. Others will chime in soon with more, I'm sure.

I wanted to add one of my all time favorite rhubarb recipes - Rhubarb Custard Bars. They are a CL recipe from a couple years ago, but are a HUGE hit every time I make them. Since these bars are better when made with frozen rhubarb, you can freeze lots of your crop and use it during the year for these bars. You can cut up the rhubarb first and freeze it in the chunks that are called for (first on a cookie sheet in a single layer until frozen, then pop into a ziptop plastic bag), then you just dump them from the bag into the recipe.

Rhubarb Custard Bars

Rhubarb, which looks like crimson celery, has a short season so stock up while you can. It freezes beautifully; just store the stalks in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag (my notes - I cut them up into the slices called for before freezing). You can use fresh or frozen rhubarb for this recipe. We actually preferred unthawed frozen rhubarb.

Crust:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
9 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
Cooking spray

Filling:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
3 large eggs
5 cups (1/2-inch) sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (unthawed)

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup (4 ounces) block-style fat-free cream cheese
1/2 cup (4 ounces) block-style 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
Mint sprigs (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.
To prepare crust, lightly spoon 1 1/2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

To prepare filling, lightly spoon 1/3 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 1/3 cup flour and 1 1/2 cups sugar in a large bowl; add milk and eggs, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Stir in rhubarb. Pour rhubarb mixture over crust. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until set. Cool to room temperature.

To prepare topping, place 1/2 cup sugar, cheeses, and vanilla in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gently fold in whipped topping; spread evenly over baked custard. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.

Yield: 36 servings (serving size: 1 bar)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 131(29% from fat); FAT 4.2g (sat 2.5g,mono 1.3g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 2.5g; CHOLESTEROL 29mg; CALCIUM 42mg; SODIUM 78mg; FIBER 0.5g; IRON 0.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 21g

Cooking Light, MAY 2002

littlelion1961
05-29-2006, 07:12 PM
I second everything Grace wrote; the bars are delicious and rhubarb is very easy to freeze. And if you have extra, your neighbors will love you for sharing.

~~Paula

skupe123
05-29-2006, 08:06 PM
We love it stewed with some sugar and a little tapioca to thicken it. Sometimes I add strawberries to the mix.It tastes just like the pie without the crust.

Suz

sdcook
05-29-2006, 09:30 PM
The rhubarb bars Grace mentioned are wonderful! I have a rhubarb cheesecake recipe I found last year. I'll have to go find it again.

ETA: here's the link to the cheesecake recipe: Rhubarb cheesecake (http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/RhbrbChsck.asp)

rjbq
05-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. The custard bars sound great and will be tried.

What about some rhubarb uses that are not dessert related? I found one for a rhubarb-cherry omelet but haven't been brave enough to try it.

Thanks again.

Grace
05-29-2006, 10:37 PM
These are from the CL recipe finder. Several are for chutneys or sauces, but I bet they'd be good on all kinds of meats, particularly pork tenderloin or maybe turkey breast slices. I don't really have any ideas for side dishes or breakfast dishes with rhubarb (those eggs sound strange, but who knows??!).

Grilled Pork Chops with Rhubarb Chutney

Rhubarb, Pear, and Apple Compote

Cider-Rhubarb Sauce

Blackberry-Rhubarb Chutney

Seared Duck Breast with Ginger-Rhubarb Sauce

Bawstinn
05-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Rhubarb, Pear, and Apple Compote

I have found this to be good on grilled pork tenderloin - or on top of vanilla ice cream! :D

Andrea_2
05-30-2006, 07:47 AM
The April/May issue of Taste of Home has a section on rhubarb with a bunch of recipes. If you are interested in any of these, just let me know and I'll type them up.

Rhubarb Swirl Cheesecake
Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
Cinnamon-Sugar Rhubarb Cake
Frosted Rhubarb Cookies
Orange-Rhubarb Breakfast Bread
Tangy Rhubarb Chutney
Rhubarb Cheesecake Smoothies
Spring Breeze Cheesecake Pie
Orange Rhubarb Spread
Rhubarb-Ribbon Brunch Cake
Peach Rhubarb Crisp
Rhubarb Meringue Pie

Haddsie
05-30-2006, 08:15 AM
My grandmother made and canned tons of rhubarb jam every year. I was never really a huge fan of rhubarb, but I loooove the jam. I'll have to find out if my mother has the recipe.

Heather

jimjimmerjim
05-30-2006, 09:33 AM
More than you ever wanted to know about rhubarb:

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

rjbq
05-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Well, jimjimmerjim, I guess http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/ pretty well answers my original question. I checked it out and there's not much else to say except Thanks.

Richard

Anne
05-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Grace mentioned a couple chutneys - I haven't used either of those recipies but rhubarb does make a great chutney. I usually cook up several quarts and jar them (like making jam) for Christmas presents. Rhubarb quick breads are great for breakfast and snacks. Rhubarb sauce is good on pancakes. If you have really large quantities and the inclination - rhubarb wine is awesome. I've also considered trying to make rhubarb cordial - a takeoff of the famous cranberry or blueberry recipies that have been floating around this board for ages.