PDA

View Full Version : Storing Wine

Chef Michele
05-29-2006, 07:02 PM
If I buy wine to use for cooking where do I store it and how long will it stay fresh?

funniegrrl
05-29-2006, 07:19 PM
What you want is a wine bottle stopper. Wine does not keep well once opened if you just put the cork / screw cap back on, exposure to air causes it to deteriorate fast. A stopper will create a vacuum that will minimize this deterioration and let you enjoy it several more days. There are many brands; here's one:

http://www.surlatable.com/common/products/product_details.cfm?dmode=browse&StartRow=1&CRPCGNBR=175&CGRFNBR=355&PRRFNBR=16546

I got mine at Bed, Bath, Beyond -- it's plastic and about 1/4 the price!

P.S. Stick the remainder of the bottle in the refrigerator, even if it is a wine you would not serve ice cold. Just allow it to return to room temp.

dae
05-29-2006, 07:49 PM
I certainly agree with the vacuum stopper and would add that you refrigerate it. If it's going to be saved for more than a couple of days and your purpose is to use it only for cooking I would freeze it in ice cube trays or small freezer containers. I've done this often and later used it in chili, stew, etc. -- but only rather dry red wines (merlot, cab). Sweet white ones (which we don't drink but sometimes arrive with a generous dinner guest) are used in baking. Experiment using them instead of other liquids in various recipes to find out what works best for you. You may just end up creating something absolutely fabulous!! Good luck and have fun! :)

Chef Michele
05-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks so much for the tips! :)