PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Satay Chicken Recipe

Laura B
07-07-2000, 11:00 AM
I'm back from Down Under!! I looked in on the board sometimes, but I have really missed spending as much time on it as I did before. Now I just have to work up to becoming a member and not just a junior member!

I had Satay Chicken for the first time ever last week at a Thai restaurant in Sydney and now I am dying to try to make it at home.
Does anyone have a great satay recipe? It doesn't necessarily have to be low fat (although that would be a bonus). I searched MasterCook and could not find a Cooking Light satay recipe. Help!

I have been very hesitant to try the Peanutty Noodles because I didn't think I would like peanut sauce. I think now I will have to try it! How close is that recipe to a satay recipe?

lorilei
07-07-2000, 11:09 AM
Hi, Laura -- here's a lowfat version I found some time ago. Haven't had time to try it, but it sounds GOOD http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

7 chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2" strips
1/4 cup pineapple juice, unsweetened
1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium
2 Tbl brown sugar, packed
1/4 tsp ground red pepper

2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbl soy sauce-low sodium
3 Tbl creamy peanut butter
2 Tbl rice wine vinegar
1 Tbl water
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1 large red bell pepper, seeded
vegetable cooking spray

Place chicken in a heavy-duty zip top plastic bag. Combine pineapple juice and next four ingredients; pour over chicken. Seal bag and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour, turning occasionally. Soak 24 bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes and set aside.

Combine soy sauce, peanut butter, vinegar, water and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper in container of blender; cover and process until smooth; set aside.

Drain chicken and discard marinade. Thread chicken onto skewers. Cut red bell pepper into 12 squares. (1 1/2 inch squares) Cut each square diagonally in half, forming 24 triangles. Place one triangle on the end of each skewer. Place half of skewers on rack of broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat (with electric oven door open slightly) 4 minutes on each side or until chicken is done.

Transfer to serving platter. Repeat procedure with remaining skewers.

Serve warm with peanut sauce.

Serves 24 as appetizer
Per serving: 62 calories.

Nanci
07-07-2000, 11:27 AM
Here is my recipe -- I use a store bought peanut sauce.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Thai Satay

Recipe By :Practical Thai Cooking
Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : Ethnic

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds boned and skinned chicken breasts
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/2 cup coconut milk

Rinse and pat chicken dry. Cut into 1/8 x 2 x 4" pieces. Mix the curry powder, salt, and sugar. Add this to the chicken strips and marinate at least 5 minutes. Add the first 1/2 cup of coconut milk and mix thoroughly. Add the vinegar and marinate the chicken for at least 1 hour at room temperature.

Thread the skewers with chicken. Broil over a hot charcoal fire until cooked through - turning only once. After turning, sprinkle some of the second 1/2 cup of coconut milk on the meat.

Serve at one with Cucumber Pickle.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 82 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (38% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 26mg Cholesterol; 85mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : any mild vinegar may be substituted for rice vinegar
use 20 skewers
Thinly sliced beef or pork can replace the chicken.
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

BethR
07-07-2000, 01:32 PM
Do try to Peanutty Noodles -- they are very good. My husband usually doesn't care for peanut sauces either, but he really liked these. I did double the amount of chili garlic sauce though -- we like things a bit spicy. I halved the recipe and added a little shrimp, and we were still eating it for days (it reheats well, too -- another plus!).
Beth

[This message has been edited by BethR (edited 07-07-2000).]

emily
07-07-2000, 02:28 PM
Peanutty noodles? where did this come from? did i miss something? http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/confused.gif

i would love a recipe for peanutty noodles...

Natasha
07-07-2000, 02:51 PM
Hi Emily,
May 2000 CL, I believe. If you don't have that issue, I'll post it for you (or someone else will, I'm sure!).

Deanna
07-07-2000, 03:21 PM
I believe you can find it on the recipe search...that's where I got it (even though I have the magazine it saved me some typing to get it into Mastercook!)

Natasha
07-07-2000, 06:25 PM
Laura,
I saw a recipe for Satays with Peanut Sauce on ethnicgrocer.com, in case you re interested. I don t know how different it is from the recipes already posted, though.

Hi Emily,
Here is the recipe for Peanutty Noodles. Enjoy! (Hmmm ... it seems like we may be having technical difficulties again, with cut-off messages and the like. Hope not!)

Deanna - you were right; it WAS in the Recipe Search. I didn t find it earlier because I wasn t aware of the various ways that the recipe search works on this website. After reading Lisad s message, I dug around for this one. Still, it wasn t that easy to find (at least not to me!) so I thought I would copy and paste it from the recipe search archive. (Doesn t seem to have worked, though ... well, I see now that Laura has kindly posted it. Thanks Laura!)

Peanutty Noodles

2 carrots, peea

[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 07-07-2000).]

Laura B
07-07-2000, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the responses! I am going to copy all of those recipes into MasterCook and sometime in the next couple of weeks I will be trying some or all of them out.

Looks like Natasha's post was cut off somehow. Here is the Peanutty Noodle recipe. It got a really amazing response in some posts on the old board.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Peanutty Noodles

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. May 2000. Page: 142.
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pasta

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 carrots, peeled
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup natural-style peanut butter (such as
Smucker's)
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice or white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
2 cups red bell pepper strips
1 pound snow peas, trimmed
8 cups hot cooked linguine (about 1 pound
uncooked pasta)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Shave the carrots lengthwise into thin strips using a vegetable peeler, and set aside.

2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger and minced garlic; saute 30 seconds. Add chicken broth and the next 5 ingredients (broth through salt); stir until well-blended. Reduce heat, and simmer 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and keep warm.

3. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and snow peas; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Combine carrot, peanut butter mixture, bell pepper mixture, and linguine in a large bowl; toss well. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 cup).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 4 Calories (kcal); trace Total Fat; (1% calories from fat); trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 294mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : This dish comes together quickly when one person prepares the sauce while another sautes the vegetables. Break the pasta in half before cooking to make serving easier. These noodles complement the pork perfectly, but they also become their own main dish when you add cooked shrimp or chicken.
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

[This message has been edited by Laura B (edited 07-07-2000).]

Anne
07-08-2000, 12:11 AM
Hope you had a great time Down Under. Here are a couple - the first (Bon Appetit) is not really light and the second (forgot to keep the source) is a bit time consuming but both are really tasty. The bottom recipe works well for chicken but you might want to cut the fish sauce in half. We often double the lime and substitute chili paste for pepper for a little more umph.

CHICKEN, SHRIMP AND BEEF SATES WITH PEANUT SAUCE
Bon Appétit August 1992 Serves 8.

For Saté:
1 cup teriyaki sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons brown sugar
24 medium uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
1 1/4 pounds beef skirt steak, cut into 3x1/2-inch strips, or filet mignon, cut into 3 x 1/2 x 1/4-inch strips
36 (about) bamboo skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes
Banana leaves or ornamental kale
Lime slices

For peanut sauce:
1 cup creamy peanut butter (do not use old-fashioned style or freshly ground)
1 14 1/2-ounce can chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
Lime peel julienne
Hibiscus or gardenia flowers (optional)

For saté: Combine first 5 ingredients in large glass baking dish, Stir until sugar dissolves. Add shrimp, chicken and beef; stir to coat. Cover; chill 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Remove shrimp, chicken and beef from marinade. Thread on separate skewers, using about 3 shrimp per skewer and 2 beef or chicken pieces per skewer. Place on platter. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Grill skewered meats until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Line large platter with banana leaves. Place sauce in bowl in center of platter. Surround with skewers. Garnish
with lime and flowers, if desired, and serve.

For peanut sauce: Place peanut butter in heavy medium saucepan. Gradually mix in chicken broth. Add all remaining ingredients except lime peel. Stir over medium heat until smooth and thick, about 6 minutes. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Before serving, stir over medium heat until hot, thinning with water if necessary.) Pour sauce into bowl and garnish with lime peel. Makes about 3 cups.

Beef Satays over Thai Salad Serves 4

The salad that lies beneath the succulent chunks of sirloin here jump-starts the taste buds--romaine, cucumber, carrots, mint, and cilantro with a Thai dressing of fish sauce, lemon juice, and rice vinegar. It's refreshing, light, and perfect for a warm summer evening.

1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 stalks lemongrass, bottom third only, peeled and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons cooking oil
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 3/4 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam)*
1 tablespoon water
3/4 teaspoon rice-wine vinegar
Pinch dried red pepper flakes
1 small head romaine lettuce, cut crosswise into
1/2-inch strips (about 1 quart)
2 carrots, grated
1 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, and diced
1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

In a medium shallow glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the steak, lemongrass, half the garlic, the oil,1 1/2 Tablespoons of the lemon juice, ¾ teaspoon of the sugar, the salt, and black pepper. Set aside.

In a small glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the fish sauce, the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice, garlic, and 2 teaspoons sugar, the water, vinegar, and red-pepper flakes.

In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the romaine, carrots, cucumber, cilantro, and mint.

Light the grill or heat the broiler. Thread the steak onto eight skewers. Grill or broil the meat, turning, until done to your taste, about 5 minutes for medium rare. Toss the dressing with the salad and serve topped with the satays.

BethH
07-08-2000, 12:31 AM
Don't be afraid of the Peanutty Noodles--they are super! They really went over well at my house! If you like Satay (and I love it!), then you'll enjoy these noodles. Just remember the recipe serves 10 so either prepare for leftovers or cut it back!

Laura B
07-11-2000, 07:28 AM
OK - Tonight I am going to try the lowfat recipe that lorilei posted. Now, do any of you have a good spring roll recipe to go with? I found one in Cooking Light that I will use if none of y'all recommend another. I want it to be a veggie roll, preferably using cellophane noodles. The CL recipe I found uses rice paper wrappers and is served soft. Do you think it would be OK to lightly brown them in a pan though? I really love 'em crispy!