PDA

View Full Version : Should I be a Recipe Tester?

foodfly
06-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Anybody here doing this for Cook's Illustrated magazine? -- One recipe to test every 2 months and answer some questions about it. Sounds intriguing. :rolleyes:

Upsides? Downsides? Opinions?

TIA

Beth H
06-13-2006, 01:53 PM
I signed up to do this (and had been contacted), but then was too busy and ended up not doing it. But - I thought it sounded great, and a fun way to try new recipes! I'm a big fan of theirs anyway, and have had only one or two "failures" from their magazines and cookbooks.

Kathy B
06-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Sounds fun! I would do it. What have you got to lose? :)

foodfly
06-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Sounds fun! I would do it. What have you got to lose? :)

That's what I thought.

Threw my name in the hat and they responded immediately.

lindrusso
06-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Let me know if you try it.

Until we get fully moved, this will not really be an option for me, but as I don't tend to rush out and look for a job right away (if financially possible), this is something I might consider. Even if I were working, I think I could handle one recipe every two months.

Sounds like fun! :)

Alysha

lindrusso
06-13-2006, 03:48 PM
The only downside, I suppose, is if they want you try something you really don't like or want to cook. I'm funny about animal products, so if they wanted me to try something like duck or veal or anything else I find unappealing, I'd have a hard time. And I suppose some recipes could be a bit expensive to make.........

Do they ask you any questions about how flexible you are when it comes to eating/cooking/trying foods?

foodfly
06-13-2006, 04:10 PM
The only downside, I suppose, is if they want you try something you really don't like or want to cook. I'm funny about animal products, so if they wanted me to try something like duck or veal or anything else I find unappealing, I'd have a hard time. And I suppose some recipes could be a bit expensive to make.........

Do they ask you any questions about how flexible you are when it comes to eating/cooking/trying foods?

So far no questions, no details.....but I was thinking the same things about certain ingredients or cuisines I'm not particularly fond of...also at what expense.

CI is fairly conservative, so I don't anticipate anything overly exotic....

I can always say "No". I've already decided I am not turning on my oven in the upcoming 90-104 degree summer weather :p :p .

haley17
06-13-2006, 04:34 PM
I have been doing this for about six months and I think it is a lot of fun. They give you quite awhile, about a week or so, to test each recipe, and if you don't have time, that's okay too. The questionnaire for each recipe is pretty lengthy, but they are nearly the same, so you can get through them fairly quickly.

Overall, I like it.

foodfly
06-13-2006, 04:38 PM
I have been doing this for about six months and I think it is a lot of fun. They give you quite awhile, about a week or so, to test each recipe, and if you don't have time, that's okay too. The questionnaire for each recipe is pretty lengthy, but they are nearly the same, so you can get through them fairly quickly.

Overall, I like it.

Well, that's good news! Did you like the recipes?

Rae
06-13-2006, 04:42 PM
I hate to seem selfish, but what do you get for doing it? Free subscription? Name in the magazine? A thank you note? I know some people might want to do it just for the fun of it or as a way to contribute to a magazine they admire, but I'm just curious if there are any perks?

foodfly
06-13-2006, 04:55 PM
I hate to seem selfish, but what do you get for doing it? Free subscription? Name in the magazine? A thank you note? I know some people might want to do it just for the fun of it or as a way to contribute to a magazine they admire, but I'm just curious if there are any perks?

I agree. Something would certainly be nice for the time, cost, and effort.

Ali
06-13-2006, 05:07 PM
That sounds really interesting. I have the same question, do they pay you for doing this? If so I would also be interested.

Grace
06-13-2006, 05:13 PM
It says very clearly on the site that you get nothing. So it's only for those who want to do it for the fun, I guess.

foodfly
06-13-2006, 05:34 PM
It says very clearly on the site that you get nothing. So it's only for those who want to do it for the fun, I guess.

I had to Google to find where this was on their website.

"Before any recipe is published, we send it out to Friends of Cook's, who test it at home and answer a simple online questionnaire. Our "Friends" are not paid--they buy their own ingredients and cook the food on their own time--but they get to sample our recipes before they're published in the magazine and they help us make sure our recipes really do work.

This is not a marketing gimmick or promotional message. We really do want to know how our recipes fare in your home with your cookware, your oven, and ingredients from your local market. All we ask is that you tell us what you really think of our recipes."

Wendy w
06-13-2006, 05:52 PM
I agree. Something would certainly be nice for the time, cost, and effort.

I agree. I know that they give a little something when they publish reader's kitchen tips.

kjl
06-13-2006, 06:23 PM
I just tested my first recipe (they've sent me several, but this was the first I had time for), and it was tasty! I thought it was fun to test a recipe before it appeared in the magazine.