PDA

View Full Version : Question re Orzo w/ Chicken & Asiago

rinsav
06-25-2001, 04:17 PM
I want to make this for dinner tonight, but have a quick question before I start to make it. I have to warn you....this is probably a dumb question, but I'm comfortable enough with you all to ask it...THANKS!!!!!

When I add the chicken, should I have already cooked it or not? Here are the instructions:

Combine water and broth in a Dutch oven (I don't have one but assume I'll be okay with a large pot that I would cook pasta in); bring to a boil. Add chicken (12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast -- cut into bite-sized pieces) and pasta; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from hear; stir in peas, 1/4 cup cheese, salt, herbs, and pepper. Top each serving with 1T cheese.

Ralph
06-25-2001, 04:22 PM
Use uncooked chicken.

Simmering it for 12 minutes essentially poaches the chicken, cooking it just right! As for concerns about bacteria, you're maintaining a low boil with simmering & those little buggers won't survive. http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

rinsav
06-25-2001, 04:50 PM
Thanks, Ralph! I appreciate the help!

valchemist
06-25-2001, 04:53 PM
I just made this the other day. Ralph is right. Uncooked chicken. That is what makes this recipe so great. The chicken and orzo cook together and the broth becomes thick and creamy. So the method of preparation makes it easy and tasty.