PDA

View Full Version : Just took a gulp (by accident) of really sour milk - will I get sick? :(



scudgal
06-25-2006, 12:12 PM
We recently returned from 2 weeks vacation and unbenownst to me - the milk in the fridge today was the milk that we had purchased 3 weeks ago (it had been opened at the time by my husband - then forgotten). I rarely drink milk but wanted a bowl of cereal this morning - and assumed my husband (who usually goes to the supermarket several times a week) had purchased new milk. Well - I took a sip and it was the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. Now I'm wondering if I will get sick? Anyone know? Should I be concerned about food poisoning or worse, botulism?

Thanks,


Leslie

sneezles
06-25-2006, 12:21 PM
I doubt you'll get botulism. My DH is the milk tester around here and he unfortunately gets to drink sour milk all the time!

Beth
06-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Probably not any more than whatever gag reflex you already had.

Linda in MO
06-25-2006, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. I've done that before and didn't get sick.

GingerPow
06-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Been there, done that and still alive to tell the tale.
I'm sure that milk is in the garbage by now, but when we have milk that sours around here (not too far gone), I make pancakes with it.

sneezles
06-25-2006, 02:49 PM
when we have milk that sours around here (not too far gone), I make pancakes with it.

I make a chocolate cake that calls for sour milk!

scudgal
06-26-2006, 07:14 AM
Hi - well it's Monday morning and I am fine! That milk tasted so foul - I was sure I was going to get sick. Thanks to all for the words of reassurance.


Leslie

SusanL
06-26-2006, 07:21 AM
So glad to read that you are among the living after that accident! I hate when that happens!!!!! I had food poisoning once and it wasn't a pretty site. I was hospitalized, which was why I didn't post on this thread. I didn't want to scare you more than you were already. But glad things worked out. Thanks for letting us know!!

scudgal
06-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Susan - I'm so glad you didn't post about your food poisoning because I probably would have started to have symptoms just out of sheer panic! I hear food poisoning can be horrendous - what did you get it from?


Leslie

SusanL
06-26-2006, 07:27 AM
It was salomenella, from cottage cheese. I lost 60% of my body weight when I was in my early teens. Spent 2 weeks in the hospital, quarrantined sp?. Any dairy product makes me quiver since then, I am so careful about expiration dates, I pitch them before they expire.

scudgal
06-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Oh, Susan, that sounds horrible. I can see why you are cautious now with dairy products - as I will be after that disgusting gulp of milk yesterday morning. I had no idea you could get salmonella from dairy - I always just associated it with eggs.

I am hoping that if I was going to get sick it would have happened by now. But I can tell you that in the future, I am going to be extremely careful with dairy (I'm already borderline paranoid about eating other kinds of spoiled food - I was just so sure this milk had just been purchased by my husband (but I should really know better, because he is of the school of thought that people make too much of food safety - and most things that sit in the fridge for a while won't hurt you. He really should know better, his mother was a nurse - but believe it or not, she was just like he is - even left fried chicken out on the kitchen counter overnight - then ate it the next day - yuck!).


Leslie

GingerPow
06-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Food poisoning is dangerous and awful. DH & I ate at a restaurant years ago, and both had an appetizer of clams (I hear you already saying uh-oh) in a garlic tomato broth.

We got home and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Into the bathroom I flew, and sat :rolleyes: for quite a while. No further graphic details required.

I was lying on the bed afterwards, DH came in asked what was wrong, and I told him my insides were twisted into a giant knot. Hmmm, that's a shame, he replied.

Within ten minutes of that exchange, he races into the bathroom, and bows to the porcelain God.

We were trying to figure out what the heck happened, and realized the only thing we both ate was the same appetizer - the restaurant served over the hill clams, and disguised it in garlic broth. We never tasted anything "off." Never ate in that restaurant again, either. I guess we should have gone to the hospital, but didn't.

scudgal
06-26-2006, 09:18 AM
A coworker of mine got food poisoning from eating his mother's homemade (twice frozen) chicken soup. He was so sick that he had to be hospitalized for over a week (after they pumped his stomach). He said that he has never been that sick in his life and felt like he was going to die.

Needless to say, his mother felt terrible about giving him the soup - and has learned her lesson about not refreezing it.

GingerPow
06-26-2006, 09:39 AM
A coworker of mine got food poisoning from eating his mother's homemade (twice frozen) chicken soup. He was so sick that he had to be hospitalized for over a week (after they pumped his stomach). He said that he has never been that sick in his life and felt like he was going to die.

Needless to say, his mother felt terrible about giving him the soup - and has learned her lesson about not refreezing it.
That's why so many packages and labels indicate: Do Not Refreeze.

Tough way to learn that lesson. :( Thank goodness he ended up alright.

Canice
06-26-2006, 10:38 AM
.... I guess we should have gone to the hospital, but didn't.

What's the rule of thumb on that? I've had food poisoning twice and once was pretty fierce but it didn't occur to me to go the hospital - I thought you just has to let it run its course.

PAMMELA
06-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I smell the milk before I'd EVER take a sip!!! Blech!

Grace
06-26-2006, 12:48 PM
What's the rule of thumb on that? I've had food poisoning twice and once was pretty fierce but it didn't occur to me to go the hospital - I thought you just has to let it run its course.

If more is coming out of you than going in - if you can't keep anything down, not even water, then it's wise to go to the hospital so they can hook you up to some fluids. Dehydration is the real problem when you're that sick. Otherwise, yes, you pretty much do have to let it run it's course. Anitibiotics might work depending upon what you have, but for stuff like salmonella, there is nothing (at least there wasn't when I had it 20 years ago).

scudgal
06-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Pam - I DID smell it first - but didn't detect anything! And my smeller is usually pretty good. Not sure why it didn't smell sour - but let me tell you, it tasted disgusting! Yuck!