PDA

View Full Version : I need a salad suggestion

Goin' Coastal
06-28-2006, 08:57 AM
I am going to a party Saturday night and need to take a salad. It is this person's annual Italian bash, so first choice would be something Italian, but it doesn't have to be. It has to be something that can sit out for several hours. We have gone other years, and it is a large party with tables set up in the garage for the food. I have to work before we go. so it has to be something that either goes together very quickly, or can be made the night before. Anyone have any ideas? The host has provided lasagne and chicken in the past, with everyone else assigned a food category alphabetically. For food safety purposes, I would not be adverse to putting the salad out for the main eating times, and then removing it from the table. As the night goes on, people are doing more drinking and dancing than eating!

Andrea_2
06-28-2006, 09:11 AM
I had several requests for this recipe after making it for a similar party.

GREEK-ITALIAN CHOPPED SALAD
Steve Silverman of South Burlington, Vermont, writes: "In my cooking I tend to be very quick and health-conscious. During the summer, my wife, Mary, and I usually grill chicken or fish and make salads. I'll use whatever fresh vegetables and ingredients I have on hand and come up with a wonderful meal for the two of us."
To make this a substantial main course, add 1 1/4 pounds cooked shrimp.
6 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 small garlic clove, minced
6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 15 1/2-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup very thinly sliced red onion
1 cup very thinly sliced fresh fennel bulb
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)
2 ounces thinly sliced Italian Genoa salami, cut into strips
1/4 cup sliced pitted Kalamata olives

Whisk oil, vinegar, oregano, and garlic in small bowl to blend. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Combine lettuce, garbanzo beans, bell pepper, red onion, fennel, feta cheese, salami, and sliced olives in large bowl. Pour dressing over; toss to coat. Mound salad on platter and serve.

Makes 6 servings.
Bon Appétit
Too Busy To Cook?
June 2003
Steve Silverman, South Burlington, VT

Spryteness
06-28-2006, 09:42 AM
I don't know if you are looking only for a leafy salad, but my family loves this bread salad from Light & Tasty.

Italian Bread Salad

This twist on the typical tossed salad combines garden-fresh veggies with bread cubes and herbs...and is terrific when tomatoes are at their peak. "I first tasted this salad when I worked for a caterer. I experimented with different combinations until I came up with this version," says Kathleen Hufstedler of Kerrville, Texas.

1 cup cubed fresh tomato
2 Tbs minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
1 Tbs chopped green onion
2 tsp olive or canola oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
1- 1/4 cups cubed French or sourdough bread
2 Tbs minced fresh parsley

In a bowl, combine the tomato, basil, green onion, oil, vinegar and salt. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Place bread cubes in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato mixture. Add parsley. Serve immediately.

Yield: Yield: 2 servings.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Ready in: 15 minutes

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 serving
Percent daily values based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information provided by the recipe author.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 168.00
Calories From Fat (32%) 54.00
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6.00g 9%
Cholesterol 0.00mg 0%
Sodium 387.00mg 16%
Carbohydrates 25.00g 8%
Dietary Fiber 2.00g 8%
Net Carbohydrates 23.00g
Protein 0%

Terri_A
06-28-2006, 09:49 AM
What about an antipasto salad?

This one is from Everyday Italian -

Antipasto Salad Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Red Wine Vinaigrette:
1 bunch fresh basil, stemmed and leaves chopped (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Antipasto Salad:
1 pound fusilli pasta
1/2 cup hard salami, cut into strips (about 3 ounces)
1/2 cup smoked turkey, cut into strips (about 3 ounces)
1/4 cup provolone cheese, cut into strips
1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
2 tablespoons green olives, halved and pitted
2 tablespoons roasted red peppers, cut into strips
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Vinaigrette:
In a blender, add the basil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper. Blend until the herbs are finely chopped. With the machine running, drizzle in the olive oil until the dressing is smooth.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta.

In a large bowl, toss together the cooked pasta with the remaining salad ingredients. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Serve.

OR

Spinach Salad with Orange Vinaigrette

6 slices prosciutto
2 oranges, zested
2 small oranges, juiced or 1 large orange, juiced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 clove garlic, peeled
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
10 to 12 ounces pre-washed spinach

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the prosciutto slices on a baking sheet and bake until just crisp, about 10 minutes. Let cool. Crumble the prosciutto slices into a container and store in the refrigerator.

In a blender, combine the orange zest, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. With the blender running, add the olive oil in a steady stream until combined. Transfer to a container and store in the refrigerator.

To serve, put the spinach in a large bowl. Toss with enough of the vinaigrette to coat the spinach. Sprinkle with the crisp prosciutto crumbles, toss again, and serve.

GingerPow
06-28-2006, 09:57 AM
I love this salad in the summertime, it's got a fresh taste and accompanies a variety of dishes very well.
It is an unusual combination, and people are usually surprised at how good this is when I serve this because most are not familiar with it. I wasn't either, until I saw Paula Deen make it on one of her shows, I love watermelon and had to try it. (Sometimes I cheat and make a cruet of Good Seasons Italian to use as dressing. That is so good on this).

WATERMELON SALAD WITH MINT LEAVES
1 (5-pound) watermelon
1 Vidalia or other sweet onion
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
6 whole mint sprigs

Cut the flesh from the melon and cut into bite size pieces, removing and discarding the seeds, and set aside. Peel and slice the onion into rings.
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, pepper, and whisk until salt is dissolved. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, a few drops at a time. Add in the chopped mint, taste, and adjust seasonings.
In a large bowl, combine the melon, onion, and feta. Pour the dressing over the melon mixture and toss gently until everything is coated and evenly mixed. Garnish with mint sprigs.
To serve, divide salad among individual plates and garnish with mint leaves.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_21107,00.html
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/MurphChessLinus/watermelonsalad.jpg

Peweh
06-28-2006, 10:11 AM
What about an antipasto salad? I think this is the one I made for an Italian Buffet a few years ago; I went to the deli and got 1/2 inch thick slices of ham and salami and cut them into cubes and added to thew recipe below - I also don't think I used the asparagus because it wasn't available. Got rave reviews. Good Luck!

Antipasto Bowl
From

View Cooking Light Menu

This assortment of vegetables and cheese takes less than 30 minutes to prepare, but if you want to get as much as possible done in advance, make the vinaigrette a few days early. You can store this appetizer in the refrigerator for up to eight hours, but don't go longer than that, or it will affect the texture and flavor of the ingredients.

3 cups (2-inch) sliced asparagus (about 3/4 pound)
3 cups quartered mushrooms (about 3/4 pound)
1 cup red bell pepper strips
1/2 cup pitted ripe olives
3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cubed (about 2/3 cup)
1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
1 (11.5-ounce) jar pickled pepperoncini peppers, drained
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced

Steam asparagus, covered, for 2 minutes. Drain and plunge into ice water; drain well. Combine the asparagus, mushrooms, and the next 5 ingredients (mushrooms through pepperoncini peppers) in a large bowl.
Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Pour vinaigrette over the vegetable mixture, tossing gently to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours; stir occasionally.

Note: Can be served chilled or at room temperature.

Yield: 20 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 49(50% from fat); FAT 2.7g (sat 0.7g,mono 1.5g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 2.5g; CHOLESTEROL 2mg; CALCIUM 50mg; SODIUM 263mg; FIBER 1.2g; IRON 1.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 5g

Nancy Hughes
Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2000

sha
06-28-2006, 10:25 AM
I second the recommendation for Giada's antipasto salad. That would probably fare the best when left sitting out for awhile. You could also take some sliced crusty bread. People could ladle salad onto that for an edible serving "dish".

Sugar
06-28-2006, 10:36 AM
This is not italian - but super good and would do very well to sit out the entire evening.

In the June 2006 Cooking Light issue (pg 139) - Mango Rice Salad - they have it with Grilled Shimp - but for a buffet salad - I have left it out.