PDA

View Full Version : Any quilters out there?

suebear37
07-03-2006, 07:34 AM
I'm looking for a quilt pattern of an oar... not the rowboat type, but a crew blade. I tried a Google search for quilt patterns but it was completely overwhelming and nothing came up as a match. I think I could spend the rest of my life searching... So if anyone has a link to a free web pattern or has a pattern book title, I'd appreciate it!!!

Leslie Ferguson
07-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Let me give my wife a call (Quilter Kathy) to see if she's seen anything at her work or better yet has something in her stash. Either she or I will get back to you later today with the results of her search.

Les

Leslie Ferguson
07-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Depending on how you look at it I have bad news but I have a recommendation from LW to cover for the bad news. She doesn't have anything like what you're looking for and in all her years of working in fabric stores (about 11 consecutive years in stores that specialize in quilting fabric and patterns) she hasn't seen a pattern for a scull/oar like you're looking for.

However, her recommendation is to find a copy of one that you like and copy it to paper. Then you can applique it on and stitch it down (I think that's how she put it). She uses the technique often by scanning patterns/designs on our combination printer/scanner onto tracing paper. She'll make multiple copies of the pattern and stitch them down to the quilt she's working on.

I'll make sure that is the correct method to use when she gets home this evening (I called her at work and semi-disturbed her in the middle of a rush so she couldn't elaborate enough for me to fully understand).

Sorry I couldn't be of more use to you.

Les

rosen
07-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Depending on your skill level, you can design your own quilt. Is this something you want to do yourself? Or is this a group project for a crew?

There are several computer programs out there that you can use to "create" your design into simple to intricate patterns. If that is beyond your desire, price range or skill level, I would advise you to visit a local quilt shop & talk to the people who work there. Often they are designers themselves & love the chance to work on something new & challenging. Or they know of teachers in the area who may be willing to create something you would like. This could end up being free or less expensive than you would think. And it would free up all that time you are spending searching!

Let us know what you come up w/... & how it turns out!

suebear37
07-04-2006, 05:58 AM
I was thinking I would end up making my own pattern but was trying to avoid it. My mom is the quilter in the family so she's going to do the actual work, I was in charge of getting a pattern & picking out fabric.

The plan is to make a wall-hanging size quilt for both my son & his college coach. They had an awesome season & I thought it would be a nice memento.

When it all works out I'll try to post a pic!!!

Thanks again!
Sue