PDA

View Full Version : Converting Recipe from Metric

jtoepfert100
07-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Does anyone know a website where I can easily convert a recipe from metric to standard? I've got a cake I'm thinking of making but don't know how much stuff I need. :o

Blackberry Chocolate Cake #137722
recipe by tigerduck
from Recipezaar.com

A truely delicious dessert cake served right from the fridge. I used blackberries that I picked in the forest. The recipe, which is from a Swiss cooking magazine called 'Le Menu', calls for a chocolate with 70% cocoa. Mine had less, but it was still delicious. I also had to replace flour for the cornstarch thus I added it as an alternative. Preparation time does not include chilling time. Enjoy!
8-10 servings
50 minutes 30 mins prep
butter, for greasing
150 g chocolate (70%cocoa)
100 g butter
3 eggs
125 g sugar
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or Cointreau liqueur
100 g ground almonds (skin on)
2 tablespoons cornstarch or flour
100 g blackberries
icing sugar, for dusting

Line and butter a springform of 20cm.
Melt butter and chocolate on low heat. Let cool a little bit while stirring. Add eggs, sugar and gran marnier (or cointreau). Mix cornstarch (or flour) with ground almonds and add. Pour mixture into springform. Stick blackberries into mixture. Backe in the middle of a 200C oven for 20-25 minutes. THE CAKE SHOULD STILL BE MOIST. Remove cake and let cool.
Cool for several hours or best overnight.
Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve as it is or with whipped cream, sour cream or ice cream.

newcook
07-19-2006, 03:34 PM
This is one site that gives conversions

http://www.readersdigest.ca/food/metric.html

Clover
07-19-2006, 03:36 PM
www.gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm
Valchemist posted this site when someone else asked the same question recently. I highly recommend getting a kitchen scale to use with metric recipes--it's really so much easier to measure by weight than by volume. I wish all cookbooks would give us both measurements so we could take our pick.

jtoepfert100
07-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I do have a kitchen scale but it only measures in ounces - I've got a newer, fancier model on my wish list, though. :)

Only problem I'm going to have is that these measurements don't easily convert into standard amounts. For example, 100 g of butter is equal to 3.512 ounces. How in the heck am I going to measure that? :confused:

badunnin
07-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I do have a kitchen scale but it only measures in ounces - I've got a newer, fancier model on my wish list, though. :)

Only problem I'm going to have is that these measurements don't easily convert into standard amounts. For example, 100 g of butter is equal to 3.512 ounces. How in the heck am I going to measure that? :confused:

Jen - I usually round in that case - 3.5 oz will be fine - I doubt the .012 oz will be missed. ;)

jtoepfert100
07-19-2006, 04:05 PM
I figured as much but wasn't sure whether to round up or down. I worry with baking that if things are off slightly, I won't get the desired result. I'd hate to waste that much good chocolate and blackberries on a potential disaster. I'll have to think about attempting this one.

badunnin
07-19-2006, 04:08 PM
I figured as much but wasn't sure whether to round up or down. I worry with baking that if things are off slightly, I won't get the desired result. I'd hate to waste that much good chocolate and blackberries on a potential disaster. I'll have to think about attempting this one.

It looks like a stunning recipe - maybe I'll try and report back. ;)