PDA

View Full Version : Popping corn...any gourmet kernels out there?

wallycat
07-23-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't buy the "microwaved bag style" popcorn though I do make mine in the microwave.

I usually just get the 2# bags from the grocery store and find I have lots of unpopped kernels.

Anyone have a favorite brand/type of popping corn??

TIA.

birdyone
07-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Might sound silly but Orville (in my mind) still has the best popcorn. I do not use the microwave stuff either. I bought an aluminum pot that has a 'stirrer' handle on it and the results are perfect popcorn every time. I think Giada had a very simple recipe for a blend of fresh rosemary/sea salt that is excellent with home-popped-corn. If you are interested, I can probably dig it up - I have a rather large container of it made up for regular use.

funnybone
07-23-2006, 02:20 PM
I've never ordered from this place, but made a note of it the last time we passed by it in Indiana. www.gpopcorn.com

Terri_A
07-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Okay, this might be a silly question, and I don't mean to hijack, but I was given one of those pots with the stirring thing as a gift by someone who knows my love of popcorn, but I don't know how to use it and it did not come iwth instructions....can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

imloulou
07-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Okay, this might be a silly question, and I don't mean to hijack, but I was given one of those pots with the stirring thing as a gift by someone who knows my love of popcorn, but I don't know how to use it and it did not come iwth instructions....can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Is this the pan?

Whirley Popper (http://www.selectpopcorn.com/store.asp?popcorn=14&Cat=3&SubCat=14)

if so...click on the link "popping instructions". I hope this is yours! If it is not then what is the brand name on yours?

As far as good popping kernels I like Orville and Newmans. I find they both pop really good on the stovetop. YUM...you guys have me wanting popcorn :D

birdyone
07-23-2006, 06:23 PM
That's the one I have - just love it! Having 'fought' with microwaves, etc. for many years - this bar-none makes the best popcorn - extremely quick!

Terri_A
07-23-2006, 07:00 PM
That's it!!! Thank you sooooo much! I can't wait to try it out!

Julie O
07-23-2006, 08:48 PM
See if you can find Yoder's popcorn. They're here in Indiana, but I'm sure they ship nationally. I had gotten burned out on popcorn, probably because of all the bad popcorn I ate at the Colts games last year. A few weeks ago I picked up Yoder's popcorn at the farmer's market, and I think it's some of the best I've ever had. Yum!

imloulou
07-23-2006, 09:00 PM
That's it!!! Thank you sooooo much! I can't wait to try it out!

Hey Terri!
I just looked again and the instructions that they show on the link above are for just the popcorn...not the WhirleyPop. BUT...here is the WhirleyPop website with instructions (for real this time ;) :D )

WhirleyPop (http://www.whirleypop.com/)

Sorry about the bum link!

surfer376
07-23-2006, 09:39 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001K2M3W.01-A2EPL2EKO509V._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1076954933_.jpg

This is the one I have and I love it.....you can pop corn without oil!

Chari

Slowcooker
07-23-2006, 11:32 PM
We have a "Presto Poplite gourmet hot air popper" from Wal-Mart, and we buy organic popcorn from our natural foods store. It's multi-colored kernels. DH just made a huge bowl, and I asked him how many kernels were unpopped- DH: "one". No kidding! I don't know if it's the popper or the popcorn, but we always devour the whole bowl!

Tantegrazie
07-23-2006, 11:34 PM
This is the exact one that I use. I do use the oil, but the only drawback is those little white disks that you have to buy. I bought mine at walmart.

I like
:D the bulk popcorn at Wild oats store.

cangoss
07-24-2006, 07:53 AM
I have a Stir Crazy that I adore, and I agree with those who have said that Orville Redenbacher is the best. I tried the "Jolly Time" in a bag, and it wasn't anywhere near as good.

Cookin4Love
07-24-2006, 08:21 AM
We still love these seasonings (http://www.nomorenakedpopcorn.com/) on our popcorn. We first saw and tried them at a local theater, and we've been hooked ever since.