PDA

View Full Version : HELP - QUICK!! Can roasted red peppers go bad?

SweetTooth
08-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Dinner is on the stove cooking - help me quick!!!

I went to use a jar of roasted red peppers in the cabinet for dinner and didn't hear the "snap" when I unscrewed the lid.

Can they go bad? They smell ok, but how do I know?

Would you use them?

TIA!!

SweetTooth
08-09-2006, 04:43 PM
OK - I found another jar in the back of the pantry and am using it.

:o

sneezles
08-09-2006, 04:43 PM
I'd probably use them if they didn't spew liquid when you opened the jar. I tend to live dangerously when cooking though!

skupe123
08-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Dinner is on the stove cooking - help me quick!!!

I went to use a jar of roasted red peppers in the cabinet for dinner and didn't hear the "snap" when I unscrewed the lid.

Can they go bad? They smell ok, but how do I know?

Would you use them?

TIA!!

There'd be mold in the jar if they were bad. I would return them to the store and get a fresh jar. Just say that you didn't hear the "snap" when you unscrewed the lid.

Suz

chipotle
08-09-2006, 05:57 PM
I have had leftover roasted red peppers in the jar mold in the refrigerator. I buy the smallest container I can find and yet still I can't seem to eat them quickly enough. Does anyone know if I can freeze the remainder of the jar contents after opening?

mcgeiger
08-09-2006, 06:14 PM
FWIW The danger of food that is not preserved is not mold, but botulism, which you won't always see or smell...

mbrogier
08-10-2006, 12:17 AM
I have had leftover roasted red peppers in the jar mold in the refrigerator. I buy the smallest container I can find and yet still I can't seem to eat them quickly enough. Does anyone know if I can freeze the remainder of the jar contents after opening?

Yes, they freeze quite well. You can even cut them while they're still frozen if you wish to only use part of what you froze.

I buy red peppers when they're on sale at the green grocers and roast them myself. I then freeze them for future use.

I would be a bit concerned about botulism, too. It wouldn't be worth a $4 jar of peppers.