PDA

View Full Version : Stinkin' Dog!!! (Literally!)

sugarbaby
08-23-2006, 09:48 PM
My stinkin' dog! He's a 9 month-old blue heeler, still has a lot of puppy in him, which I tell myself accounts for the nastiness he's been up to! We live by a large desert field with a wash that runs through it. DH likes to walk with him through the wash. Other people walk their dogs out there, coyote packs run out there at night, and all these animals poop. Tank (a.k.a. Stinkin' Dog) decided to roll around in someone else's fresh poop tonight! GRRRR! I'd say all this to him, but he just cocks his head and looks at me like rolling in poo is adorable! GRRR!

cookieee
08-23-2006, 09:56 PM
That is bad, Sugarbaby, but not as bad as I thought you were going to say. I thought he tangled with some skunks. Never had that problem, but I hear it is harder to get out then poo.

Grace
08-23-2006, 10:46 PM
One of my two does this whenever I walk them after it rains. :mad: Something about what WET other-animal poo smells like that is just too irresistable I guess. :rolleyes: Nothing more fun than washing a poo dog at midnight! :mad: (I walk my dogs late at night so they can be off leash and run).

Sorry you have to deal with this! I know EXACTLY how you feel!!

oceanjasper
08-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Not sure if that is worse than a dog rolling in a pile of dead, rotten salmon at the edge of the river. Don't really want to know. :D

shscharles
08-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Ketchup or tomato juice will get skunk smell out of a dog...actually, the one time it happened to my basset hound all I had was a can of Muir Glen tomatoes so I pureed them and dumped it on the dog and it worked fine...

Not sure about the poop...call your vet...they've heard it all!

FruitsAlive
08-24-2006, 08:59 AM
It's amazing what they'll get into. I've had to clean poo off of my puppy quite a bit when she was much smaller - loved to roll in the stuff. I'm not sure if that was worse than what I had to do with her older sister from time to time. When she got into the litter box, I would have to clean cat poo out of her teeth. Ok, that was worse.
While a bath always does the trick, I like to use Suave 2 in 1 on my dogs. I've talked to the Vet about it to make sure it's ok. It's gentle on their skin, great for their coat and smells so good. No wet dog smell at all.

imloulou
08-24-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure if that was worse than what I had to do with her older sister from time to time. When she got into the litter box, I would have to clean cat poo out of her teeth. Ok, that was worse.

OMG this thread is killin' me! :D

My dogs dont roll in it but they also eat cat poo. We see the dogs in the pinestraw digging around for "tootsie rolls". BLECH!!!!

Tank (a.k.a. Stinkin' Dog) decided to roll around in someone else's fresh poop tonight! GRRRR! I'd say all this to him, but he just cocks his head and looks at me like rolling in poo is adorable! GRRR!

LOL...that was cute! Stinky I'm sure...but cute! :D

Varaile
08-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Oh I am SOOOO glad my dogs don't like to roll in nasty stuff!

With that being said, my English Setter has a way with finding skunks...about this time of year actually! He got into two last year and one the year before that. The best was when he found a skunk exactly 1 hour before I needed to be out the door to catch a plane. Urk. :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

Actually, in the winter he also likes to eat the frozen tootsie rolls my other dog makes, :o :eek: but not in the summer. Go figure.

sparrowgrass
08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
One of mine came galumphing in the front door last night with SOMETHING dangling from his jaws. I managed to get him to carry it back out to the porch, where I made him drop it. Whew--something so rotten I couldn't even look to see what it was, exactly.

I went out armed with a big plastic bag this morning--in the daylight I could see that it was part of a long-dead cat. Yick. Where is the throw-up emoticon?

He also brings box turtles in all the time--usually with all the edges of the shells gnawed off. He can't quite break them open, but he tries. I have been picking up all the turtles and carrying them to my mom's house, where they won't have to worry about being gnawed or being run over.

The other one licks the floor.

Oh, well, maybe they discourage the burglars.

BarbaraL
08-24-2006, 02:45 PM
I've heard of predators rolling in the droppings of prey animals in order to mask their scent when hunting. Don't see how this would work if they roll in the droppings of other predators (coyotes), though.

Anyhow . . . yech, yech, yech.

momqat
08-24-2006, 03:50 PM
A friend of mine had a HUGE golden/yellow lab mix. Sweetest dog you'd ever want to meet, but certainly not the brightest bulb in the package. Anyway, in back of their house was a farm and the farmer raised buffalo. (Can you tell where this is going? :rolleyes: ) One day I pulled into her driveway to see the dog digging under their fence, so I ran over to get him but was too late. By the time my friend's DH managed to corral the dog and drag him back home, he (the dog) had spent a good half hour or more taking a buffalo s**t bath :eek: ... he was COVERED in it and his fur was more like a golden's than a lab's (long) -- it was not a pretty sight -- or smell.

BTW, I've read that Massengil's works wonders on stinky dogs and leaves them nice and sweet smelling. :p

shscharles
08-24-2006, 06:28 PM
The same bassett hound I referred to before also was heavily into recycling...yep, that kind of recycling. And you said the barfing emoticon was where?

sneezles
08-24-2006, 07:15 PM
I've heard of predators rolling in the droppings of prey animals in order to mask their scent when hunting. Don't see how this would work if they roll in the droppings of other predators (coyotes), though.

Anyhow . . . yech, yech, yech.

A blue heeler is a cow dog and by rights would normally be working a herd so rolling in poo would help with the herding. Our dogs not only roll in cow patties they enjoy them as an afternoon snack! :o Our dogs are ranch dogs so they can stink all they want cause they ain't comin' in my house!

Now, Grits, is a 2 1/2 month old blue heeler but she hasn't been out in the pasture yet...not till hse's had all her shots!

LakeMartinGal
08-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Now for some practical advice! ;) :D

Neutrogena shampoo is great for getting nasty stuff off dogs, and rinses clean, too, so only 1 shampoo is needed (usually)... been there, done that... but with deer poop! :p ;)