PDA

View Full Version : Have a roll of Polenta, now what, and what about the leftovers?

applecrisp
08-24-2006, 03:12 PM
I have a roll of Polenta from TJ's that I want to use. I have only cooked with Polenta once or twice so any recipes OF COURSE WELCOME!!!!!!! I am planning to try making Polenta one of these days -- but for now we have the roll!

I am thinking of baking it with a topping of some tomatoes, zucchini, onions and some tomato sauce and cheese. But, can so easily ditch that plan for something different.

Since just cooking for one -- what do you do with the leftover polenta roll? Can you freeze a cooked polenta dish (what about if not baked?) or do you just refrigerate the leftover roll? And, if you refrigerate, I am thinking it would keep for a few days?

Thanks,

memartha
08-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi, I can't answer all of your questions, but I have successfully frozen cooked polenta.

Also, there was a recipe on the boards for spicy black beans over polenta which I bet could be adapted to your type of polenta, if it wasn't the tube kind that was called for. I'll try to find the recipe.

Martha

dorothyntototoo
08-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Michael Chiarello has several recipes using polenta. Since you have the roll, you could make his lasagna, or grill it & then put your tomato sauce on top. http://www.napastyle.com/kitchen/recipes/recipes.jsp

My mother used to buy rolls of cornmeal mush (aka polenta) & would coat slices of it with flour & fry it for breakfast. We'd have it with butter & syrup. You won't have any leftovers. :D

ADM
08-24-2006, 03:50 PM
* Exported from MasterCook *

Polenta With Roasted Vegetables

Serving Size : 4
Grains - Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 cups zucchini -- 1" pieces
2 1/2 cups red bell pepper -- 1" pieces
1 cup red onion -- 1" pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup fresh basil -- chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 16 oz tubes polenta -- sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup feta cheese -- crumbled

Combine first zucchini, pepper, onion and olive oil. Arrange in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 475 degrees, 25 minutes or until tender, stirring after 15 minutes. Stir in basil, vinegar and black pepper.

Preheat broiler. Place polenta slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Broil 7 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Spoon roasted vegetables over polenta; sprinkle with cheese.

--------------------------------------------------------

Cornmeal - Polenta With Cheese

Serving Size : 4
Grains - Basic Make-Your-Own recipe

1 cup yellow, or white, cornmeal
1 cup cold water
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups boiling water
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese -- freshly grated

Combine cornmeal, cold water and salt. Grease a loaf pan. Bring the remaining 3 cups of water to a rolling boil , stir in cornmeal mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to a simmer, stir in cheese. Simmer 20-30 minutes; stirring frequently, until it becomes very thick. Spread into a greased loaf pan, refrigerate at least 4 hours before slicing and serving.

Top with grilled vegetables, or use as a potato or rice substitute, (with or without parmesan cheese).

EllenL
08-25-2006, 06:54 AM
We love the following recipe:

BA Polenta and Black Bean Casserole - fast dinner

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cans diced green chilies -- (4 ounce) drained
1/4 cup canned salsa verde (tomatillo salsa)
3 large garlic cloves -- minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 16 ounce purchased polenta roll -- cut into 18 rounds
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 can black beans -- (15 ounce) well drained
1 can golden hominy -- (15 ounce) well drained
3 cups coarsely grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 10 ounces)

Position rack in middle of oven and preheat to 450F. Oil 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Mix 1/2 cup cilantro, chilies, salsa verde, garlic, and cumin in medium bowl. Arrange 9 polenta rounds in bottom of dish, spacing evenly. Drizzle 1/4 cup cream over. Top with half of beans, half of hominy, and half of chili mixture. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups cheese. Repeat layering. Cover with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 475F; uncover casserole and bake until top is golden brown, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and serve.

S(Internet Address):
"http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=36959&highlight=polenta+black+bean"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 183 Calories; 8g Fat (37.9% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 11mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

We leave the whipping cream out. I don't know how this would freeze, but it does very well being reheated.

Also like sauteed spinach on top of the polenta.

Applecrisp, I'm so impressed about you cooking for yourself! It is hard cooking for one; lots of people opt for a bowl of cereal or some popcorn for dinner.

CompassRose
08-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Me, if I have leftover polenta, I just "fry" (nonstick pan, cooking spray) a couple slices up in the morning, and serve topped with scrambled eggs and egg whites, maybe a bit of cheese. Yum!

applecrisp
08-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas --- got to love the BB. Have printed them out and will try all of the recipes. They look great.

Thanks again.

cher48603
08-27-2006, 09:13 AM
This one has received good reviews at Allrecipes. Notes are not mine.

I think it looks like a good way to use a couple of extra squash. :rolleyes:

Italian Summer Squash Polenta Bake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Summer Recipes To Try

3 carrots -- sliced
1 large zucchini -- sliced
1 large yellow squash -- sliced
1 red onion -- chopped
1 red bell pepper -- chopped
1 cup spaghetti sauce
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 pinch garlic salt
ground black pepper -- to taste
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 package prepared polenta -- (18 ounce)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Saute carrots, zucchini, squash, onion and bell pepper in a large saucepan with a small amount of olive oil. Season with garlic salt and pepper. Saute vegetables for approximately 5 minutes and pour in spaghetti sauce. Stir, cover and simmer until vegetables are slightly tender.

Slice polenta into 1/2 inch circles and season with garlic salt and pepper. Heat enough oil in a medium skillet so as to completely cover the entire bottom of the pan. Pan fry seasoned polenta in hot oil, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from oil and layer the slices in a large casserole dish. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the polenta and then sprinkle with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.

Bake casserole for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

S(Internet Address):
"http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/ItalianSummerSquashPolenta.asp?ARBMID=627&ARFMTID=1"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 291 Calories; 20g Fat (61.0% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 31mg Cholesterol; 510mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : This was an easy and delicious summer dinner; we just melted the cheese under the broiler, so the polenta stayed crispy under the marinara sauce.

I made this with the "Basic Cheese Polenta" recipe from this site as suggested by another reviewer. Even my meat-loving husband liked it! Makes great leftovers, too!

I followed the original recipe, but with the addition of a few herbs over the polenta before vegetables and sauce were added. I also sauteed the veggies with 3 cloves of minced garlic and some salt, which really brought out the flavors.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0