PDA

View Full Version : I need an autunm-y main dish for supper club.... mind is blank

veschke
08-25-2006, 05:26 AM
In two weeks I finally get to host our supper club. The theme is "farmer's market" (which I shamelessly stole from another post here). The unofficial tradition is that the host provides a main dish, and I'm looking forward to it, but my mind is absolutely blank! Due to work and travelling and the fact of summer, my cooking has been very simple lately. I think I've forgotten how to cook for company. :confused:

So what I can do that says "September" and uses seasonal ingredients?

vbak
08-25-2006, 06:36 AM
When I hear September I think pork and apples. We really like this recipe for pork. Let's see if I can do this.CIDER-BRAISED PORK SHOULDER WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS
Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 3 hr

click photo to enlarge
1 (3- to 4-lb) bone-in fresh pork shoulder half (preferably arm picnic)
2 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 lb onions (5 or 6 medium), halved lengthwise, then cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
3/4 cup unfiltered apple cider

Preheat oven to 325°F.
Score fat and any skin on pork in a crosshatch pattern. Make slits all over meat with a small sharp knife and insert a garlic sliver in each slit. Pat pork dry and season with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in a 4- to 5-quart ovenproof heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown meat on all sides, turning occasionally with the aid of tongs and a carving fork, about 8 minutes. Transfer pork to a plate.

Add onions to pot and sauté over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt and sauté, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden and caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes more.

Stir in cider and return pork to pot.

Cover pot with a tight-fitting lid and braise pork in middle of oven until very tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Transfer pork to a serving dish with the aid of tongs and carving fork. Boil cooking juices with onions until mixture is reduced to about 2 cups, 2 to 3 minutes, then season with salt and pepper and serve with pork.

Cooks' note:
• Pork can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, uncovered, then chill, covered. Reheat in liquid, covered, at 325°F 1 hour.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Gourmet
December 2001

acginkc
08-25-2006, 08:44 AM
We had this theme last month and it was great. One of our members found a list online of what was in season and that really helped. I am not the best at the google search thing, so can't find you a great list right now. I think once you can see what is in season still, doing something cool on the grill is always good. Gotta get those last few flames used up before its too cold. We loved this theme so have fun with it.

swquilts
08-25-2006, 08:46 AM
How about some sort of chunky stew/braised meat dish? Sept here on the left coast is still too warm for this type of dish, but in MA it should be nice. You could get all of your fresh veggies from farmers market, free range meat, etc.

I wish it would cool down here so I can make some "autumn-y" stuff too! :)

HRJ
08-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Several years ago when our Supper Club was still in existence (I miss those guys!) we had a "fall" theme. I made a chicken-and-apple dish from one of the Weight Watcher cookbooks -- doubled the recipe to feed a larger crowd.

You could also look for a chicken-with-grapes recipe.

I've also made this particular recipe with leeks subbing for the onions, and it comes out very nicely. Roasted sweet potatoes or squash makes a nice accompaniment.

APPLE-BRAISED CHICKEN

2 tsp vegetable oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast(s), four 4 oz pieces
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 large onion(s), sliced
2 medium apple(s), firm, cored and sliced
1 cup apple cider
1 cup fat-free chicken broth
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cornstarch

In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, warm oil over high heat. Toss chicken with flour, patting off excess. Place in pan and brown well on both sides.

Remove chicken from pan, reduce heat to low and add onion. Sauté, stirring often, until onion is tender and lightly browned.

Stir in apples, cider, chicken broth, salt, ginger and chicken. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken, onions and apples to a serving dish.

In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 2 to 3 tablespoons of pan juices. Combine cornstarch mixture with remaining pan juices, whisking constantly. Simmer for one minute. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.

Have fun

Helene

Canice
08-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Fall definitely makes me think pork, mushrooms, apples, stews, braises (I can't wait to try the chicken fricasee from the June "Gourmet" magazine).

I don't want this to come out wrong, but if the theme is "farmers' market" isn't the idea that you don't plan a dish til you see what's fresh and beautiful in the market and take it from there?

veschke
08-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't want this to come out wrong, but if the theme is "farmers' market" isn't the idea that you don't plan a dish til you see what's fresh and beautiful in the market and take it from there?

Heh. I know what you mean, but it would be nice for everyone else to have some idea what I'm making so they don't accidentally do the same thing. We're not the best-organized group to begin with. :o

I am definitely grooving on the apple thought, perhaps because it's chilly and rainy here today. Thanks for the suggestions!