PDA

View Full Version : Too many feathers!

Melman
08-26-2006, 05:13 AM
I suspect I'm not the only person to have this problem. I have wonderful feather pillows. They're just the right "squishiness" for my head. They're incredibly comfortable. Unfortunately, I now have feathers everywhere. Anytime the sheets are changed, feathers fly. Though that's a pain trying to pick up all of them from every surface, it's the ones that poke through in the night that drive me crazy. Roll over - *ouch*. Sharp object on my face...arms...shoulders...wherever. It's a rude awakening.

So...I know this is a creative bunch. Is there a remedy for this other than buying new pillows? Is there a cover or anything that can be purchased similar to a pillowcase? I want to retain the comfort...I just want to get rid of the excess fluffage all my house and the feathers poking me when I least expect it during the night.

THANKS!!

Beachside
08-26-2006, 05:31 AM
I suspect I'm not the only person to have this problem. I have wonderful feather pillows. They're just the right "squishiness" for my head. They're incredibly comfortable. Unfortunately, I now have feathers everywhere. Anytime the sheets are changed, feathers fly. Though that's a pain trying to pick up all of them from every surface, it's the ones that poke through in the night that drive me crazy. Roll over - *ouch*. Sharp object on my face...arms...shoulders...wherever. It's a rude awakening.

So...I know this is a creative bunch. Is there a remedy for this other than buying new pillows? Is there a cover or anything that can be purchased similar to a pillowcase? I want to retain the comfort...I just want to get rid of the excess fluffage all my house and the feathers poking me when I least expect it during the night.

THANKS!!

If one pillow protector doesn't work, perhaps two? Or that might be too crinkly & would add another no-no to sleep. A pillow protector that is heavier material? I hated when the "fluff" happened....but the sharp poke---awful! No longer have the feathers tho'---allergies! ;)

Gumbeaux
08-26-2006, 06:03 AM
I would ditch the pillow and buy a 100% goose down pillow.

Cheap pillows include feathers as well as down. The seams on your pillows will stretch over time and allow the feathers to work themselves out of the pillow quill first. True down (see photo below), which is a lot more comfortable, does not have quills and is less likely to come out of your pillow.

http://www.supplierlist.com/prodphoto/Washed_White_Goose_Down.jpg

Melman
08-26-2006, 06:24 AM
Ooooh,....I like the look of down! I didn't see anything sharp on that picture!!! I hate to buy new ones, but maybe I should just start watching the local sales and see what I can find. I guess these could be sent to the guest room where they'd rarely ever be used.

Beachside, I also wondered if there could be some type of pillow protector that might work. You're right that I don't want to "hear" crinkle sounds either.

Thanks!

jimjimmerjim
08-26-2006, 06:35 AM
We had the same problem with our feather pillows. Bed Bath and Beyond sells pillow covers that are made out of a soft fabric.

That really took care of the problem.

Melman
08-26-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks for that BB&B pointer. I have dozens of their 20% off coupons. Maybe I'll wander over today.