PDA

View Full Version : Borax or baking soda for stinky laundry?

beckms
09-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Anyone use Borax in their laundry? I've been using baking soda ind addition to detergent to try to get the odor out of DF's stinky workout clothes. I think it works sometimes, but I thought I'd try Borax to see if it does any better. So far all I've noticed is that it leaves powdery clumps on the clothes if they're not rinsed enough. :mad:

Preferences? Borax vs baking soda?

ck'sdiner
09-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Anyone use Borax in their laundry? I've been using baking soda ind addition to detergent to try to get the odor out of DF's stinky workout clothes. I think it works sometimes, but I thought I'd try Borax to see if it does any better. So far all I've noticed is that it leaves powdery clumps on the clothes if they're not rinsed enough. :mad:

Preferences? Borax vs baking soda?
Try White Vinegar, works great for me

bobmark226
09-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Try White Vinegar, works great for me

I picked up that hint in this forum and have done it ever since, works great. I buy white vinegar in gallon jugs now.

I am paranoid about "old man" smells. :eek:

Bob

laurelhiker
09-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Although it may seem like overkill, I add both to my laundry: 1/2 cup baking soda to 1/4 cup borax per load (in addition to my regular detergent). Works wonderfully.

I used to make my own laundry detergent (Sandy Maine's recipe), but I had too many respiratory problems mixing the stuff (Sodium Laurel Sulfate is extremely finely powdered and gets through several layers of dust masks). So now I just add the same baking soda/borax ratio to Method, and my laundry is always fresh. :)

-- GG

LakeMartinGal
09-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Febreeze has a laundry additive for smelly clothes, but I think the vinegar would work just as well... ;)

beckms
09-10-2006, 05:03 PM
the laundry doesn't smell like vinegar??

badunnin
09-10-2006, 05:11 PM

Nope. :) Not a bit.

jmarie
09-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Put it in the wash cycle, it rinses out the rinse cycle and works great!

donleyk
09-11-2006, 06:10 AM
I will have to try the vinegar. I do use borax but I've found that it nuetralizes the smell of the detergent. We have well water so this isn't a good thing.