PDA

View Full Version : Can a chipped glass bowl be fixed?

Lauren
09-12-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm so mad at myself. :mad: I had company on sunday and served a cold pasta salad in a very special glass bowl. Stupid me put it out with a regular spoon, rather than a wooden or plastic one. So, now I have a nice chip on the rim of the bowl.

Can it be repaired? I was wondering what would happen if I put a dab of a clear epoxy on the rim. Any thoughts? TIA!

Gumbeaux
09-12-2006, 10:49 AM
The only way I've ever heard of fixing something like this is to use a diamond glass file to remove the the sharp edge.

dixie
09-12-2006, 10:54 AM
I see booths set up at the mall occasionally for crystal and glass repair. They say they can repair chips in very nice glassware, tho I haven't personally used them. I'd call a nice antique store or jewelry/gift store in your area and see if they recommend someone.

CompassRose
09-12-2006, 01:55 PM
A. has repaired a couple of small chips in glass bowls and goblets for me. He uses very very fine diamond sandpaper first, and finishes them with jeweller's rouge. I don't know where one gets jeweller's rouge (he makes jewellery sometimes). Anyway, when he's done, there's a little tiny divot in the edge, but it's not sharp and you don't really notice it.

Tangerine
09-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Lauren, don't put any epoxy or anything else on it. Gumbeaux's suggestion is a very easy and effective way to go.

I just went to the middle drawer of my sideboard buffet, where I keep the "Crystal Saver" Diamond File my aunt once gave me, and looked at it. It's made by DMT in Marlboro, Mass, but I'm sure there are other brands, too. It's magic. I've used it for two wine goblets and a glass covered casserole I use in my microwave. They now are perfectly usable again, nice and smooth. You can work it so that the nick is barely noticeable, too. I highly recommend it. I always feel confident knowing I have it there, in the drawer.

Tangerine

Lauren
09-13-2006, 05:50 AM
Thanks all!

Tangerine - Is this what you have?

http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/productonwhite/COO.jpg

CRYSTAL SAVERŪ The original 4" (102 mm) half-round diamond file developed for smoothing chipped edges of fine crystal, china, ceramic, glassware or any hard material. Faceted crystal-like 4" (102 mm) handle.

Tangerine
09-13-2006, 09:57 AM
YES, Lauren!!! That's exactly it!

When my glass casserole dish fell and chipped on the rim, I almost passed out, because I use it in the microwave but it's really from my silver chafing dish. When I used the Crystal Saver it was like a miracle.

When my aunt gave it to me, it looked rather "old fashioned" and I put it in the back of the drawer, but now, I give it a place of honor, knowing what it can do in case of emergency. I have since had two more emergencies with guests and expensive wine goblets, and "all better" in a matter of moments.

Where did you find the photo, etc.?

Tangerine

Lauren
09-13-2006, 10:26 AM
You sent me to the right place with the name of the company.

http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/other.htm#diapaste

But then I saw that Amazon is a retailer and found this. I'm going to order it. Thanks so much!

http://www.amazon.com/DMT-Crystal-Saver-4-102mm/dp/B0001WP1GK/sr=1-1/qid=1158164731/ref=sr_1_1/102-3859486-5286517?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Salt
09-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Thank You for the info on the Crystal Saver. I had no idea that I could fix a chip in my glass bowl. I've just been very careful with my favorite bowl with a chip on the rim. My husband has come close to throwing it out a couple of times but I won't let him. He will be glad to hear that it can now be fixed.

Thanks so much!

Lauren
09-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the boards Salt! I get the best information here ... and not just about cooking! :p

donnamp14
09-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! I have some Galway crystal glasses that I bought in Ireland and two have tiny chips, so I haven't been using any of them. I just ordered the Crystal Saver from Amazon. Now I can even use the Waterford without major worries!

Yes, I have learned sooooo much from all of you! Bring on the holidays!

-Donna

Tangerine
09-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Lauren and Donna, we're neighbors--I'm from Western Mass.

I'm thrilled my auntie's Crystal Saver has come to the fore!!

Tangerine

Lauren
09-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Where in Western MA? I went to the Food and Wine Festival this summer at Tanglewood and we stayed in Pittsfield.

Homemadechef
09-13-2006, 07:25 PM
I work in stained glass and agree that a diamond file can be used to smoothe rims of crystal drinking glasses as well as small chips in other pieces. If you're dealing with a hairline crack as opposed to a chip, it will eventually "run" and can't be repaired. But rough spots and small chips...absolutely. :D

Tangerine
09-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Lauren, I'm not far at all from Pittsfield. Just down the line, about a 40 minute drive or so, straight west. Was there music at Tanglewood when you went to the Food and Wine Festival? Tell me about the wine, was it local? I had a delicious red house wine from a Mass vineyard at a local restaurant, but I can't remember which winery it was. One of them features Blueberry wine! I think one is in Dudley, and there are around 4.

Tangerine

Lauren
09-15-2006, 05:01 AM
Tangerine - you must be almost in NY!

Here's the link for the Food & Wine festival. The wines were from all over, but many local restaurants were there serving samples.

http://www.tanglewoodwineandfoodclassic.com/itemB/detail2columnTWD.jhtml;jsessionid=ARWVDMHE0CK4ZLA2 DKECFEQ?id=20100179&area=tgl&_requestid=80190

We had dinner in a wonderful small restaurant in Pittsfield. Here's the link.

http://www.brixwinebar.com/about1.html