PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Ideas for using up pepperoni!

brendat4
09-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Hi all!

I bought way too much for my freezer exchange group this month (I made BBQ chicken and pepperoni & cheese pizza kits) and I have a HUGE amount of sliced pepperoni leftover. Got any great uses for pepperoni besides the obvious pizza (which I have leftover cheese & pizza crust for, too, to make pizzas by the slice--yum!)

TIA for your help!

txbobbie
09-25-2006, 01:59 PM
I don't know if you have any kids, but this happened to me once and I did an experiment of grilled "pizza" sandwiches. Used the pepperoni and some mozzarela cheese, grilled up some bread like a grilled cheese and the kids went nuts for it! No tomato sauce, just the cheese and pepperoni. They now ask for it all the time...

pretty simple, but, it worked for us! :p

Kathy B
09-25-2006, 02:06 PM
A family favorite...

Italian Chili

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced

Cook meat and vegetables together until no longer pink. Drain fat.

1/2 large bunch celery, chopped
(include several leaves)

Add and saute until celery begins to be transluscent.

Salt and pepper to taste
1 8-oz. can mushroom pieces, drained
1 46-oz. can tomato juice
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 3&1/2-oz. pkg. pepperoni slices
1 can kidney beans, undrained
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 Tablespoon dried sweet basil
1/4-1/2 teaspon hot pepper flakes

Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20-30 minutes. May refrigerate.

Notes: You can substitute fresh mushrooms for canned if you prefer, just add them with the celery and saute.
I always cut the pepperoni pieces in half just to make it easier to eat.

Terri_A
09-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Italian Hoagies, of course!

BucknellAlum
09-25-2006, 02:28 PM
This is a favorite "comfort food" of mine, my mom made it and I followed her, without a real recipe:

2-3 bell peppers, sliced
chopped onion
garlic
sliced pepperoni
chopped tomatoes or 1 can diced tomatoes
hot cooked pasta
paremesan cheese

Saute onions and peppers in olive oil in pan until softened. Add a couple of chopped cloves of garlic and the sliced pepperoni. Add the tomatoes and simmer until heated through. (If you have any leftover tomatoe sauce, you can add a few spoonfuls too).

Serve on top of hot cooked pasta (I like fettucine, but shapes like penne work too). Top with cheese.

jabelt
09-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Here's one of my favorites...

Pepperoni Biscotti
Source: Better Homes & Gardens

Makes about 24 biscotti
Prep: 30 minutes
Bake: 40 minutes
Cool: 1 hour
Stand: 1 hour

Ingredients
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
1/4 cup finely chopped red sweet pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, garlic, sugar, baking powder, and Italian seasoning. Beat until combined. Beat in egg and milk. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in remaining flour, pepperoni, red sweet pepper, onion, and parsley.
2. Knead dough gently until it clings together. Shape dough into two 9x1-1/2-inch rolls. Roll dough rolls in the 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese to coat. Place rolls on prepared cookie sheet; flatten slightly.
3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degree F. Cut each roll crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices, cut side down, on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn and bake for 10 to 12 minutes more or until biscotti are dry and crisp. (Do not overbake.) Transfer biscotti to a wire rack; let cool.

Makes about 24 biscotti.

Terri_A
09-25-2006, 04:28 PM
This is a favorite "comfort food" of mine, my mom made it and I followed her, without a real recipe:

2-3 bell peppers, sliced
chopped onion
garlic
sliced pepperoni
chopped tomatoes or 1 can diced tomatoes
hot cooked pasta
paremesan cheese

Saute onions and peppers in olive oil in pan until softened. Add a couple of chopped cloves of garlic and the sliced pepperoni. Add the tomatoes and simmer until heated through. (If you have any leftover tomatoe sauce, you can add a few spoonfuls too).

Serve on top of hot cooked pasta (I like fettucine, but shapes like penne work too). Top with cheese.

Okay, now that just sounds delish and I'm totally craving it! But alas, I'm off to pick up the weeone from school and to our Monday Night Dinner Out before gymnastics. HoHum....I want to have that recipe for dinner. Perhaps tomorrow night! Thanks for sharing!

Goin' Coastal
09-25-2006, 09:07 PM
These are really good. They make a great meal with a little hearty bread.

PEPPERONI BAKED BEANS

1 can baked beans
1 can hot chili beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can green beans, drained
1 can yellow beans, drained
1 can tomato soup
1 6oz. can tomato paste
1 cup brown sugar
lb. ground hot sausage, browned
lb. ground sweet sausage, browned
1 6-8 oz. pkg. sliced pepperoni
small bottle barbeque sauce
small bottle ketchup

Mix all ingredients together except barbeque sauce and ketchup. Mix the barbeque sauce and ketchup together and spread on top of the beans. Do not stir in. Bake 1 hours uncovered at 350. Requires a large casserole dish about 4 qt.

jjsooner73
09-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Claire's Pepperoni Pie, from Sweetnicks (http://sweetnicks.blogspot.com/2006/01/promises-promises.html) (Missindi) website. It's wonderful, quick, and easy.

Claire's Pepperoni Pie
3/4 cup pepperoni, diced
3/4 cup Muenster cheese, cubed
3/4 cup flour
2 eggs
1 cup milk

Place all the ingredients in a small bowl in the order given. Stir with a slotted spoon until the batter is smooth. The mixture should be lumpy only because of the pepperoni and cheese. Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch pie plate. Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until the center is firm (test with a toothpick). Cut into wedges and serve. Serves 6 to 8.

brendat4
09-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Wow! These ideas are great--keep 'em coming!

And txbobbie, I do have kids so will definitely try the pepperoni "grilled cheese"--sounds easy. Actually, I was thinking that might be good to put between tortillas and serve with pizza sauce (which I have leftover too)--a great after school snack. Will let y'all know if I try it!

Brenda

Beth
09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Make a simple baked zit and add the pepperoni slices, whole cut smaller.

In my house, I'm lucky if my son hasn't eaten all the pepperoni before I want to make something with it. :D

jmarie
09-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Use refrigerated bread sticks and stuff them with the pepperoni and bake them according to package directions for a delicious snack or sandwich. They are always scarfed down when we make them for pool-side activities.

dorothyntototoo
09-26-2006, 04:34 PM
I found a great site: http://hormelpepperoni.com/ a must-see for kids of all ages! It's a Halloween scene with "scary" music. There's a whole table laden with pepperoni dishes - click on them to get the recipes.

tabbykat
09-28-2006, 12:39 AM
I like to make mannicotti or stuffed shells and cut up little peices of pepperoni to mix in with my ricotta mixture. Everyone I have served it to loves it! Also....pepperoni freezes really well.

Apricot
09-28-2006, 03:07 AM
The can make great little snackers if you lay them on a paper towel and throw them in the microwave for 30 sec-1 minute-just til they crisp up but before the burn.

Home Chef
09-28-2006, 11:57 AM
I have a Pepperoni Lasagna recipe that I make and people love it. I know it freezes, I'm a personal chef and make it for clients. I bake it, cut it, package it for them.

Pepperoni Lasagna
serves 9

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 1/2 cups water
8 ounces tomato sauce
6 ounces tomato paste
1 teaspoon beef bouillon, granules
1 teaspoon dried parsley
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
2 large eggs
12 ounces cottage cheese, small curd
1/2 cup sour cream
8 whole lasagna noodles, cooked
3 1/2 ounces pepperoni
8 ounces Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

1.In skillet cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat no longer pink, drain.
2.Add water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, bouillon and seasonings.Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
3.In a bowl, combine eggs, cottage cheese, and sour cream.
4.Spread 1/2 cup meat sauce in greased 13x9 baking dish.
5.Layer with 4 noodles, the cottage cheese and pepperoni.
6.Top with remaining noodles and meat sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.
7.Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer. Let stand before cutting.

MusicMom
09-28-2006, 10:27 PM
We like RR's Pizza Pasta Salad-

Supreme Pizza Pasta Salad
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 servings as a side (seconds
User Rating: 5 Stars

2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
8 fresh white button mushrooms, sliced
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 stick pepperoni, casing removed and cut into a small dice
1 pound ball fresh mozzarella or fresh smoked mozzarella, diced
20 leaves fresh basil, torn or thinly sliced
1 pound wagon wheel pasta, cooked to al dente and cooled under cold water, then drained
Dressing:
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves or Italian dried seasoning
1 rounded tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, eyeball it
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
Freshly ground black pepper

Combine tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, peppers, pepperoni, mozzarella, basil and pasta in a big bowl. Whisk garlic salt, oregano or Italian seasoning, tomato paste and vinegar together. Stream in extra-virgin olive oil while continuing to whisk dressing. When oil is incorporated, pour dressing over pasta salad, add a few grinds of black pepper to the bowl, then toss salad to coat evenly. Adjust your seasonings and serve salad. Leftovers make a great lunch or snack the next day!

Episode#: TM1B67
Copyright 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

heavy hedonist
09-29-2006, 09:39 PM
add cooked slices of pepperoni to chicken breasts that have been sauteed in a little olive oil, toss in some basil or crushed red pepper, serve over rice.

armel
09-30-2006, 12:55 AM
i like to do a salad . . . with romaine, pepperoni, slices of mozarella, pepperocinos, red onions and olives. with an italin dressing of course.