PDA

View Full Version : what to do with buttermilk?

nnb
10-07-2006, 11:15 AM
hi all
I bought some buttermilk to make the pear spice cake in the october issue (it turned out great, except I over-lemoned the glaze - still tasted terrific), but now I have buttermilk in my fridge and don't know how else to use it, other than biscuits - any ideas?

Robyn1007
10-07-2006, 11:27 AM
This board has a search function and by searching for buttermilk you bring up hundreds of threads. Here's one to get you started:

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=87575&highlight=buttermilk

Grace
10-07-2006, 11:33 AM
I keep buttermilk on hand all the time because I use it so much. Pancakes, cakes, chicken marinade, mashed potatoes, Spicy Ranch Chicken wraps, salad dressing, the list goes on and on.

I also suggest the search function - you will come up with all kinds of good ideas! I almost never make anything anymore without searching for info here first (reviews of recipes I want to try, new and interesting ideas for ingredients, etc.).

Gumbeaux
10-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Try using powered buttermilk.

Hammster
10-07-2006, 11:51 AM
I must admit to buying the Jiffy Corn Muffin mix and I always use buttermilk when making the corn muffins. They go great with a nice spicy bowl of chili. :D

Linda in MO
10-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Ditto what Grace and Hammster said. I love cooking w/buttermilk. Here are some recipes for you.

This is good. Make sure you marinate overnight though.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttermilk Grilled Chicken

Recipe By :LHJ online
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken For the Grill
Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
4 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 chickens (3 to 3 1/2 lbs. each), cut up
Lemon wedges, for garnish

Combine buttermilk, ginger, garlic, cumin, salt and red pepper in a bowl. Mix well. Place chicken in a 1-gallon resealable plastic bag. Add marinade, seal bag and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.

Remove chicken from refrigerator 1 hour before grilling. Heat grill. Remove chicken from marinade; grill, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 30 to 45 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.

Makes 8 servings. Perserving: Calories 405, Total Fat 23 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 144 mg, Sodium 501 mg, Carbohydrates 2 g, Protein 45 g,

Source:
"posted by Terrytx"

NOTES : I trimmed all the excess fat and only left a small amount of skin on the chicken. Used ground chipotle instead of cayenne.

I haven't made this yet, but I probably will next week.

Cheddar Batter Bread

Recipe By : Back to the Table by Art Smith
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Yeast Bread

4 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (1/2 stick)
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup water
One 1/4-ounce package active dry yeast
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar or Swiss cheese -- (4 ounces)
1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water -- for glaze

Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the buttermilk and water and heat just until warm to the touch (105 to 115 degrees F). Pour into a large bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk to dissolve the yeast. Whisk in the eggs and hot sauce.

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually stir into the liquid to make a thick batter. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and 3/4 cup of the Cheddar (or Swiss) cheese.

Lightly butter two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans. Spread the batter evenly in the pans. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.

Brush the tops of the loaves with the egg mixture. Bake 25 minutes. Sprinkle the tops of the loaves with the remaining 1/4 cup of shredded Cheddar and bake until the loaves are golden and sound hollow when removed from the pans and tapped on the bottoms, 10 to 15 minutes.

Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks and cool completely. (The breads can be made 2 days ahead, wrapped in aluminum foil, and stored at room temperature.)

NOTES : Recipe created by Art Smith
From Back to the Table by Art Smith

No kneading needed with this moist, flavorful bread. This recipe makes two loaves, so you'll probably want to freeze one. Toast a slice and slather it with Farm Apple Butter for a real treat.

These are yummy!

Jalapeno Jelly Corn Muffins

Recipe By :"Texas Home Cooking" by the Jamison's
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Muffins

1 1/4 Cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup stone ground cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup unsalted butter -- melted
3 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup corn kernals
3/4 cup jalapeno jam or jelly

Preheat over to 375. Grease the muffin pan.
Sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cayenne in a bowl and set aside. In another, larger
bowl, beat together the buttermilk, butter, and sugar. Mix in the eggs, followed by the corn, blending well after each addition. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine lightly.
Spoon about half of the batter -it will be a bit stiff-into the muffin pans, filling each just about 1/3 full. Drop a dollop of jelly, about 1 teaspoon, on top of the batter in each cup. Top with the remaining batter, covering the jelly completely for each muffin.
Bake the muffins 22 - 24 minutes until they are deep golden.

Very good!

Source:
"posted by Dona at Mimi's"

Picnic Oven-Fried Chicken

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken Low-Fat
Main Dish

1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
2 1/2 pounds chicken legs, skin removed, fat trimmed -- (2 1/2 to 3 lbs.)
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
olive oil cooking spray

Whisk buttermilk, mustard, garlic, and hot sauce in a shallow glass dish until well blended. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour or for up to 8 hours.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat it with cooking spray.

Whisk flour, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, baking powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place the flour mixture in a paper bag or large sealable plastic bag. Shaking off excess marinade, place one or two pieces of chicken at a time in the bag and shake to coat. Shake off excess flour and place chicken on the perpared rack. (Discard any left over flour mixture and marinade.) Spray chicken pieces with cooking spray.

Bake the chicken until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 40 to 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer should register 180 degrees.

per serving: 227 cal, 7g fat, 130mg chol, 5g carb, 34g pro, 1 g fiber, 262mg sod.

Source:
"Eating Well-summer/03"

NOTES : EW-summer/03-another really big winner. DD said it tasted like KFC (it didn't really, but better!) Terrytx

my notes: I used a cut up chicken instead of just legs, so I upped all the other ingredients a bit. I skinned all the pieces except the wings. Also, I accidentally left out the garlic in the buttermilk mixture, so I just added some garlic powder to the coating mixture. The whole family loved it! A definite repeater! I served it with buttermilk mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, marinated cucumbers, sliced yellow tomatoes, and leftover potato chive bread.

Here's a very good basice pancake recipe.

Buttermilk Pancakes

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. December 2000. Page: 208.
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breakfast Low-Fat

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray

1. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just to combine. Batter will be lumpy.

2. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Yield: 9 (4-inch) pancakes (serving size: 1 pancake).

NOTES : To freeze any leftovers, place wax paper between pancakes, and wrap them tightly in foil.

I make 1 1/2 batches at a time and add a splash of vanilla. Sometimes I add diced banana, cinnamon, and nutmeg OR blueberries.

Buttermilk Spice Coffee Cake...
http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=21431&highlight=buttermilk+spice+coffee+cake

Buttermilk Berry Coffee Cake with Lemon Spice Topping ...
http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=85573&highlight=buttermilk+spice+coffee+cake

colleency
10-07-2006, 01:50 PM
I subbed 1 cup buttermilk and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for milk in my waffles this morning.

memartha
10-07-2006, 01:59 PM
You can also freeze buttermilk. I put it in one cup increments in ziplock freezer bags.

Paula H
10-08-2006, 02:44 AM
You can also freeze buttermilk. I put it in one cup increments in ziplock freezer bags.

This is what I do too. Then it's (almost) always on hand when you need some!

Kingwell
10-08-2006, 07:10 AM
I love from-scratch buttermilk pancakes. That's one great option.

Also, Cooking Light's buttermilk-brined pork chops is one of my very favorite CL recipes. It introduced me to buttermilk as a marinade and was a great weeknight meal.

jimjimmerjim
10-08-2006, 11:02 AM
The buttermilk is really good in these potatoes. This is one of my all time favorite CL recipes.

Blue Cheese and Bacon Twice-Baked Potatoes
You can stuff and refrigerate the potato shells up to two days ahead. Add about five minutes to the cook time if starting with cold potatoes. Serve with everything from steak to Thanksgiving dinner.

5 (12-ounce) baking potatoes
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

Preheat oven to 375.
Bake potatoes at 375 for 1 hour or until tender. Cool 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Cut each potato in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. Place potato pulp, buttermilk, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Spoon about 1/2 cup potato mixture into each of 8 shells (reserve remaining shells for another use). Arrange stuffed shells on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed shell)

CALORIES 264(25% from fat); FAT 7.4g (sat 3.8g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 8.5g; CHOLESTEROL 20mg; CALCIUM 117mg; SODIUM 658mg; FIBER 3.8g; IRON 2.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 41.7g
Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2005