PDA

View Full Version : Sports Bars

m4star
02-19-2001, 10:24 AM
This weekend I tried out a Luna bar while hiking (made by the same people who make Cliff Bars) and was suprised at how rich they are. I tried the chocolate pecan pie kind and it was really decadent.

I have tried a few other types of bars out there and none of them were very satisfying. They tend to be kind of gritty. Does anyone have any other ones they recommend? Or perhaps a recipe to make your own?

emilycat
02-19-2001, 10:30 AM
I think you'll find some great ideas on this thread http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif
http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/Forum2/HTML/000144.html

hhcowgirl
02-19-2001, 12:09 PM
Clif bars rule! I especially like the cookies and cream ones. However, I find that most energy bars (especially Clif) are too high in calories and sometimes fat for me to eat as only a snack, so I will either eat half of one before a run or yoga class, or use them as a meal replacement when I am really in a crunch. I have seen lots of my friends gain weight/fail to lose by not comprehending the caloric content of energy bars and using them as "snacks."

m4star
02-19-2001, 12:31 PM
I agree that most energy bars are too high in calories to be eaten daily as a snack. Personally, I'd rather have some cereal, oatmeal, a huge salad or a pb&j instead for the same amount of calories. However, if you're like me, you need to feel as if you are "treating" yourself now and then to something special. I've found that the chocolate varieties are really a nice treat, especially on days when I go hiking.

I'm going to try some of the other Luna bar flavors. They sound delicious. I've eaten Power Bars (too gummy), Balance bars (too gritty) and Weight Watcher bars (I recommend the chocolate covered cookie dough when you are having a sweet attack. Yes, they have 220 calories but it's better than a pint of Ben & Jerry's).

RUSTYSMOM
02-19-2001, 01:06 PM
I really like the Peanut Butter Power bars - I keep them at work for when I have not had time to eat and need to hold myself over. They are very dense but tasty.

MaryH
02-19-2001, 05:37 PM
Well, have to say I'm anti-Clif bar. never could get used to them. My vote goes for Balance Bars. You can get them at Costco.

Kristilyn1
02-19-2001, 05:43 PM
I like the Luna bars myself. I also like the Power Bar/Harvest bars.

For the hard core exercising I like GU, which I think tastes better than Power Gel.

Kristi

pmmahan
02-20-2001, 08:30 AM
I think the Clif bars are too dense for me (and caloric, you're right, hhcowgirl). I've been eating Balance bars and Luna bars and I tried Odwalla bars last week, which are pretty good (they're a cross between a sports bar and a granola bar) - all natural, dairy free, whole grain...they are more like the Clif bars in terms of texture.
My problem with these Sports bars is that they are so high in sugar. I think they might be a detriment more than a help. http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/frown.gif

emilycat
02-20-2001, 10:36 AM
Although I think power bars can be a great pick-me-up on occasion for a pre-workout or portable snack, I really consider them to be merely a glorified dessert with some nutritional perks. As many of you have already said, they're so high in calories and sugar, yet they're marketed in such a way as to have created this huge industry that has people clamoring after something they think is so good for them.

I'm not saying I don't like them; I think Luna and Clif bars are a delicious treat -- but I only eat them for dessert on occasion. I just wish, on the same lines that hhcowgirl was speaking, that they weren't overrated by so many people who zone in on them because they're "health food."

I felt like dissenting today http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

Emily

SandyM
02-20-2001, 10:38 AM
I'll have to admit, when I saw the title of this post, I thought it was going to list some awesome places to drink beer and watch hockey! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/biggrin.gif (I know, I know, it's the Healthy Living board)

MaryH
02-20-2001, 04:21 PM
So did I!!

Now if only we could get those hashers out there to get us a map to a bar!

aggie94
02-20-2001, 04:51 PM
I don't generally eat any energy/sports bars or gels unless I'm desperate during a race, but my husband has tried a number of them and he thinks that the Harvest Bars (by Powerbar) are the best (any flavor but chocolate, according to him, but in particular the blueberry). I've heard from other people that they're good, too. On a sort of related note, a friend of mine from law school ran track with a son of the creator of Powerbar. Their track team was the guinea pig for some early versions of what finally became the original Powerbar (yes, that gummy, chew-for-twenty-minutes-before-you-swallow bar). If you think they're bad, he says you should have tried some of the early versions!

MrsReber
03-07-2001, 12:47 PM
Ha ha ha! Sandy and Mary, I thought the same thing when I saw it!!

RUSTYSMOM
03-07-2001, 11:35 PM
Yikes - just what I need, one more addiction. I recently tried Carrot Cake Clif Bars - they are yummy. Definately a treat at 240 calories. THey do have 5 grams of fiber (4gfat) which is pretty good. I am hooked.....