PDA

View Full Version : Need Copycat recipe for a soup from Chili's--cheese and broccoli

wallycat
10-27-2006, 12:39 PM
My neighbor stopped by this morning wondering if I could post this question --I tell her about this BB all the time :p
She loved the Chili's broccoli and cheese soup. She mentioned it has just the right zip (heat I presume) and loved it.
Was wondering if anyone knows the recipe they use or knows where I can locate it...I've tried surfing for the copycat type recipes and none have popped up, but I did a quick search only.

TIA :)

funniegrrl
10-27-2006, 12:54 PM
I checked the Top Secret Recipes site, and they have a number of Chili's recipes, but not that soup. SHe could always send Todd a request, he might do it sooner or later.

Lillith
10-27-2006, 01:01 PM
This is a copycat recipe for Panera Bread's Broccoli Cheese Soup. I know you were looking for Chili's but I've had this soup and it is GOOD.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
1/2 pound fresh broccoli
1 cup carrots, julienned
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar

Directions:

Saute onion in butter. Set aside. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux). Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now. Pour in batches into blender and puree. Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in the nutmeg and serve.

Hammster
10-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Here's one from Razzledazzle recipes that looks close because it has some cayenne and dry mustard in it that would make it zippy.

Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup

2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 cups lowfat milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 10 ounce package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, drained
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
6 ounces sharp or extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons chopped chives or green onion tops

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook and stir 30 seconds or until bubbly.

Add milk, salt, mustard and cayenne pepper; bring to a simmer over high heat, stirring frequently.

Add broccoli and red pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add cheese; stir over low heat just until cheese melts, do not boil. Ladle into four soup bowls; top with chives.

little_bopeep
10-27-2006, 01:39 PM
This one is from Black Eyed Pea, and I think it's wonderful (even with Velveeta).

Black Eyed Pea Broccoli Cheese Soup

Notes:
This is an incredibly rich, and tasty version of this soup. The Black Eyed Pea is a restaurant known for their homecooked food.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. Broccoli - fresh
2 C. Water
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 C. Cornstarch mixed with 1-cup water
1 pint half-and-half
1 pound pasteurized processed cheese (Velveeta)
1/2 tsp. pepper

Preparation:
Steam broccoli until tender. Place half-and-half and water in top of double boiler. Add cheese, salt and pepper. Heat until cheese is melted. Add broccoli. Mix cornstarch and water in small bowl. Stir into cheese mixture in double boiler and heat over simmering water until soup thickens.