PDA

View Full Version : Where in the grocery store will I find...

Terri_A
10-27-2006, 09:48 PM
dried egg whites??? I need them for a recipe, but have no idea where to look! I shop primarily at a Kroger if that helps.

Thanks guys!

Robyn1007
10-27-2006, 09:56 PM
In the baking aisle, I think.

ClaraB
10-27-2006, 09:56 PM
I think they might go under another name - meringue something maybe?? I have a can at home that I got in the cake decorating section at walmart a while back. Maybe the baking section at Kroger?

funniegrrl
10-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Meringue is actually different than dry egg whites.

The egg whites are in the baking section, usually near the dry buttermilk. Meringue powder (which is most commonly used in frostings) is usually closer to the icing-in-a-tube, IF you can find it in the supermarket at all. Often you have to go to a specialty store (such as a craft store that carries Wilton products) to get meringue powder.

sneezles
10-28-2006, 12:25 AM
dried egg whites??? I need them for a recipe, but have no idea where to look! I shop primarily at a Kroger if that helps.

Thanks guys!

Sometimes it helps to have a picture...http://www.shopnatural.com/product/5618.jpg

Terri_A
10-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Sneezles - you ROCK! I was planning on asking next what the packaging looks like! I'm off to Kroger to buy dried egg whites ( and maybe a donut!).

RebelsLGB
10-29-2006, 06:56 AM
Meringue is actually different than dry egg whites.

The egg whites are in the baking section, usually near the dry buttermilk. Meringue powder (which is most commonly used in frostings) is usually closer to the icing-in-a-tube, IF you can find it in the supermarket at all. Often you have to go to a specialty store (such as a craft store that carries Wilton products) to get meringue powder.

I ran out of Meringue poweder (wilton) and picked up some of the dry egg whites at the grocery store (didnt have time to go to Michaels). When I opened the can, it looked exactly the same, and worked just as good in the frosting for my cake.