PDA

View Full Version : How to measure molasses?

veschke
11-02-2006, 08:30 AM
When measuring molasses, should you use a wet or dry measure?

In making the BA Sugar-Topped Molasses Spice Cookies, I used a wet measuring cup, and the results made me think that maybe it should have been the other way.....

bobmark226
11-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Well, it is a liquid, so I always use wet, and like honey, spray lightly with oil before pouring it in.

Bob

doggerham
11-02-2006, 08:35 AM
With liquids, I don't think its supposed to make a difference. I seem to remember reading that somewhere. I think its because liquid has a constant volume, whereas flour, etc doesn't.

matt
11-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Try spray the cup or the measuring spoons in non stick cooking spray, i know the tip works well with honey but i dont see why it would not work with molasses

veschke
11-02-2006, 08:47 AM
With liquids, I don't think its supposed to make a difference. I seem to remember reading that somewhere. I think its because liquid has a constant volume, whereas flour, etc doesn't.

And you're right! I just did a comparison (using water), and they are just about the same. The cookies seemed *very* molasses-y so I thought maybe I had used too much.

Well, now I have learned something today. :-)

sneezles
11-02-2006, 08:54 AM

I always thought you used a liquid measure for liquids because of the meniscus line.

bobmark226
11-02-2006, 09:10 AM
And you're right! I just did a comparison (using water), and they are just about the same. The cookies seemed *very* molasses-y so I thought maybe I had used too much.

Well, now I have learned something today. :-)

LOL, well, they are a Molasses cookie, are they not? ;) Did you by some chance use blackstrap rather than "light"?

Bob

ADM
11-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Well, it is a liquid, so I always use wet, and like honey, spray lightly with oil before pouring it in.Bob

Rinsing the measuring cup with really hot water before adding the honey, syrup, molasses, etc, makes pouring much easier.

veschke
11-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Did you by some chance use blackstrap rather than "light"?

"Grandma's" brand unsulphured. Maybe I'll just try using a little bit less next time -- they are *very* good cookies....

Wendy w
11-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Baker-s-Catalogue-Wonder/dp/B0000DJUGA

Last December Loren (Gracie) came to town and she, Colleen, & I went to a chef's supply store and she sung the praises of these. I ended up buying one another day and really like it for honey, shortening, syrup and other sticky items. Added bonus, it has metric measurements too.

valchemist
11-02-2006, 12:15 PM
I always thought you used a liquid measure for liquids because of the meniscus line.

yeah, whether you use a solid or liquid measuring cup for the molasses won't make enough of a difference in the cookies to notice. the liquid measuring cups are just better designed for measuring the liquids, as far as I know.

anyway, I always use a scale to measure my molasses (or honey or syrup, etc.).

Clover
11-02-2006, 01:20 PM
anyway, I always use a scale to measure my molasses (or honey or syrup, etc.).
Is the weight and the volume the same for these things? So, if the recipe calls for 1/4 cup, I could add 2 oz by weight? Even then, I'd need a conversion table for 1/3 cup. What if the recipe is in metric? Do milliliters weigh the same as grams? I'd much rather weigh sticky liquids if I can.

dneilson
11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Is the weight and the volume the same for these things? So, if the recipe calls for 1/4 cup, I could add 2 oz by weight? Even then, I'd need a conversion table for 1/3 cup. What if the recipe is in metric? Do milliliters weigh the same as grams? I'd much rather weigh sticky liquids if I can.

I can understand your confusion, Clover...

but a cup of molasses weighs 11.25 oz.

Half a cup is 5.625 (5-3/4 is close enough ....though I'd rather err on the scant side [5-1/2] and add a drop or two if I need the extra moisture)

A cup of bread flour weighs 5 oz.
A cup of water weighs 8 oz. I weigh everything..even leavenings in grams.

There is an extremely useful chart in Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Cake Bible" that I've memorized. Perhaps you can copy those pages from your local library if you would like to start weighing your ingredients. Much more reliable to weigh.

Dolores

Clover
11-02-2006, 04:27 PM
There is an extremely useful chart in Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Cake Bible" that I've memorized. Perhaps you can copy those pages from your local library if you would like to start weighing your ingredients.
Dolores
Thank you, I'll take a look at it at the library.

valchemist
11-02-2006, 04:29 PM
as dolores said, they aren't the same weight as water (ie 1/4 cup doesn't equal 2 oz). you need a conversion chart. I have one that came with my digital scale but you can find them online. I use grams instead of ounces since it is more precise. ml are not the same as grams.

funnybone
11-02-2006, 06:26 PM
I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Baker-s-Catalogue-Wonder/dp/B0000DJUGA

Last December Loren (Gracie) came to town and she, Colleen, & I went to a chef's supply store and she sung the praises of these. I ended up buying one another day and really like it for honey, shortening, syrup and other sticky items. Added bonus, it has metric measurements too.

I use one of those too. No spraying with oil and no gooey residue.